Home General Discussion

cigar tracking

jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
So I just spent the last 2 hours creating an Microsoft Excel sheet tracking all my cigars. Anyone else did this? If so, what kinds of columns and format in general did you guys use? Maybe I can use some of ya'lls ideas and make my tracking better.

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I have a Google Docs spreadsheet that includes Quantity, Brand, Blend, Wrapper, Length, RG, Date, Aquired From, Price, and Notes. In the row below the headers I have a cell that keeps a total number. There is also another sheet that I keep generic notes in for reference.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    cool. I pretty much have the same thing. my columns are...

Cigar Brand
    Cigar Description
    Box Code
    Type of Box
    Inventory Check Date
    Vitola
    Number of Cigars Currently in Box
    Jiunn's Comments
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I've thought about it as well... Really, I think brand, date, price, and RG/vitola are most important for something like this. Qty will change as you smoke, I wouldn't want to worry about updating that every time I had one. However, I think a seperate doc with notes on flavor or note changes would be cool to track the change.
    catfishbluezz:
    I've thought about it as well... Really, I think brand, date, price, and RG/vitola are most important for something like this. Qty will change as you smoke, I wouldn't want to worry about updating that every time I had one. However, I think a seperate doc with notes on flavor or note changes would be cool to track the change.
    oh yea good call on the tasting notes thing. I'm going to cross reference each vitola to my tasting notes then.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    You guys are way to disciplined.
    I got one of those apps to keep track of the cigars and by the time I got it all done, it was way outdated.
    So now I keep track using "oh yeah, now I remember that one."
    or "Wait, have I tried that one? It sounds familiar."
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    For me the spreadsheet plays into idea behind the recent thread about being more interested in other parts of the hobby other than actually smoking the cigar.
    0patience:
    You guys are way to disciplined.
    I got one of those apps to keep track of the cigars and by the time I got it all done, it was way outdated.
    So now I keep track using "oh yeah, now I remember that one."
    or "Wait, have I tried that one? It sounds familiar."
    hahah. I used to do that exact same thing as you. But now I want to start taking notes of how the cigar tastes at different points of it's aging. I'm a Finance guy and this is kinda like the way I think. nawh i'm sayin
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    oh yea good call on the tasting notes thing. I'm going to cross reference each vitola to my tasting notes then.
    yeah...I mean, there is such a huge differnceni really. For example, upmann majestic and no 2 are totally different then mag46. Then you got the changes as well. Another thing is wrapper color. One of the reasons I won't order monte is half are light, half dark... Dark ones are awesome, light ones suck! But all upmann, boli, party, hoyo, VR seem to be the same color
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    I just use the Cigar Geeks online humidor.
    Steve2010:
    thanks for the lead. I'll check it out. hopefully they have that app for android
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    jliu:
    Steve2010:
    thanks for the lead. I'll check it out. hopefully they have that app for android
    I use it as well, thanks to you Steve. It's nice. Obviously, no program is going to have everything "you" want, but this one does enough for me.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    No problem. It's pretty cool. Have you tried the "Pick My Cigar" option? I've only used it a few times when I'm really undecided as to what to smoke.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I use excel also. My columns are brand, vitola, quantity which I update every time I smoke one, date entered into my humi, country of origin, and box code if it has one. Works great because at any time I know down to exact quantity what I have.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    I use rate my cigar for android
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    i use stogie rate haven't run across a cigar that it doesn't have in their database complete with wrapper pictures.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Id do this if I bought boxes.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I stop keep tracking of my cigars.
    danielzreyes:
    Id do this if I bought boxes.
    ya I'm only tracking my box purchases. all those loose singles I have I dont even want to start getting anywhere near trying to track them. i'll just smoke em haha
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    As a college student, I just finished a semmester of Android Programming. For my final project, I created a "proof of concept" for a Cigar Invertory App. The teacher's comments were "I want to see that App fully developed and on the App store within 2 years!". I was shocked....you see, I'm a grampa and I had one of the highest marks in that course.

My app would get a rating of "sucks" right now, but it's just a prototype. In order for it to be useful, I would have to make it with web support, database driven. My final app (if I find time to finish it) will:
    • Have Internet Support
    • Will have an area for tasting notes
    • Will have a rating system (rate the stick, not the app, lol)
    • Will have a review section that you will be allowed to 'share with users'
    • and would include most of the great suggestions on this forum from the best BOTL and SOTL anywhere!

• T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 256
    We were/are keeping track of our with a spreadsheet too, but cat's right. It's too big of a pain in the neck to try to keep everything us to date, especially when you all got crazy and started blowing up our mailbox. It is nice to have though. I added another sheet for people's names and addresses so we could keep try of all of the punches to the face that were thrown our way.
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 432
    Would love to do one as well but just seems like a massive task. Any way I can see how you started yours like format wise and such?
    CigarMan37:
    Would love to do one as well but just seems like a massive task. Any way I can see how you started yours like format wise and such?
    I dont think I can attached my excel file here but the below list represents my columns. If you're interested in seeing my overall excel format layout, feel free to PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

Cigar Brand
    Cigar Description
    Box Code
    Type of Box
    Inventory Check Date
    Vitola
    Number of Cigars Currently in Box
    Jiunn's Comments
    thanks everyone else for your suggestions! after I get this thing revised with cross referring tasting notes, it goinz to be bangin
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    If you want to make it easy to share, consider using Google docs.
    SleevePlz:
    If you want to make it easy to share, consider using Google docs.
    beebebbebebbe dododododo. considering.... ok, sounds good. if anyone wants to check it out, PM me your email and I can let you have access to it.