Home General Discussion

Elitism in Cigar Shops?

2»

Comments

• GoatmilkGoatmilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    I only have one B&M nearby and I rarely go there because of the limited selection and the staff. The owner usually walks in the humidor and just watches me but never seems to be of much help. He only makes comments like "im going to have to start charging you rent" if I can't seem to make up my mind. My mother went in one year looking for some smokes for me for Christmas. When she told the guy that my brother owned a cigar shop his response was "why aren't you buying from him then?" Last time I was there he tried telling me they usually charge for the bags they put the cigars in but since I was buying "good sticks" he'd let me have one. Then he wanted $5 for an empty opus box.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Goatmilk:
    I only have one B&M nearby and I rarely go there because of the limited selection and the staff. The owner usually walks in the humidor and just watches me but never seems to be of much help. He only makes comments like "im going to have to start charging you rent" if I can't seem to make up my mind. My mother went in one year looking for some smokes for me for Christmas. When she told the guy that my brother owned a cigar shop his response was "why aren't you buying from him then?" Last time I was there he tried telling me they usually charge for the bags they put the cigars in but since I was buying "good sticks" he'd let me have one. Then he wanted $5 for an empty opus box.
    damn, what a jerk. Though boxes usually cost some money.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm lucky... I have one of the best shops I've ever been to around the corner. Otherwise, I can think of very few positive experiences other then the random shop where the owner had a closet full of Cubans behind a book shelf.
    We have a place here in Mass that sells them out the back room. I watched a guy buy 2 Bolivars for 30 bucks.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    The nearest real B&M I have are about 40 minutes south, which wasn't a big deal when I was dating a woman down that way. The staff at one was helpful (and awful easy on the eyes), at the other they didn't bug me while I browsed, which I prefer. The only "smoke shops" I have in my town are great, if you're looking for "water pipes" or "herb" grinders. College town, what're ya gonna do?

I'm up in pdx about every other weekend for grad school, would you mind PM'ing me the shops you like?
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    The only problem I had with this was in Orlando, Florida at the Corona Cigar Co. I walked in and I was looked at like some punk who didn't know what he was doing. And I kept getting those looks until I left. Sucked bc I was really looking forward to seeing that place.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    I have been to a few b and m's and some are cool and some suck. Good thing is where I'm at, if I don't like them I don't go back. I like to browse on my own and if I have a question I will call them over, if not i prefer to be left alone when picking a cigar. I know what I like and don't venture out too much. I know what price my cigars are going for online and should be at b and m's. I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks to keep the lounges open but I hate when I see a place haveing a "sale" and the cigars are 3x more than online.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    Jasonc1982:
    The only problem I had with this was in Orlando, Florida at the Corona Cigar Co. I walked in and I was looked at like some punk who didn't know what he was doing. And I kept getting those looks until I left. Sucked bc I was really looking forward to seeing that place.
    i had that happen to me at corona until i started talking about the different leaves i like and whatnot, the guy just got a confused look on his face and i never had any more trouble. This was at the sand lake location back in july. An older guy who worked there helped my out a lot afterwords, and i know i looked like a kid, old shorts and a tee shirt, 3 day beard, and sandals.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Jasonc1982:

I was in there a few years ago. I was picking up some Drew Estates for my pops and picked up some Lanceros for myself. I first asked where the infused stuff was and then picked up mine. I remember a comment to the effect of.... Lanceros AND infused huh?? Strange combo..... But other then that it was a great place.
  • nickiamnickiam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 603
    Rain:
    "Who put those cubans in my wall behind the book shelf?!"

They were there when i bought the store! I swear!
  • nickiamnickiam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 603
    Rain:
    "Who put those cubans in my wall behind the book shelf?!"

They were there when i bought the store! I swear!
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Talk about elitist! The owner of my B&M always gets in a huff over me wanting to relax in his lounge when I smoke. But I'm sorry, I just can't relax with my pants on. Pull off the pretentiousness turnpike, man!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Vision:
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm lucky... I have one of the best shops I've ever been to around the corner. Otherwise, I can think of very few positive experiences other then the random shop where the owner had a closet full of Cubans behind a book shelf.
    We have a place here in Mass that sells them out the back room. I watched a guy buy 2 Bolivars for 30 bucks.

Really?
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    I simply ask, if this cigar is crap, why would you carry it in YOUR store?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    mmccartneydc:
    I simply ask, if this cigar is crap, why would you carry it in YOUR store?
    lol, well some people like crap cigars and others don't know. Then again crap to one person is gold to another. I fight with my father in law all the time about how he needs to stop smoking black and milds.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    This thread is very entertaining yet slightly sad at the same time! How do so many as$holes make it into the cigar business!? The service portion, no less!!

I will never forget when I went down to TN. Very nice store, but with some punk working. He was all about following me around asking what I like, but more so telling me about what he likes and doesn't like and how the new Room 101 is the best cigar ever. I literally heard him say to someone, "Well if you don't want to try this cigar from me talking about it, then I just don't know what you want." I almost told him where he could stick his precious daruma.

Then, Ive been to fantastic B&Ms where they show you the humidor and let you have at it unless you ask for help, always friendly never pretentious. Needless to say, I spend about 10x as much in those places