Home General Discussion

Can I save them? W/ update!!!

ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949

I was gifted these by one of my drivers today. He also drives part time for a party bus business and it seems a wedding party had left these on the bus with only one gone(poor schlubs). That was about two months ago.

Since that time they have been hanging out in the dudes fridge. He's been able to get rid of about half of them, and decided to give them to me today as a gift(score!!!).

The question is can I save them and if I can, do I bring them back to life any way other then just tossing them in the ol humi. I will probably have to store them seperatly because I dont currently have any room so it wont be a big deal if I need to bring them back at a higher or lower humidity

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Don't think it would hurt to try, toss them in a big with a boveda pack.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Certainly no harm in trying. Try to bring them back to normal rh slowly, as slowly as you can. If they haven't lost too much oil they should be able to come back and be okay.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    My advice and this worked with me before but not that extreme like your having. What I had was a 5 pack of cigars in a wooden box, wrapped in plastic. Parents gave them to me for xmas, but they were sitting in my stocking in their home in florida for like a month. I took them home when I came back and got one of my old humidors I don't use much (It can only hold like 10 cigars, great for overflow) and I placed the sticks inside it. I left them in the wrapped box and put a boveda pack(the lowest I could find, 60 I think?) and let them sit for a month or so. When the humidity was a steady 60-62 for a month, I opened up the plastic wrap and added a higher RH boveda pack inside to bump up the humidity. I rocked a solid 66-68 for 2 more months. Finally, after those 2 months I put the sticks with the general population, dug deep in the middle of them all and let them sit for about 6-8 months in my big humidor that was set at 70degrees/70RH. I had no burn issues, no wrapper cracking, the cigars lit and tasted great. I'm not sure if this is really what you should do, but I tried it and it seemed to work...just had to be patient. Hopefully someone has a better way.
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    For sure you can! Put them in a humi and wait. Wait at least a month then feel one. If it feels OK smoke it. If not wait a few more weeks. I've done this several times with gifted cigars from nonsmokers. A little patience will go a long way. Good luck!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    thanks for all the great advise, i'll let em hang for a while. it's cold enought that it wont hurt to let them sit for a while.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i once had a CAO gold that spend 6 months in a car's glove compartment. August to February. it spent two years in my humidor before i sparked it and it didnt taste like it "should" but i was amazed at how good it was.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    I'm thinking they will come back nicely for you if you follow the advice already given.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    First I would put them in a box with a humipak and hygrometer. See what the hygrometer says.
    If they've been sitting in a fridge, you may be surprised.
    It may be better than you think.
    0patience:
    First I would put them in a box with a humipak and hygrometer. See what the hygrometer says.
    If they've been sitting in a fridge, you may be surprised.
    It may be better than you think.
    see i was thinking the fridge would have an adverse affect on them.
    Update:

Smoking one of these right now. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    ddubridge:
    Update:

That's a good smoke!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Bigshizza:
    ddubridge:
    Update:

That's a good smoke!!
    Looks like it must still be a solid smoke, judging by how much of it is smoked away. Excellent score.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    How drunk does a person got to be to forget a whole box of cigars ? But then again I'd guess they weren't cigar people since only one was gone. Dweebs!
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    I'm glad it worked out for you, I am a fan of the "G"
    Jim: noted...enjoy the couple I send you. Let me know if they truly are up to par. This is my first.

Ricky: It is amazing to me that someone could pay retail for a box of cigars and leave them behind. That guy has more money then I'll ever have. In the end I scored.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Here's the good news! If they have been in the fridge for that long they are probably going to be fine if you bring them back slowly...start at 62% for a couple of weeks...then 64 for another 2 weeks and finally let them sit for another 2 weeks at as close to 68% as you can. Because they were wrapped in cello helps you because the usual dry frigid air that is in a fridge can do harm to naked cigars...the cello insulated the process whereby they dry out completely and a month is really not that long to destroy any of the natural oils found in those cigars. Here's the bad news...having to wait the month or two but in the mean time...smoke one at the 4th week to get a good baseline and then smoke again after 2 months and you'll get your true taste.
    Cigary:
    Here's the good news! If they have been in the fridge for that long they are probably going to be fine if you bring them back slowly...start at 62% for a couple of weeks...then 64 for another 2 weeks and finally let them sit for another 2 weeks at as close to 68% as you can. Because they were wrapped in cello helps you because the usual dry frigid air that is in a fridge can do harm to naked cigars...the cello insulated the process whereby they dry out completely and a month is really not that long to destroy any of the natural oils found in those cigars. Here's the bad news...having to wait the month or two but in the mean time...smoke one at the 4th week to get a good baseline and then smoke again after 2 months and you'll get your true taste.
    I was think I'd smoke one about 6 months later and repost it here with update in the subject line.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I'm being selfish here....smoke one at about the 2 month range so we can follow the progress of how the cigars taste...6 months might make some of us go over the edge. Plus, experiments like yours are beneficial to everyone so we can see what you experienced. Thx for doing this for the Team.