Home General Discussion

Plastic Wrapper

Tony CurtisTony Curtis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Is it better to keep your cigars in the plastic wrapper in the humidor or unwrapped?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    there is no plastic on cigars, only cellophane.

and it makes no difference save for the ones in your head.

they will survive just fine either way.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Tony Curtis:
    Is it better to keep your cigars in the plastic wrapper in the humidor or unwrapped?
    Welcome to the forum Tony. There is a great debate as far as cello on or off. If you type Cello in the search function in the upper right, you can read to your hearts desire on both sides of the topic. the general feeling on the subject is exactly what kuzi is saying.

btw, shoot over to the newbie welcoming thread and introduce yourself. there is a lot of really nice and knowledgeable people around here. I hope you decide to say for a while.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    Cigars absorb moisture through cellophane wrappers. This is why they are stored and sold this way. The main advantage to keeping your sticks in the cellophane is basically that they are protected. When you are rooting around in your humi you might damage a stick here and there. Why risk it?

I have a cooler I turned into a humi which I use for storage and two desktop humis that I typically smoke out of. In my coolidor, I use cellophane. I dig through that thing looking for sticks all the time so it's basically a necessity. I was told ( I believe mistakenly) when I was beginning to enjoy nice cigars that they age better without the cellophane. So in my desktop humis, I kept the cello off. Now that I'm a litter wiser and hung out with some other enthusiasts, I've seen and tasted aged cigars with both the cello on and off. I don't think it really matters nearly as much as the care taken of the environment of the cigar. What DOES matter is how it looks to you. Some people think it looks tacky or whatever to keep the cello on. I used to be like that but once I dinged up a nice stick or two I got over my poor attempt at snobbery and started leaving the cellophane on.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    Tony Curtis:
    leave em wrapped to avoid damage!
    on a totally unrelated note. i have an uncle tony curtis!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Big T smokes:
    Cigars absorb moisture through cellophane wrappers. This is why they are stored and sold this way. The main advantage to keeping your sticks in the cellophane is basically that they are protected. When you are rooting around in your humi you might damage a stick here and there. Why risk it?

I have a cooler I turned into a humi which I use for storage and two desktop humis that I typically smoke out of. In my coolidor, I use cellophane. I dig through that thing looking for sticks all the time so it's basically a necessity. I was told ( I believe mistakenly) when I was beginning to enjoy nice cigars that they age better without the cellophane. So in my desktop humis, I kept the cello off. Now that I'm a litter wiser and hung out with some other enthusiasts, I've seen and tasted aged cigars with both the cello on and off. I don't think it really matters nearly as much as the care taken of the environment of the cigar. What DOES matter is how it looks to you. Some people think it looks tacky or whatever to keep the cello on. I used to be like that but once I dinged up a nice stick or two I got over my poor attempt at snobbery and started leaving the cellophane on.
    +1