Home General Discussion

Pepper

ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
Hey all. Recently I have gone through my cigar notes and I noticed something. A taste or sensation I describe in all of them is pepper. Sometimes it's constant, sometimes it is intermittent, sometimes it is at a particular spot in the cigar. My question is why is this so prominent? I know it is more common in certain tobacco leaves and regions. Is there a blend that any of you know of that lacks this quality but still retains great flavor?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Plenty of them don't have it, might just be what you are smoking or you are associated the burn on the retrohale with it. As your palette develops, you should be able to distinguish it. There are subtle differences for pepper, wood, spice, etc....
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    This is a good point and most of my journal was written the first time i smoked that particular stick. I may need to go back and retry some of these and see if i can tell a difference and pick out the particular sensation i am picking up on now that i have been smoking a bit longer.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Lots and lots of cigars have that pepper flavor, it is very prominent in many different lines. If you are looking for cigars that are very flavorful without the pepper flavor try La Aurora, AVO and Fuente for starters. Most of the cigars in most of their lines don't have a prominent pepper flavor.
    I found i would note vanilla a ton at first, and I had to force myself to think about the flavor every time I experienced it. That led me to diagnose new notes depending on their variance. Personally, i would say cedar is the most common note for obvious reasons.
    bigharpoon:
    Lots and lots of cigars have that pepper flavor, it is very prominent in many different lines. If you are looking for cigars that are very flavorful without the pepper flavor try La Aurora, AVO and Fuente for starters. Most of the cigars in most of their lines don't have a prominent pepper flavor.
    Dominican cigars you mentioned... NC's always tend to have it IMO.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    catfishbluezz:
    bigharpoon:
    Exactly.
    bigharpoon:
    catfishbluezz:
    bigharpoon:
    Exactly.
    funny, I'm smoking the 5V relic DC puro from quesada I believe. I'd definately recommend it for lack of pepper profile to OP.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    catfishbluezz:
    bigharpoon:
    This may be another reason why i encounter it alot most of the blend i have had and have resting have a good deal of Nicaragua tobacco in them. Its not that i do not enjoy it but im looking to experience something different. I wonder if picking up some puros of the various region may help me in developing my palate to start distinguishing the flavors and different kinds of spice. I have been trying to taste or eat something similar to what i tasted in the cigars i smoke either during or right after smoking them.
    Imgembo:
    catfishbluezz:
    bigharpoon:
    This may be another reason why i encounter it alot most of the blend i have had and have resting have a good deal of Nicaragua tobacco in them. Its not that i do not enjoy it but im looking to experience something different. I wonder if picking up some puros of the various region may help me in developing my palate to start distinguishing the flavors and different kinds of spice. I have been trying to taste or eat something similar to what i tasted in the cigars i smoke either during or right after smoking them.
    it will... The Avo take 5 sampler is awesome for palette building. Each wrapper is showcased and all DC cigars. La Aurora preferidos are excellent, quesada, davidoff, etc...
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I asked the same type of question a while back that may give you a good idea of what brands/blends to look for. Some seem to be on the more expensive side, but if you're looking for something a little cheaper I would imagine you can explore some of the different lines made by a particular brand listed.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/564674.aspx
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Try the Alec Bradley Black Market... tons of coffee, chocolate and a little earthiness... ZERO spice
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    catfishbluezz:
    Plenty of them don't have it, might just be what you are smoking or you are associated the burn on the retrohale with it. As your palette develops, you should be able to distinguish it. There are subtle differences for pepper, wood, spice, etc....
    Reading this I def do this all the time. I love the burn on a retrohale and have always associated the two but I am finding a big difference between a sharp retro and pepper I'm working on separating the two.
    Gaetano7890:
    catfishbluezz:
    Reading this I def do this all the time. I love the burn on a retrohale and have always associated the two but I am finding a big difference between a sharp retro and pepper I'm working on separating the two.
    its typically cedar or pepper on the retro. On the good smokes, more of a bean, nut, and a sugar related substance at times. I've had the pleasure of enjoying some great smokes that change up the retro.
    robbyras:
    Try the Alec Bradley Black Market... tons of coffee, chocolate and a little earthiness... ZERO spice
    personal favorite... Been through two boxes
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I don't think you can find any cigar with 0% spice. You may find super mild spicy cigar because of domination by other flavors and aroma or with loooong time age. Sometime this mild spice can be missed by some smokers under nutmeg, cloves or cardamom flavors and aroma. The spice is part of the tobacco leaves.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rzaman:
    I don't think you can find any cigar with 0% spice. You may find super mild spicy cigar because of domination by other flavors and aroma or with loooong time age. Sometime this mild spice can be missed by some smokers under nutmeg, cloves or cardamom flavors and aroma. The spice is part of the tobacco leaves.
    I agree with this.

on a related note...
    if you smoke slower, you will have less spice.
    if you age cigars longer you will have less spice.
    if you aim for milder cigars you will generally have less spice.