Home General Discussion

oldest cigar you have ever smoked.

jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
just curious what is the oldest cigar you have ever smoked and how did it rank compared to some of your top newer sticks. the oldest stick i have ever smoked was a few year old opus x. most of mine never live long enough before i smoke them and i have never bought a older cigar for the sake of it being older.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Oldest tobacco would be a 59 preembargo puro rolled in the nineties. A friend got a box, triple verified and date stamped by US customs. Other then that a late 90's or early 2k LGC from Jiunn, 00 punch, 04 upmann, 02 siglo II, ryj 02. The PE was really good and I'd get more if I could. It was a very unique profile. The other habanos were all excellent as well, specifically the upmann no 2.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    cool. this is the info i am looking for. i am sure rip has smoked some oldies in his time.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Fyi...Cubans from 99-01 are notorious for construction issues and terrible draw.
    thanks for the heads up
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    probably about a year. I suck.
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    Because of the way I buy cigars most of the stuff in my collection is 5 to 7 years old. I do have some boxes of ISOM from 98' though. It's amazing what a few years will do for a cigar.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Avo Domaine from 2002. I smoked one a year ago ... bleh. Still have 2 left.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    i had a monte 1 that was 15 years old, RyJ exhibicion 4 that was 11 years old, LGC Medaille d'Or No.3 that is 10 years old (same one Dustin mentioned). overall, enjoyed all of them for varying reasons. Pretty neat to have such great complexities, smoothness, and flavor for such vintage cigars. reminded me of why I enjoy cigars. YOLOOOOOOOO (I actually hate that saying). yolo
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    1940s partagas.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    An 03 Hoyo des Dieux. It wasn't that good but I attribute that to the individual stick, not the line or the age. I have lots from 04 to present.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    the oldest stick ive smoked was only about 4 years old..
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I have smoked fair amount of vintage cigars. I smoked most of the vintage Cubans in Spain and Netherlands. Spain has many cigars collectors along with United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Hong Kong and India. These five countries have many vintage cigar collectors and still some of their cigar stores offer vintage cigars. I believe the oldest Cuban cigars I smoked are:

Cuban Davidoff Chateau Margaux from 1969

Cuban Davidoff 5000 Grand Corona from 1970

H. Upman Mirables from 1970

Hoyo de Monterrey Coronations from 1980

Cuban extremely rare State gift Cohiba Lancero from 1980’s. I still have half of a box

No-Cuban vintage cigar

Padron Millennium from 1999. By the time I smoked them they were 16 and 18 years aged

Opus X original release from 1995

Forbidden X Lancero Phantom from 2002

I cannot remember the rest at this moment. About vintage cigar, all I can say is, they are taste from heaven. You cannot replace a vintage cigar with anything, specially the Cuban one.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I manage to keep some cigars for 10 or 11 years before smoking them. I have a couple San Cristobal from 2001 (smoked 1 last week and it was crazy smooth and wonderful), Cohibas from 02, 04, 08; a few Hoyos from 07 and probably some that I'm forgetting about. I smoke a few "new" cigars, and tend to let the new stuff rest for a while. I'd say my average smoke is about 1 to 3 years old, except for the cheap stuff. Cigars like Rosa Cuba or Trinidad Y Cia I never worry about aging, but some still kick around for a couple years.

The ISOM sticks need some age on them. Some are ok right away, but almost all of them are much better after 5 years and fanfreikentastic after 10.

Agree...my regular Cuban smokes are mostly from 2000-2005. It adds a lot fun smoking a Cuban. Maybe this is how my non-Cuban smoking became limited.
    camgfs:
    I manage to keep some cigars for 10 or 11 years before smoking them. I have a couple San Cristobal from 2001 (smoked 1 last week and it was crazy smooth and wonderful), Cohibas from 02, 04, 08; a few Hoyos from 07 and probably some that I'm forgetting about. I smoke a few "new" cigars, and tend to let the new stuff rest for a while. I'd say my average smoke is about 1 to 3 years old, except for the cheap stuff. Cigars like Rosa Cuba or Trinidad Y Cia I never worry about aging, but some still kick around for a couple years.

The ISOM sticks need some age on them. Some are ok right away, but almost all of them are much better after 5 years and fanfreikentastic after 10.

thanks for the info guys. i have smoked for a long time but am new to the collecting and terms etc. i know this is a stupid question define isom for me
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    jeep edson:
    thanks for the info guys. i have smoked for a long time but am new to the collecting and terms etc. i know this is a stupid question define isom for me
    pm to you:-)
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    rzaman:
    I have smoked fair amount of vintage cigars. I smoked most of the vintage Cubans in Spain and Netherlands. Spain has many cigars collectors along with United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Hong Kong and India. These five countries have many vintage cigar collectors and still some of their cigar stores offer vintage cigars. I believe the oldest Cuban cigars I smoked are:
    I am heading to India (will be staying just outside of Delhi) very soon for a few weeks. This is my first trip to India. Do you have any advice on the norms of buying cigars there? I looked and couldn't find any LCDH shops in the country.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Oldest was probably 3 years that I found in the bottom of my humi, maybe a GOF, easily much better than its younger relatives. More mellow, smooth and overall just more enjoyable. Though I've found some 2 year old Diesels as well, and they're much better than their younger siblings; every cigar improves with age. Wish I had the will power to age some more
    Cingari cigar lounge in Hotel Oberoi in Delhi is a good place. I am talking about few years back so they must have some new shops now. India has a booming economy and a fast growing luxury goods market. Cingari is an official Casa del Habano's distributor in India. They have cigar shops in all the major cities in India. have fun...India has a fascinating culture. If it is a business trip then try to learn a little about the culture. Here is a great link:

http://globaledge.msu.edu/countries/india/culture
    kevin1323:
    rzaman:
    I am heading to India (will be staying just outside of Delhi) very soon for a few weeks. This is my first trip to India. Do you have any advice on the norms of buying cigars there? I looked and couldn't find any LCDH shops in the country.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    You guys have way more self control than I do. I was gifted a fresh box of Flor de Antilles that I was told not to touch for at least a year.....that will be tough to do.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    I aged 3 Gurkha Spec Ops for +2 years. Quite good. Aged a La Flor Dominicana Air Bender for +2 years as well.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I have several ISOMs from Late 90's to very early 2000's. Have yet to smoke one. Not sure what I am waiting for. I aquired them in a round about way. Been authenticated. I neeed to check 'em out!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I smoked a Partagas 150 from 1995 that lcpleel gifted to me. The wrapper was already 18 years old at that point. the wrapper had lost quite a bit of that cameroon twang but overall it was a nice stick