Home General Discussion

New Man Cave-Complete with 2 days to spare.

Comments

• prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    I have been debating that. Possibly laminate or vinyl plank to resist moisture. Any suggestions?

• kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    They have Cork laminate flooring and the material is below grade recommended for like basements and what not were water or dampness could be an issue. Lumber Liquidators sells it not super cheap but not super pricey ..... I'd call to see if they have anything discontinued as you wont really need a ton of it . probably no more than 250 square. Also just check Home Depot and Lowes as they always get special order returns and if you can pick 200 square on a great deal who cares if you pay regular price for a few extra boxes.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    X2 on looking for returns; We got some laminate from lowes for cheap! But the color on it was very red, not compalining though, it was easy to install and looks good.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    pross:
    And I finally found nice propane stove for heat!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

beautiful condition off Craigslist. Just had to reseat thermocouple to get it working. Seller didn't think it worked. Took me 5 minutes to get working.

Ooooohh!! And titty-pink, too. My kinda guy.....

Looking good, Pross...

• Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Yeah I agree with king, u can find some really good deals at lumber liquidators, I'm sure whatever u pick out will b awesome, u look like u know what u r doing.
    jlmarta:
    pross:
    And I finally found nice propane stove for heat!

beautiful condition off Craigslist. Just had to reseat thermocouple to get it working. Seller didn't think it worked. Took me 5 minutes to get working.

Ooooohh!! And titty-pink, too. My kinda guy.....

Looking good, Pross...

Lol. It's actually a much deeper red than it looks, but form now on, "titty pink" it is.

Glock1975:
    Yeah I agree with king, u can find some really good deals at lumber liquidators, I'm sure whatever u pick out will b awesome, u look like u know what u r doing.

I know just enough to be dangerous.

• Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    pross:
    Glock1975:

I know just enough to be dangerous.

That's more than I know buddy. Looks great.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    pross:
    I have been debating that. Possibly laminate or vinyl plank to resist moisture. Any suggestions?

Hey, you've been busy, and it's looking good, too. Nice job. You might want to consider putting tile under and behind the stove (fire resistance). Actually, tile might not be a bad choice for flooring. It's a small space, so it shouldn't be too expensive, and tile is very forgiving when it comes to installation.

Good choice for a heat source, too, but do yourself a favor and put a co2 detector in there, and install it about 2' off the ground within 4 or 5 feet of the stove if you can.

Been very busy. Trying to get it to the point where I can enjoy it.

The stove has zero clearance specs for the floor, so no tile needed unless on carpet. Vent free heat can be dicey, if not maintained and monitored for fresh air intake, but I figured with a 12 x per hour air exchange, I should be ok. CO2 detector is in plans though..

I had considered tile, but thought it may be cold.
    pross:
    Been very busy. Trying to get it to the point where I can enjoy it.

The stove has zero clearance specs for the floor, so no tile needed unless on carpet. Vent free heat can be dicey, if not maintained and monitored for fresh air intake, but I figured with a 12 x per hour air exchange, I should be ok. CO2 detector is in plans though..

I had considered tile, but thought it may be cold.
    I agree about the unvented heater (I really like the vented models that pull combustion air from the outside), but you're right about your air exchange. I know it sounds crazy, but you can always crack a window about an inch while you're in there once it heats up for fresh air. Home Depot has some pretty inexpensive wool area rugs that can be put down on a tile floor, and that can be a reallly nice look - but good ole carpet works pretty welll too.
    Ceiling and walls done in tongue and groove pine. Long day for sure.

Smoking an Upper Cut to end the day.

• jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    lookin good. building a housed right now and seeing your pics get me excited for my new trophy room.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Man, that's a bunker! Drywall and TIG?
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    Coming together very nicely, when is the first herf gonna be? lol
    Herfin soon, I hope. Need furniture and tv now.....
    Nice look for the walls & ceiling. I'll bet that was a long day putting the T&G on that ceiling, but it looks super, and will age even better. Are you going to leave it natural, or put a couple coats of polly on it?
    I will use 3 -4 coats of water based poly. It is not quite as durable, but doesn't darken and turn orange with age.

The ceiling was a challenge, as the roof was trussed, and the collar ties weren't level or flat. Lots of shimming and some sleepers to get everything to line up.

I had 5 of us in there last night, and the ventilation worked ok, but I had to crack a window to supply the make up air. With the window closed, the smoke hung at about 5 feet, not rising to the intakes.

Hopefully, when I get the ceiling fan in, I can set it on reverse to help pull the smoke up.

pross:
    I will use 3 -4 coats of water based poly. It is not quite as durable, but doesn't darken and turn orange with age.

The ceiling was a challenge, as the roof was trussed, and the collar ties weren't level or flat. Lots of shimming and some sleepers to get everything to line up.

I had 5 of us in there last night, and the ventilation worked ok, but I had to crack a window to supply the make up air. With the window closed, the smoke hung at about 5 feet, not rising to the intakes.

Hopefully, when I get the ceiling fan in, I can set it on reverse to help pull the smoke up.

Lots of shimming....been there, done that, but the trick is to end up straight and plumb and it looks like you got there. You might find that cracking a window an inch or so is the way to go, even after the fan is in use. I'm a huge fan of fresh air, especially when there's a gas heater in a small space. One good thing is that propane actually burns a lot cleaner (it has a more complete combustion) than natural gas. You're right about the poly, but if it was mine, I would use the same product beause discoloration is much more likely with your use than wearing out. Good job!
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    Looks great! Where are you putting the stripper pole?
    Streater:
    Looks great! Where are you putting the stripper pole?

Haven't found one that will hold me.....
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    i stayed a few days with a friend who had a stripper pole in her place... until she got to showing off one day and i spent the next patching the hole in the ceiling
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    taythegibs:
    i stayed a few days with a friend who had a stripper pole in her place... until she got to showing off one day and i spent the next patching the hole in the ceiling
    That is a "friend" that you want to keep in touch with.....
    brianetz1:
    taythegibs:
    Did an inspection of an appartment once in the university district. They had 2 stripper poles complete with raised platform stages and mirrors and "disco" lighting. In the basement, there were wall to wall mattresses.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    JDH:
    brianetz1:
    taythegibs:
    Did an inspection of an appartment once in the university district. They had 2 stripper poles complete with raised platform stages and mirrors and "disco" lighting. In the basement, there were wall to wall mattresses.
    why were you inspecting Brothels?
    brianetz1:
    JDH:
    brianetz1:
    taythegibs:
    why were you inspecting Brothels?
    Not a brothel, it was rental property with a bunch of college guys in it. The landlord invited us and the Fire Dept in to see if we could "help him out" regarding some of the "modifications" thay had made to the place. It was an interesting day.
    Getting closer.

Trim work done, paint on. Final trim board going up around top, then poly, flooring bar, leather sectional, plasma tv, and I'm done till spring.

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Yep...still jelly.
    pross:
    Getting closer.

Trim work done, paint on. Final trim board going up around top, then poly, flooring bar, leather sectional, plasma tv, and I'm done till spring.

Good Job! The trim looks great, and a sloppy finish job can make or break the project. I know this from experience. Poker tournaments at your place!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Looking awesome brother.