Home Non Cigar Related

Need some BBQ input

HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
Alright fellas, I know this is a topic near and dear to many of your stomachs, so I'm hoping to get some help here. The situation is basically this: I'm traveling Europe (currently in Tarano, Italy), and staying quite a length of time in each place with families. Now, naturally nobody over here knows how to do proper BBQ, and I'm thinking I'd like to start introducing it to my hosts as I go along. At home, I'm no good at doing BBQ but I sure do love eating it - at the least, I've made some decent stuff with packaged spices and BBQ sauces on the stove or in the oven. Can't find good sauce over here though, and I don't know what kind of spices go into a good mix, so that's what I'm looking for input on. There's a couple caveats, though:

1) I don't have a BBQ or smoker. Yes I know this is kind of a retarded problem, but like I said I've done some decent stuff on the stove or in an oven, so that's what I'll be working with.
2) I can't get super complicated with spice mixes and/or sauces - buying 60 different ingredients is just not practical for me, so the simpler the better.

Any help folks?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Hello, David. Spend some time wandering around the Meathead's site and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about BBQ. Go to Amazingribs.com.....

Hope you're enjoying your trip. Wish I was with you. I have family living in No. Italy....

• jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    As long as you keep the low and slow mantra in mind, you can make good bbq with any heat source. When I make sauce, I start with a base of ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and some mustard. Garlic and some sort of chile spice is a must for me too. Other than that, add and simmer and taste until it is perfect.

Also, glad to hear your trip is going well, despite the lack of BBQ.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    jthanatos:
    As long as you keep the low and slow mantra in mind, you can make good bbq with any heat source. When I make sauce, I start with a base of ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and some mustard. Garlic and some sort of chile spice is a must for me too. Other than that, add and simmer and taste until it is perfect.

Excellent suggestion. For spice, Lawry's and pepper...done. You'd be amazed how many famous chefs use nothing more then salt, pepper, or Lawry's. Lawry's is like corn starch in the culinary world...no one wants to admit they use it, everyone has it.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    catfishbluezz:
    jthanatos:

Excellent suggestion. For spice, Lawry's and pepper...done. You'd be amazed how many famous chefs use nothing more then salt, pepper, or Lawry's. Lawry's is like corn starch in the culinary world...no one wants to admit they use it, everyone has it.
    The problem with that is that I'm in Italy... haven't seen Lawry's anywhere. Thanks for all the help though guys! Also, if there's any killer spice mixes anybody knows, I was thinking I might be open to doing something in bulk and carrying the remainder with me. Appreciate the info so far :-)
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Here are pretty much the basics of most BBQ sauces that I know of.
    The amounts vary so greatly in every recipe, that it is a trial and error deal. LOL!

cider vinegar (Regular vinegar works)
    ketchup/catsup (depending on east or west coast)
    water
    finely chopped onion (we use onion powder)
    minced garlic (we use garlic powder)
    butter
    molasses
    mustard
    brown sugar
    lemon juice
    Worcestershire sauce or equivalent
    paprika
    chili powder
    oregano
    thyme
    salt

Most southern BBQ or Texas BBQ recipes should give you a pretty good direction.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    The recipe above looks solid. If you can find liquid smoke, that will go a long way. Otherwise, look for smoked sea salt and sub that in. I also love to add coca cola (they should have that over there) and bourbon or any American Whiskey (Sour mash - Jack - works well too). The whiskey may be tougher to find over there and may be considerably more expensive.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    ^^^ +1, 0patience's recipe looks good, pretty standard.

Also, if you only have certain ingredients to work with....or are having trouble finding other ingredients, check out All Recipes.com Advanced Search, pretty customizable and there's also lots of reviews on here. Hope that helps.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    My speciality is to put a pork roast about the size of a slow cooker put it in the slow cooker, add enough water to come up about an inch on the meat and a Bottle of any type of BBQ sauce u like add some salt and pepper cook on high for approx 6-8 hours! Presto take 2 forks rip apart it'll be tender as crap mix it up in juices an slap on a bun!! Simple and easy!!!