Home General Discussion

Graycliff Factory In Nassau Bahamas

edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and one of the stops is Nassau Bahamas. I researched and there seems to be a Graycliff Cigar Factory 10 minutes away from where the ship will dock. Has anyone gone there? How is it and is there anything you recommend to do? The factory tour is free but they do have a Learn How To Roll class for $75 per person and a Cigar & Rum Pairing for $105 per person. Also their lounge and restaurant is additional which I plan to go to as well. Any insight feel free to respond.

Comments

• blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I don't have any info or experience for you, but if you go for the tour or whatever make sure you update with lots of pictures.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I will most definitely post pics...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I am with MWeber this weekend and he has been there twice, nothing but good things to say...I will have him post here or send you a PM.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    Yes great experience to see their rolling tables, aging room and restaurant and grounds. Don't expect discounted smokes from the gift shop. If you speak to a manager there you can go into the walk in storage humi where smokes have come out of aging and only bundles waiting to be sorts and boxed. I think they have denigrated since I went in 2010? Not sure though so don't quote me. Enjoy!!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I can't wait... This will be my first cigar tour....
  • mwebermweber Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    edelrionyc:
    It is such a cool place. For free they will take you on a tour of the grounds, tell you stats about the place, and give you a tour of the rolling room. The first time we went we got to see all the rollers (theres only like 12 of them, but the second time they were all on vacation and only 1 was there. They might have the Chocolate Factory going now too. Not sure. When we went the first time, the rolling room and the lounge was in a different building than what it is in now. I liked the first one better, as it was more old and vintage looking. The new one is still cool, but definitely more modern and not as "OMG". As NightHawk said, don't expect any discounts on cigars. $18 to $22 a pop or so. What I WOULD recommend tho, is getting the smokes you cant really find around here. I.E. the Emerald and the Heritage. Maybe get one or 2 of each or something. DEFINITELY spend the $75 or whatever it is to do a private cigar rolling lesson. They will show you how to roll the first one, then they will let you roll a few. I got to roll 3 on my own. So, for the lesson and 4 smokes its $75. Which, isnt terrible. Plus, your on vacation. This has to be set up in advance though. Call them and set this up. Trust me on this one. They dont need money until after the lesson.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    edelrionyc:

Well, the good news is you're going at a good time of year. My wife and I went during June which, to me is the absolute worst time to do it. Being 'off-season', the restaurant was closed, no tours were offered, no learning how to roll a cigar, nothing. We had hired a driver who had connections and he got us into the dinky little showroom where I was able to buy some cigars at prices higher than anywhere else. I was also allowed to step into the rolling room and watch a couple torcedores do their thing. Of course, the tip jar was prominently displayed at their work station. All in all, it was quite underwhelming.

Now, the bad news is that those exhorbitantly high-priced sticks I bought had some beetles in them. Even worse, they were found in sticks I had bought for a BOTL here on the forum. Pretty embarrassing....

And as for learning how to roll a cigar, save your money to buy cigars with and learn how to roll for free on YouTube. Not only will you have extra bucks for cigars but you'll get a better view of what the torcedores are doing.

Just my $.02. Being the better time of year, you'll probably have a better time than we did. I sure hope so.... I now have a one-man boycott going against all Graycliff products. im jus' sayin.....br>
  • mwebermweber Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    jlmarta:
    edelrionyc:

Well, the good news is you're going at a good time of year. My wife and I went during June which, to me is the absolute worst time to do it. Being 'off-season', the restaurant was closed, no tours were offered, no learning how to roll a cigar, nothing. We had hired a driver who had connections and he got us into the dinky little showroom where I was able to buy some cigars at prices higher than anywhere else. I was also allowed to step into the rolling room and watch a couple torcedores do their thing. Of course, the tip jar was prominently displayed at their work station. All in all, it was quite underwhelming.

Now, the bad news is that those exhorbitantly high-priced sticks I bought had some beetles in them. Even worse, they were found in sticks I had bought for a BOTL here on the forum. Pretty embarrassing....

And as for learning how to roll a cigar, save your money to buy cigars with and learn how to roll for free on YouTube. Not only will you have extra bucks for cigars but you'll get a better view of what the torcedores are doing.

Just my $.02. Being the better time of year, you'll probably have a better time than we did. I sure hope so.... I now have a one-man boycott going against all Graycliff products. im jus' sayin.....br>
    Dang, what a crappy experience... Sucks you had to go at a bad time...
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    mweber:
    jlmarta:
    edelrionyc:

Dang, what a crappy experience... Sucks you had to go at a bad time...

And, to make matters worse, after my calling the cruise line to verify that there was a cigar lounge aboard before I even bought my tickets, and being assured that the Captain Cook lounge was a cigar lounge, once we were aboard we learned that it was NOT a cigar lounge and the only place I could smoke a cigar was on the highest rearmost deck on the ship - where the wind continually blows furiously. Needless to say, I was royally P1SSED.....

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    jlmarta:
    edelrionyc:

+1 for me here buddy. I dont wanna damper anythign because the place is beautiful and I LOVE everything to do with cigars. But when I went in July it was hot and dead. Had to find someone to buy a cigar from in the cigar room. My sister and I walked around for about 30 mins and worried maybe somone had massacred the workers or something, lol. That said, the place is beautiful and despite the issues I would probably go again if I had the time.
  • HailSouthern!HailSouthern! Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Wow crazy to be back here. This is probably my first post on here since 2006, but glad I caught this thread.

I went down December 2005 and someone on this forum gave me the advice to walk to the hotel and go to the cigar shop. I bought 3 or 4 sticks, and like others they allowed me to walk in where they were rolling the cigars. I thought that was a pretty cool experience and it made me a big Graycliff fan.

And then I said to the worker "now that i've bought some of your brands, I was wondering if you could let me know where I could buy some other brands nearby...since i've heard you have to be careful with counterfeits."

They took me around the grounds, past the hotel's office, and into a room where they kept their non Graycliff stash. He basically told me "grab whatever you want and i'll give you the price."

I still see the Monte #2 I took back to the ship in my dreams at night. If you are cordial and willing to spend money, I bet they will take good care of you. At least that was my experience years back. Still a fan to this day, and used to always buy a Graycliff at the lounge in the Nashville airport traveling for business. Good luck!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I have a friend from childhood who went there on his honeymoon. He'd smoked a few cigars, but was not really a 'cigar guy' in any way. His new bride definitely was not either. They both had a fantastic time, though, and highly recommended the place to me if I ever get down there, and that guy was (at least for a time, I haven't spoken to him in a couple years) somewhat converted to cigars. I couldn't sell my wife on the Bahamas for our honeymoon so I haven't been...yet. :D