Home General Discussion

Wineador Project

2»

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    blackwell921@gmail.com:
    What about propping the boxes open with a matchstick? Wouldn't think it would take much to get humidity in.
    they need seasoning just like a humi. I used to do this in my coolers as well before I got rid of them. It's better to let the entire box slowly season to proper rh. It gives each box a sort of mini humi effect, and you can even control inner rh with Boveda packs if you want say higher rh on conny's
    Boxes up to 59-63, probably start putting cigars in tomorrow =] image
    Serious...kitty litter rocks!!!! ;)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Lookin good D. Curly heads Yummmm
    danielzreyes:
    Lookin good D. Curly heads Yummmm
    lol...boxes from B&M rule. Love me some curly heads
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    great looking project. can't wait to see it all finished. got a guess as to how many cigars it will hold
    jeep edson:
    great looking project. can't wait to see it all finished. got a guess as to how many cigars it will hold
    no guess really, I need to maximize space first, and boxes for specific sizes. I have to go grab some nylons to minimize bead space, or containers really but I have not hunted yet. The nice thing about kitty litter is the beads are big so you can use drills to make holes. It definately holds less then I thought, due to the depth. However, I bought it from Costco so when it gets full, already is, but too full I can trade in and trade up to a 50 bottle
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 256
    I know I don't need a wineador, but now I want one... Nice and inspiring project Dustin. Stupid Costco and their reasonable prices!
    T.J. Armstrong:
    I know I don't need a wineador, but now I want one... Nice and inspiring project Dustin. Stupid Costco and their reasonable prices!
    fyi...do not buy the $200 vinotemp there, it's compressor cooled which requires alot more humidification
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    I'm gonna give you two months before you go buy either another 28 bottle one, or you go twice as big. two months
    jliu:
    I'm gonna give you two months before you go buy either another 28 bottle one, or you go twice as big. two months
    nah...I've got empty humi's lol! But yeah, the 50 will go down. I'm going to run out of room after this weeks order lol...then jan...damnit!!!
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    nah...I've got empty humi's lol! But yeah, the 50 will go down. I'm going to run out of room after this weeks order lol...then jan...damnit!!!
    i would say im sorry to hear that but im not. come into my boat haha
    Haven't even got my smokes from Jason yet....near capacity image
    lookin good! some tasty ones in there!
    jliu:
    the curly heads are just for you lol. Probably gonna have a fire sale soon. Need to get stockings as well to maximize space from beads. As of now, top shelf is holding 60, mid 65, bottom 68. I just put all the smokes and a few extra boxes in this afternoon though, so it may take a day or two to settle, and I need to get beads at the top
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    the curly heads are just for you lol. Probably gonna have a fire sale soon. Need to get stockings as well to maximize space from beads. As of now, top shelf is holding 60, mid 65, bottom 68. I just put all the smokes and a few extra boxes in this afternoon though, so it may take a day or two to settle, and I need to get beads at the top
    yes!! curly heads like woooot! actually, curly head was my very first short filler that i've ever had. Boyd gave me a very cool educational experience w/ those things. yea, it'll take a few days for the humidity to kinda "harmonize." I actually unplugged my wineador. No need to have it plugged during the winter months in my opinion.
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    yes!! curly heads like woooot! actually, curly head was my very first short filler that i've ever had. Boyd gave me a very cool educational experience w/ those things. yea, it'll take a few days for the humidity to kinda "harmonize." I actually unplugged my wineador. No need to have it plugged during the winter months in my opinion.
    i want the cool burn lol...why I got it ;) really, if I can make room for 8 corona boxes and 8 pryamide boxes I'll be happy. That's the plan at least...
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    i want the cool burn lol...why I got it ;) really, if I can make room for 8 corona boxes and 8 pryamide boxes I'll be happy. That's the plan at least...
    hahah. 16 boxes of equal split coronas and pyramides. that should be good. will be a fairly tight fit but as long as you're good at tetris, you'll be good to go man.
  • dsaylesdsayles Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    catfishbluezz:
    WOOHOO! Ordered my first wineador tonight. I'll post pics and experience here as I go through the process of getting it ready. I chose to go through Costco as I can always return it if it breaks, they have the best warranty in the biz. I went with a cheaper 24 bottle thermoelectric unit since the warranty negates spending too much, and it will keep me from going overboard with enough room for aging boxes of ISOM and room for everyday smokes and fivers. Also grabbed 8lbs of Exquisicat specifically for this project as well, that I will train at 60-63 in a spare humi that has been sitting there for a week now. Here is the model:
    http://www.costco.com/.product.659521.html

So far, I have $246 spent. I already have multiple hygro's and boxes for storage. i may look into some containers for beads as well.
    Why a wineador versus a cooledor? Just curious is one better than the other? Or is it just a personal preferance? I need a new project.
    Temperature control my friend. Most owners of them attest to improved combustion of a cigar stored at 65 degrees, along with the lack of worry about beetles. No need to freeze if you keep them at 65 degrees.
  • dsaylesdsayles Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    Ok....that makes sense. I will continue to follow this thread and may eventually do the same thing.
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Looks good, Dustin!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    catfishbluezz:
    Temperature control my friend. Most owners of them attest to improved combustion of a cigar stored at 65 degrees, along with the lack of worry about beetles. No need to freeze if you keep them at 65 degrees.
    I've never heard about Curly Heads having beetle issues.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Nice Dustin, now come get your sticks, wait about two weeks though, I have to replace the one's I smoked. J/K, seriously come get your sticks and hang out and herf for awhile.
  • DLPerez777DLPerez777 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hey Catfishbluez, was reading over your wineador project and was curious how it came out?  I'm in the process of converting an old wine cooler that stopped working into a humidor and was looking as to ideas of the construction and what is really needed to keep the hum at 60-70 percent and was it hard?  Thanks.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    DLPerez777:
    Hey Catfishbluez, was reading over your wineador project and was curious how it came out?  I'm in the process of converting an old wine cooler that stopped working into a humidor and was looking as to ideas of the construction and what is really needed to keep the hum at 60-70 percent and was it hard?  Thanks.
    I am pretty sure that Cat used the method described in "How to Season a Humidor with Kitty Litter" thread. It's near the top of the Cigar 101 page.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Hope your project goes well!