Home General Discussion

Liga Privada Papas Fritas

OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
Just did a little bit of reading on this stick, and from what I can see everyone seems to enjoy it. I know it's made with No.9 short cuts, but that's fine because the No.9 is one of my favorite sticks. Looked like a pretty nice smoke, and was just curious if anyone had tried one.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I wonder if it produces as much smoke as a 9.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Nope,, me and LP are through, wont ever spend another cent on another DE product ever!!!
    Gonna go smoke an undercrown,,,,
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    The Kid:
    Nope,, me and LP are through, wont ever spend another cent on another DE product ever!!!
    whys that
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Good buddy of mine, Joe, who loves the LP9 said it was good(and even held a decent ash). Lasted him just over 30min and said it smoked like any other LP(A LOT)...he gave it a thumbs up but wishes it was $1-2 cheaper per stick for the limited duration of the smoke.

If you like the LP9, I wouldn't hesitate to get at least a tin of them to try...especially for these winter months where a short smoke can come in handy!
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Sigh,,,,please pm me your addy!!!!!!
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Did yours explode with black oil like 2 of mine have?
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    kid. you have a pm
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Sadly DE promoted this cigar as a short filler very smart rather than factory floor tobacco. PF tobaccos are simply a by product of long fillers LPs. rather than selling them to a cigarette maker they came up with Papas Fritas...indeed very smart idea...sign
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    CCom says..New to market this year, this unique short-filler blend produces a fantastic flavor and burns like a premium. The idea for Papas Fritas revolves around the left over tobacco clippings from Drew Estate’s ever-popular Liga Privada line. Since these babies are made with short-filler from the super-premium Liga Privada, we consider these tasty treats “semi-premiums."
    How fair is that to ask $6 for a semi-premiums cigars when there are many premium cigars with long fillers in the market within the same price range? DE using the name Liga Privada left over tobacco very creatively. All I am trying to say is- it is good to see when a cigar maker can stick with the core line with quality and price. With $6 I will smoke a long filler Carlos Torano and others.
    Rain:
    CCom says..New to market this year, this unique short-filler blend produces a fantastic flavor and burns like a premium. The idea for Papas Fritas revolves around the left over tobacco clippings from Drew Estate’s ever-popular Liga Privada line. Since these babies are made with short-filler from the super-premium Liga Privada, we consider these tasty treats “semi-premiums."
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    No, no explosions ,not yet anyway,,but i still have a few,,lol,,
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/564752.aspx
  • OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    The Kid:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Well, with all due respect it sounds like you just aren't a huge fan of anything by Drew Estate. That's fine and everything, but LP are some of my favorite smokes. So as far as Liga products go, was it any better or worse than the others?
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    Had my first one a few nights ago, I say try some. If you are looking for complexity then maybe a longer smoke would be better but I would take it over a short story.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    The Kid:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Well, with all due respect it sounds like you just aren't a huge fan of anything by Drew Estate. That's fine and everything, but LP are some of my favorite smokes. So as far as Liga products go, was it any better or worse than the others?
    ita a construction versus price issue. I love the no 9 and FFP, but refuse to buy them anymore as they blow up, crack, and shouldn't for that price point. I still like undercrown, but had one with no draw the other day as well. To me the hype is unjustified and the price is ridiculous considering the QC trade off as of late. That was not the case a year ago, sadly it is now. For that kind of money, I can think of plenty of smokes that won't blow up. Look at the thread he posted, you'll see why. I agree 100% after going trough boxes of DE stuff.
    +1
    catfishbluezz:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    The Kid:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    ita a construction versus price issue. I love the no 9 and FFP, but refuse to buy them anymore as they blow up, crack, and shouldn't for that price point. I still like undercrown, but had one with no draw the other day as well. To me the hype is unjustified and the price is ridiculous considering the QC trade off as of late. That was not the case a year ago, sadly it is now. For that kind of money, I can think of plenty of smokes that won't blow up. Look at the thread he posted, you'll see why. I agree 100% after going trough boxes of DE stuff.
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    I initially said I would pass on these but I emailed The Beard inquiring about them and he endorsed them. I figured if they're good enough The Beard they're good enough for me. Smoked one the other night and I'm glad I didn't pass on them.
  • OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    rzaman:
    +1
    catfishbluezz:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    The Kid:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Well, I can see that. I haven't smoked enough DE products to have run into a bad one yet. Must be luck for now. But I suppose if I spent $14 on a stick that cracked apart, I'd be pretty pissed.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I was never a huge DE fan. Juts never got into them. Then I had a FFP and was surprised. Wasn't my favorite stick but but pretty good. However, to pay the price for the Papas Fritas when they are mixed filler is a little obsurd to me especially for the size. However that is just my opinion. They could be great and I wouldn't know what I am missing. I just find it to be a lot of money for a stick that is small and using left over clippings.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    rzaman:
    How fair is that to ask $6 for a semi-premiums cigars when there are many premium cigars with long fillers in the market within the same price range? DE using the name Liga Privada left over tobacco very creatively. All I am trying to say is- it is good to see when a cigar maker can stick with the core line with quality and price. With $6 I will smoke a long filler Carlos Torano and others.
    Rain:
    Well stated, Rip. I fully agree with your point about pricing.

It's hard for me to understand why a manufacturer would sell short-filler for such a pretty penny. I understand it's LP trimmings, but it's still short filler. Other manufacturers sell short filler cigars, but they do so at a much lower price point.

I don't know, I'm going to try them - since I like most other DE cigars, and I also like this size. But still, it was hard for me to justify the price for a short filler cigar.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    I had mixed emotions about this cigar when they were being introduced and in the same boat as most everyone here. I love the Liga Privada line and have smoked at least 2 boxes of the No9 Toro's, Dirty Rats, FFP, Flying Pigs, all of them and never had an issue.

I went ahead and got a box and smoked it last week and really enjoyed it. It had all the LP taste that I enjoy and if I didnt know it was a short filler, I would have never known.

Here is a post from Steve Saka about the Papas Fitas

I understand it... there is a huge justifiable bias against short filler - most are machine made, most are made with so-so tobacco and even those handmade are almost always sloppy construction wise and very inconsistent in flavor.

It is a huge hurdle for us to introduce a cigar like this into the marketplace and particularly under the LP moniker. Why would anyone in their right mind make a $6 version of a cigar brand that sells for $12 and are nearly impossible to keep in stock?

But we have a history of doing things the hard way...

Think about it...

DE is the company the created the entire infused premium genre while every "expert" predicted its utter failure.

DE is the company that then had to overcome it success in the infused segment to convince cigar consumers it was capable of making not only traditional cigars, but exceptional traditional cigars.

And here DE is trying to get consumers to enjoy a PREMIUM TRIPA CORTA - it is an oxymoron, but I believe that the Papas Fritas is demonstrating what is possible if someone is willing to make the effort.

If it turns out the Papas Fritas sells well, I bet you will set quite a few other companies releasing their own like product.

Just food for thought... think about it in the terms of perfectly cooked, sizzling aged bone-in ribeye... is the steak any less delicious when you cut off a bite with your knife and fork? Wouldn't that be short filler steak?

This is exactly what is happening when we chaveta cut the liga privada leaf...

Ultimately people will have to decide on their own whether Papas Fritas was a good idea, a good cigar and/or a reasonable value for themselves.

I suspect some people will agree with my viewpoint and I suspect some people will think I am an idiot, gouger, f'ckwad...

And I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Happy New Year mi Amigos!

BR,

Steve

OldBlueEyes2012:
    rzaman:
    +1
    catfishbluezz:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    The Kid:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The Kid:
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    whys that
    Well, I can see that. I haven't smoked enough DE products to have run into a bad one yet. Must be luck for now. But I suppose if I spent $14 on a stick that cracked apart, I'd be pretty pissed.
    Its not so much that I dont like their products, I have enjoyed my share of LP 9's. But stick after stick whether its a natural, ffp, t52, or a UF4, Ive ran into construction issues, I want to like their stuff especially when so many rave about it, and especially considering the coin one shells out for em, but I keep getting burned, this combined with a devil may care attitude from their customer service,,,,, fahgettaboudit,, I'll spend my $$ elsewhere,, it's not like I dont have a plethora of other cigars to choose from.
  • puffmasterpuffmaster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 252
    I smoked a papas fritas the other day compliments to trident for the smoke. Having smoked the #9 and t52 I thought the papas faired well to the #9 and loved the size. It was burning well ( a lot of smoke but hey it is a liga lol) so i started looking up some details at which I learned it was a short filler. That said I was about a 3rd through the stick and hadnt ashed yet. So sometimes the b ook is as good as the cover, just dont stop after reading the insert!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    +12341234123523513462345 about their service.... After 6 months and 4 broken promises from their "PR" guy.... one of their Regional's found out how I was treated, so I explained myself yet again, forwarded a ton of emails, and they took care of me promptly. I will buy that man a beer if I ever see him, Dave at DE. Their PR guy? I suggested they fire him...to him...and to his superiors. Broken promises, terrible QC, overpriced hype, and a DGAF attitude is no bueno here. You guys can have all the DE, I'm stocking up on the Castro in case the Embargo gets lifted.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Rain:
    I wonder if it produces as much smoke as a 9.
    Fire Dept. came last time I smoked a #9
    I guess with it being short filler there may be less of chance of it being full of stems,,hmmmmmm
  • DynaguyDynaguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I suppose I'm just lucky, but I have yet to have a construction issue in any of the several boxes of Undercrwon I have gone through in the last year. As to the Papas Fritas, I've enjoyed three so far and while the price stings some, they definitely have that Liba Privada No. 9 flavor. They also perform like long filler cigars. I'll buy more.
  • eric5312eric5312 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    They smoke nice but for 6 bucks I can get a Padron. No contest.
  • gio164gio164 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 180
    Dynaguy:
    I suppose I'm just lucky, but I have yet to have a construction issue in any of the several boxes of Undercrwon I have gone through in the last year. As to the Papas Fritas, I've enjoyed three so far and while the price stings some, they definitely have that Liba Privada No. 9 flavor. They also perform like long filler cigars. I'll buy more.
    I've smoked a countless number of DE cigars and never had a problem.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    zeebra:
    Here is a post from Steve Saka about the Papas Fitas

Steve Saka:
    ....Just food for thought... think about it in the terms of perfectly cooked, sizzling aged bone-in ribeye... is the steak any less delicious when you cut off a bite with your knife and fork? Wouldn't that be short filler steak?

This is exactly what is happening when we chaveta cut the liga privada leaf...

disagree 100% here.
    long filler is the "premium" not just because quality tobacco is used. long filler is considered premium because it adds a level of complexity over the course of the cigar that short filler cannot ever achieve (due to nutrient distribution in the leaf). when you cut off a bit of steak it is way more uniform than one part of tobacco leaf to the other. Steak is not by nature complex over an area the way tobacco is. short filler homogenizes the different parts and you get the overall flavor but none of the refinement and complexity.
    zeebra:
    Steve Saka:
    Ultimately people will have to decide on their own whether Papas Fritas was a good idea, a good cigar and/or a reasonable value for themselves.

i agree with that.

i feel that the stress of "being on the top" may be getting to LP and DE. a few years back when they were still growing and still trying to get to the top the quality was there. it had to be there because they had to build the reputation. they were building demand still. they couldnt keep up with the demand and part of this was because of the quality product they were producing. so they found ways to up production. then about 18 or so months back rumors of issues with cigars started to show up. a stick in the filler here, a hard draw there, an occasional cracking wrapper while being smoked. Hardly a forum exists where there arent pictures of LP problems. it may all be "growing pains" but it really does effect the view people have of the company considering the price ($10- $15) and availability of the cigars. I can get a cigar that will never let me down at that price or cheaper; plus i know that they will almost never be sold out (Dvidoff, Avo, Camacho, My Father Le Bijou, JdN Celebracion, etc...). People really do take all that into consideration.

so when DE, a company that has some cracks painfully showing, releases a sort filler cigar and then markets it as the same quality (and price) as a long filler...
    i can see why there is hesitation.

the real question is:
    will the hype keep the DE fans coming back or will surfacing issues, short filler, price point, and availability scare people off?

i hesitate.
    ...and i like DE.