9 - Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Sumatra
8 - RP 50 Robusto
7 - Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso No. 2
6 - H. Upmann Royal Robusto (Cuban)

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/top25/show

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    eh... whatever. so far im not impressed.

on the other hand, i have noticed that my tastes in cigars is very different than most, especially from the reviewers at CA.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Interesting, I just reviewed the Timeless, thought it was pretty good. The Royal Robusto is an excellent smoke as well.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Curious to see the rest of the list when it's released....
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    I find these to be more inline with forum favorites, IMO.

Cigar Journal Top 25 of 2012:
    1-5
    6-10
    11-15
    16-20
    21-25
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    So the Oliva V double toro/gordo/humongo wins? A 6x60 version of the V is their best cigar of the year? Boy, those guys need to get out more.

Not to mention you have to go all the way to slot 15 to get a rg smaller than 50. I'd rather read a review by someone here by a country mile.
  • mr.wendell1979mr.wendell1979 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    bigharpoon:
    So the Oliva V double toro/gordo/humongo wins? A 6x60 version of the V is their best cigar of the year? Boy, those guys need to get out more.

Not to mention you have to go all the way to slot 15 to get a rg smaller than 50. I'd rather read a review by someone here by a country mile.

Agreed... I haven't been smoking very long but I do feel the Padron 1964 Anniversary is better in my opinion.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    What a joke. Their (Cigar Afiocinado and Cigar Journal) cigar ratings fails to influence me to try a new cigars. I bought and smoked enough junks based on their reviews.
    rzaman:
    What a joke. Their (Cigar Afiocinado and Cigar Journal) cigar ratings fails to influence me to try a new cigars. I bought and smoked enough junks based on their reviews.
    its always a joke... It's based on advertising dollars if you ask me. I'm amazed at times what does not make the cut in comparison. An Oliva V is good, but my lord...compared to that barrel you sent me try aren't in the same universe.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    So far I'm disappointed...
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    bigharpoon:

it seems that many of the cigar vets want a smaller RG......is there a reason behind this that i am not seeing being such a Noob?

Personally i like the bigger RG over the smaller coronas.
    I started the same way. Sliming down as I went. Still enjoy a bigger RG at times. As far as the reason, I think its a ratio thing wrapper/filler.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Zino Davidoff Crown Series Barrel and Chubby are at least in my top three non- Cuban in the market. If you smoke Crown Series then you will think twice to buy a Oliva V cigar. There are also Zino Emperor Edition as well as Zino Class Z NY collection series.

Cohiba 1966 is 8th cigar even after Rocky Patel. I don't know what to say. Anyway they do their job and I smoke my cigars. I do not see Partagas Series E no. 2 so far which is even better than PSD no. 4.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    brianetz1:
    bigharpoon:

it seems that many of the cigar vets want a smaller RG......is there a reason behind this that i am not seeing being such a Noob?

Personally i like the bigger RG over the smaller coronas.
    To me, personally, the smaller RG allows for a fuller taste experience. The larger RG's appear to be loaded and more unbalanced. I enjoy the time with the Corona's because the time feels like it is better well spent. Maybe Rip can confirm the majority of CC's are smaller RG. Did the Cuban culture ever go through a 60RG renaissance?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Bigshizza:
    To me, personally, the smaller RG allows for a fuller taste experience. The larger RG's appear to be loaded and more unbalanced. I enjoy the time with the Corona's because the time feels like it is better well spent. Maybe Rip can confirm the majority of CC's are smaller RG. Did the Cuban culture ever go through a 60RG renaissance?
    smaller ring gauge provides for a better wrapper to filler ratio. i mean this is basic math (and can be found at the top of the second page of my blending 101 thread).

classic cuban cigars have almost never been above 50 in ring. the typical robusto in the cuban tradition is 4.9 - 5.0 x 48. churchills also have a ring of 48.
    larger rings are creeping into the cuban cigars as well since 2002 Cohiba has released 6 or 7 (i cant remember exactly) cigars over 50. before that, they had only a very small hand full (maybe 3?) that were over 50 and those were all one time releases. even then, all of those were after 1999 if i am not mistaken.

if you look at the older discontinued brands (Davidoff iscontinued in 91, Dunhill discontinued in 91, Gispert discontinued in 2005, and San Luis Ray discontinued in 2000) there are none that i can think of that have a single cigar over 50. heck, 49 seems to be the top.

a few brands have a Diademas vitola that has a 55 ring on the fat end at some point in their past, HdM for example, but are not in production currently. HdM has no regular production cigars over 50 at this time.

it is absolutely in the Cuban tradition to have a smaller ring.

... and they seem to be slowly moving away from that tradition.
    66-Romeo-Padron 85th Nat-mag44

Another interesting list. The mag44 is a good smoke once you age it a bit. The Romeo? That's advertising $$$ IMO....
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    All I can say is if you ever thought the AB prensado should've been rated a 96 then these "ratings" are for you! But those who truly don't care about ratings...well I'm sure we are smoking better then the rest
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    I dont care for any of CA's or CI's or any other ratings. I'd rather read the ratings from guys like Kuzi, Razman, half wheel and many others before I even consider these BS ratings. This is similar to the Maxim 100 hottest girls list they do every year. Just depends on how much they were in the media that year, and there are plenty of chicks that deserve to be higher in the rankings that what Maxim has put out. But thats me!
    Lol at Swag's 90+ ratings Lololololol..... Actually the only ratings I appreciate are the vintage ones
    ddubridge:
    I find these to be more inline with forum favorites, IMO.

Cigar Journal Top 25 of 2012:
    1-5
    6-10
    11-15
    16-20
    21-25
    ...or not