Home General Discussion

Just not my day

bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
For the first weekend in quite some time with no plans, I got the kids down for a nap and went out with a La Traviata. The first couple of draws had really good flavor but after that it got weird on me. There was a decent amount of smoke coming from the end, but when I would take a draw I never got any smoke.

Being an ex cigarette smoker the first thing I looked for was a break in the wrapper, but I saw none. I stuck with it longer than I would normally because I was looking forward to trying this stick and the flavor at first was pretty tasty. I purged a few times, went over the end with a lighter to make sure the burn was good, but nothing helped. I could never get smoke on the draw, so I just tossed it nearing the 1/3 mark.

Hating to waste the time and good weather I grabbed an Oliva V and fired it up. Woah, I'm not sure what this is, but it don't taste like a V! It was FOUL. I really can't explain the flavor as it's something I've never tasted before from a cigar, but it was bad enough to cringe. I purged a few times, tried coke and coffee (not mixed) to clean palate, even went inside and tried to get any funk off my tongue with a toothbrush, but the taste stayed the same.

Even though the smoke output and burn was perfect, the V was laid to rest at the 1/3 mark just as the La Triviata. The only thing I can things is there was some funky taste left over from the CAO which fouled the V, but it sucked having to waste two smokes.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Had that happen once.... A little trick I learned from Kuzi, to grab a soda or coffee. The acidity will change the ph in your mouth and may improve the cigar. Sometimes the right liquor will also do this. I've had a scotch turn a cigar around quick. I always stock coke or dr pepper at the B&M for this reason.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Awwww...that's a drag! I hate when I'm all geared up for a nice cigar smoking occasion and it doesn't seem to taste good at all. I feel your pain, better luck next time.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    This has happened to me as well and it sucks!!!!! But mine was due to the "sick" period and well I learned fast after that to always take a few good whiffs of the foot before I decide to light up. But recently I did have a oliva v that was off. It didn't taste like any other v I have had and yeah I chucked it pretty quick!! But your not alone and it happens from time to time...better luck next time