Home General Discussion

Rank these Connecticut Wrapper sticks

ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
I've never really spent much time smoking Connecticut wrapper cigars and want to make that a point of emphasis in the near future...but where to begin.

What of these do you really enjoy and why and which would you stay away from? Thanks for any help.

-Avo
-Ashton
-Montecristo White
-Macunudo
-The Griffin's
-Alec Bradley Connecticut
-Rocky Patel Connecticut
-Camacho Connecticut
-5 Vegas Gold

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Eh..can't go wrong with AVO. Never had the rest.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    ZAP:
    I've never really spent much time smoking Connecticut wrapper cigars and want to make that a point of emphasis in the near future...but where to begin. What of these do you really enjoy and why and which would you stay away from? Thanks for any help. -Avo -Ashton -Montecristo White -Macunudo -The Griffin's -Alec Bradley Connecticut -Rocky Patel Connecticut -Camacho Connecticut -5 Vegas Gold Any other suggestions?
    -Ashton
    -Avo
    -Perdomo Champagne
    -Montecristo White
    -Oliva reserve
    -hoyo de monterey
    -San cristobal
    -The Griffin's
    -Camacho Connecticut
    -San Lotano
    -private stock
    -Rocky Patel Connecticut
    -Macunudo
    -Alec Bradley Connecticut (havent tried)
    --5 Vegas Gold
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    AVO, Ashton and Monte White are all very tasty IMO, except I think I like the Ashton Cabinet slightly more than the original.

Haven't had any of the others except for RP and 5V Gold. They are fine if you like a connie stick, but can't touch the first 3 IMO.

Having said that I'd really like to try the Griffin's though.
    Heavy:
    AVO, Ashton and Monte White are all very tasty IMO, except I think I like the Ashton Cabinet slightly more than the original.

Haven't had any of the others except for RP and 5V Gold. They are fine if you like a connie stick, but can't touch the first 3 IMO.

Having said that I'd really like to try the Griffin's though.
    +1 on the Ashton cabinet, The Gran Habano and La Perla Connies are good too and are above the RP and the 5 Vegas
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    best conney ive had yet was the san lotano
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Stradavarious, Davidoff Anniversario series, Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta, Room 101, and Macanudo Vintage 2000 Connecticuts are my top favourite.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Connecticut
    San Lotano Connecticut
    Avo
    Ashton
    Perdomo Champagne
    San Cristobal Elegancia
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    ZAP:
    I've never really spent much time smoking Connecticut wrapper cigars and want to make that a point of emphasis in the near future...but where to begin. What of these do you really enjoy and why and which would you stay away from? Thanks for any help. -Avo -Ashton -Montecristo White -Macunudo -The Griffin's -Alec Bradley Connecticut -Rocky Patel Connecticut -Camacho Connecticut -5 Vegas Gold Any other suggestions?
    Avo.... The rest...meh, although I like Monte white but not the price. Others I like are Perdomo Champagne, Tatauje Cabaiguan, anything by Davidoff, Ccom American, San Cristobal Elegancia, Room 101, San Latano
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Based on your list I'd go with Camacho, AVO and Ashton. Never had a Griffin's and the Monte White I had was a bum stick. I'd also add San Lotano, LGC Retro and La Aurora Preferido Conny and Cabaiguan (my personal favorite).
    Side discussion on connies that I've never really seen discussed on here: aging. Or maybe I should call it 'rest'.

I know most people don't really think of aging a connie stick, and for good reason since most are mild and age would likely take most of the flavor out of it. BUT, in my experience I've discovered that about 1 year or a little more (18+ months is the most I've ever aged a connie) can really help those nutty/bready flavors come out. Even though they are mild, I think a young connie can have a bit of harshness on the front end.

I first discovered this early on with a Park Avenue early in my smoking career (which I should have mentioned - I think this is the best budget connie out there). First one I had was harsh and just not good at all, so I buried the few I had left. Dug one out not expecting anything about a year later and was shocked by how good it was - it was a completely different stick. I've experienced similar things with an Ashton orginal and Cabinet.

Any one else experience this, or am I just nuts?
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    This is a very good question. Cigar is not only mild, medium and full bodied for the wrapper but also for the other tobaccos in binder and fillers. It is true wrapper releases 50-60% taste of a cigar but binder and fillers are important at the same time.

The other factor is some tobacco simply does not go well with every wrapper. This is the challenge and art of a blender- how they utilize and allow different tobaccos to marry with each other. Connecticut wrapper has soft, creamy, slight floral aroma but at the same time the weaknesses is its bitterness. Some blender age Connecticut in rum, cognac and other liquor barrels to soften the bitterness and naturally infuse some sweetness to the tobacco. It is also true young Con. tobacco leaves intended to be more bitter than aged Con.

The key is how the blender age, utilize and optimize the taste of Con. leaf with the blends. There is also Connecticut Ecuadorian wrapper which has little more body for the strong sun in Ecuador and different soil and the weather. It does age better than US Connecticut. The blender usually try to make mild to medium bodied fillers blend with Connecticut wrapper to optimize the creamy texture of the wrapper. but again, it also depends on the binder and filler tobaccos.

In a nutshell, it is true Connecticut does not perform well with long aging compares to Cameroon, Habano, Maduro and others. However, there is also some exception such as Stradavarious, Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta, Macanudo Vintage 2000 and many others. It all depends on the blends and other factors.

Finally, blending cigar is an art and some blenders can do magic with tobaccos.
    Heavy:
    Side discussion on connies that I've never really seen discussed on here: aging. Or maybe I should call it 'rest'.

I know most people don't really think of aging a connie stick, and for good reason since most are mild and age would likely take most of the flavor out of it. BUT, in my experience I've discovered that about 1 year or a little more (18+ months is the most I've ever aged a connie) can really help those nutty/bready flavors come out. Even though they are mild, I think a young connie can have a bit of harshness on the front end.

I first discovered this early on with a Park Avenue early in my smoking career (which I should have mentioned - I think this is the best budget connie out there). First one I had was harsh and just not good at all, so I buried the few I had left. Dug one out not expecting anything about a year later and was shocked by how good it was - it was a completely different stick. I've experienced similar things with an Ashton orginal and Cabinet.

Any one else experience this, or am I just nuts?
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    jj20030:
    best conney ive had yet was the san lotano
    Yes...Yes the churchill, lol.
    Hey, thanks rzaman for the response brother. That was very informative. I've never really heard anyone discuss the bitterness (or harshness as I've always thought of it) of a Connecticut. Particularly in this age of full-on ligero strength and power, Connecticuts don't seem to get too much press. I understand how one can get bored with them, but I don't get to smoke as much as I'd like so I like to keep a few milder sticks on hand including a few connecticuts.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    While I'm normally a medium-full/full kind of guy, I occasionally smoke a "more mild" smoke.

My absolute favorite is the Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Connecticut.
    No Connecticut wrapped cigar should have this much flavor and complexity.

Expensive, but IMO it's worth every cent.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Alec Bradley American Classic. Smooth, mild to medium with tons of flavor. I hate bland tasteless conny blends, but this sucker surprised the heck out of me and I'm tempted to buy more.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Room 101 Serie C 301C. A light CT wrapper round a dark interior. Sweet chocolate and citrus, like those candies made of chocolate covered orange jelly. A very delicious and interesting CT smoke.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Top 3 IMO are
    Avo
    Griffens
    Camacho
    To add I'd say la aurora sapphire!! Very good conny!! Not a big fan of the conny wrapper but the la aurora is my personal fav so far
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    ZAP:
    Only ranking the one's I've smoked:

1) AVO
    2) Camacho Conn (little kick of black pepper to it)
    3) Monte White (great smoke, MSRP is too high IMO though)
    4) Macanudo 5) (tied) RP Conn / 5V Gold

(Have not smoked the others: The Griffin's, AB Conn, or Ashton)
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Gurkha Park Ave, MoW Virtue, Cusano 18.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    The Kid:
    ZAP:
    -Ashton
    -Avo
    -Perdomo Champagne
    -Montecristo White
    -Oliva reserve
    -hoyo de monterey
    -San cristobal
    -The Griffin's
    -Camacho Connecticut
    -San Lotano
    -private stock
    -Rocky Patel Connecticut
    -Macunudo
    -Alec Bradley Connecticut (havent tried)
    --5 Vegas Gold
    I totally agree with you Rudy, but would also throw the CCOM American Label in there like Dusty did!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    -Avo
    -Ashton
    -Camacho Connecticut
    -The Griffin's
    -Montecristo White
    -Alec Bradley Connecticut
    -5 Vegas Gold
    -Rocky Patel Connecticut
    -Macunudo

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    For my taste... I would rank your list as follows
    Avo ( love everything Avo )
    The Griffins
    Ashton
    Camacho
    Macanudo ( go ahead and hate, haters. )
    Montecristo
    Alec Bradley
    5 Vegas Gold
    CAO Gold
    Rocky Patel Connie ( one RP I just don't like )
    Perdomo. ( not for me at all )
    Also the Fuentes- Chateau Fuentes Connecticut is a solid offering as well.
    Smokin an RP edge lite which is pretty good,, another cigar i forgot which I really enjoy is the Xen by Nish Patel
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    man... forgot all about the room 101 connecticut. ill take that over any other on the list.
    kuzi16:
    man... forgot all about the room 101 connecticut. ill take that over any other on the list.
    Personally wasnt a fan of this one, as I remember poor construction and spongy, will have to give it another go
    Just smoked a Camacho Monarcha, great smoke!!! Better than the Oliva, IMO