Home General Discussion

Question about Cuban cigar and all

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    I don't know but it is a very good question. I do know that sometime blenders adjust the ratio of ligero, seco and volado. I will find the answer for you Jesus. How are you doing buddy? I haven't seen you here for a while.
    big chunks:
    I got a question, I heard a few decades ago they used to create different blends for different vitolas in the same brand to make each size unique, do they still do this?
    I heard one famous Cuban blender is aging some tobaccos from 2000 to create an extra ordinary cigar. It will be released is 2015. Each sticks will cost $100+. Casa del Habano is in process to launch couple more lines like Behike under different brand names. The goal is to offer them for a very selective group of Smokers. CDH has taken a new approach and identified market segmentation after the great success of Behike. I will try to find more information during my trip.
    zeebra:
    rzaman:
    Shawn, they do age tobaccos before roll them. Cuban cigar manufacturing tradition is different than other countries. Cohiba Gran Reserva tobaccos are from 2003, Cohiba 1966, Montecrsito Gran Reserva tobaccos are from 2005 but they come with hefty price tag. They started aging longer than before. More they age, the price go higher. The Cuban cigar smokers are also little different- they buy now and smoke later. They maintain good ratio in their humidor. Also the reputated B&M do not sell the cigars the same year. They age them in their aging vault before offering the boxs to their customers. You can always buy couple years aged CC but each years of aging the price go higher. However, I will still ask the question during my trip..
    zeebra:
    With most of the cuban cigars, why do they not age them like non cuban manufacturers before shipping them out? Will they ever start that process so when I get a box of 2011 Cohiba Robustos, I don't want to have to wait almost 3+ years before really enjoying them. Most all cubans require a lot of aging. Is it the crops that make the difference year to year? The 2011's are already smoking great on the CoRo's and a few others, but usually this is not the case.

I know you will enjoy your trip and very envious of your journey!! Enjoy Rip!
    Yea, I do have a the BHK and one of the 1966 as well, and yes, their price tags are much higher than the average!! My next in line is the new Cohiba Primide, but will wait a bit till the first rush is gone and maybe pick up a 3 pack of them.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I know everyone always says it won't happen, but I'm thinking maybe Obama's second term offers hope for anend to the embargo. We can all only hope. Not that its difficult now to get them, but don't tell anyone that secret. I know plenty like me are actually happy how things are now but an official end would be interesting to see how it effects prices, availability and such.
    blurr:
    I know everyone always says it won't happen, but I'm thinking maybe Obama's second term offers hope for anend to the embargo. We can all only hope. Not that its difficult now to get them, but don't tell anyone that secret. I know plenty like me are actually happy how things are now but an official end would be interesting to see how it effects prices, availability and such.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    rzaman:
    I don't know but it is a very good question. I do know that sometime blenders adjust the relation of ligero, seco and volado. I will find the answer for you Jesus. How are you doing buddy? I haven't seen you here for a while.
    big chunks:
    I got a question, I heard a few decades ago they used to create different blends for different vitolas in the same brand to make each size unique, do they still do this?
    I've been doing ok rip, thanks for asking, been busy at work lately and got a little sick last week but still trying to sneak in some cigars. Hope your Cuba trip goes great
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    blurr:
    I would love to see the embargo lifted and travel allowed to Cuba for everyone, but the concern would be how it would affect Cuba and it's citizens.
    Would the beauty of the country be ruined by commercialization?
    Would big businesses destroy the beauty and natural look of Cuba?
    It would be a shame to see a country go from a place that time seems to have frozen to a huge push into the 21st century.

If you want to watch a fairly good show on cuba, look up "7 Days Cuba".
    If you have Amazon Prime Instant video, you can watch it free.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    I have a question for any one that has some experience smoking ISOM. I would like to broaden my horizons and try a few. What cigars would you recommend to a novice cigar smoker ( been about it about a year and a half) that are relativity affordable (sub 275 a box) that has decent aging potential? Any advice is welcomed. I have only had one ISOM, a cohiba behike 52 an i have one resting a RyJ church hill.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Imgembo:
    I have a question for any one that has some experience smoking ISOM. I would like to broaden my horizons and try a few. What cigars would you recommend to a novice cigar smoker ( been about it about a year and a half) that are relativity affordable (sub 275 a box) that has decent aging potential? Any advice is welcomed. I have only had one ISOM, a cohiba behike 52 an i have one resting a RyJ church hill.
    buy some 3/5/10 packs. Just like all cigars, the profiles of each brand is different and the ISOM change dramatically over time. I like upmann, hoyo, diplomaticos, Vegas robaina, and pretty much any petite corona. Alot of people like bolivar, partagas, monte and cohiba. If I had one suggestion, seems like everyone likes Vegas robaina and if you box buy, plenty of people will split or buy fivers.
    Also...I cannot stress how much age plays a role. Pretty much any of the marcas improve dramatically with 5+ years.
  • HarleyHetzHarleyHetz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    WOW, 5 years seems like a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time to wait to smoke your cigar...but I'm a newbie!!! :)
    HarleyHetz:
    WOW, 5 years seems like a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time to wait to smoke your cigar...but I'm a newbie!!! :)
    Yup...which is why I buy aged everytime I can. Let me tell you.....the difference is astounding, and makes the wait that much easier. I have only aged smokes 1.5-2 years honestly, but I've been lucky enough to buy aged stock and do my own personal research.
  • HarleyHetzHarleyHetz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    catfishbluezz:
    HarleyHetz:
    Yup...which is why I buy aged everytime I can. Let me tell you.....the difference is astounding, and makes the wait that much easier. I have only aged smokes 1.5-2 years honestly, but I've been lucky enough to buy aged stock and do my own personal research.
    Are you buying "aged" at your local B&M or is there a way to get them online?? I am interested in new experiences! I bought a Perdomo that seemed to be quite aged as it had lost a lot of it's color outside of the label (still in celo). It was very soft and to hold in your mouth, but very smooth also...is this a result of aging?
    HarleyHetz:
    catfishbluezz:
    HarleyHetz:
    Are you buying "aged" at your local B&M or is there a way to get them online?? I am interested in new experiences! I bought a Perdomo that seemed to be quite aged as it had lost a lot of it's color outside of the label (still in celo). It was very soft and to hold in your mouth, but very smooth also...is this a result of aging?
    Once you've been in the game awhile, you find your ways. It is illegal to sell them in stores and online... ;)
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    0patience:
    blurr:
    I would love to see the embargo lifted and travel allowed to Cuba for everyone, but the concern would be how it would affect Cuba and it's citizens.
    It would be a shame to see a country go from a place that time seems to have frozen to a huge push into the 21st century.

+1 to all of this above.

Also, what do Cubans think about this - UN once again votes to condemn US embargo against Cuba.
    Does it mean anything to the Cuban people? Or is it just old news since it's the 21st time the UN has voted this way.
    The loosening of travel restrictions is a move in the right direction - but I'd be interested to hear what the opinions are on if & when the embargo will be lifted - will it happen during our lifetime?

P.S. - very envious of your trip, Rip - looking forward to your updates.
    Safe travels.
    jgibv:
    0patience:
    blurr:

+1 to all of this above.

Also, what do Cubans think about this - UN once again votes to condemn US embargo against Cuba.
    Does it mean anything to the Cuban people? Or is it just old news since it's the 21st time the UN has voted this way.
    The loosening of travel restrictions is a move in the right direction - but I'd be interested to hear what the opinions are on if & when the embargo will be lifted - will it happen during our lifetime?

P.S. - very envious of your trip, Rip - looking forward to your updates.
    Safe travels.
    Many people thought they would never see the fall of the Berlin wall in their lifetime, yet it happened.
    I think we will see the embargo lifted sooner than some people think.
    It's only a matter of time before the pressures from the UN and other countries will be such that the US will have to consider some kind of treaty with Cuba. At least I would hope that would be the case.
    One more day guys. I heard they control internet in Cuba so if you do not hear from me for a week please do not think I forgot about your questions. So please keep posting. I will try to check everyday.
    Enjoy your trip and be safe.
    Look forward to hearing about it when you get back.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    0patience:
    Enjoy your trip and be safe.
    Look forward to hearing about it when you get back.
    +1, have a wonderful time
    I just came back to Nicaragua after a wonderful and informative trip in Cuba. I have lot of notes, pictures, samples and information. I need some time to organize them. Yes, I got all the answer you guys have asked for. It was a memorable trip, meeting many people from all over the world in the Partagas 20th cigar festival, collected some rare cigars, new released, met many cigar people. It was simply amazing. I didn’t communicate from Cuba for some valid reason lol.

Pinar del Rio was nicer than the picture. I am tired now but next weekend I will start posting information one by one. Hope you all are doing well and had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    welcome back Rip! looking forward to reading and seeing all the pictures!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Welcome back!!!! I'm sure you found some way to enjoy yourself lol
    I'm very excited to hear about this trip Rip
    Great to hear you are back safe and had a good time.
    Look forward to hearing/reading all about it.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm very excited to hear about this trip Rip
    Reat up, then tell us all about it Rip.
    Some photos:

A quick trip to Panama Canal on the way to Cuba:
    Photobucket
    Hotel Saratoga. Cigar Afiocinado's cover page on the Cuba issue. I smoked a Behike 56 with couple cups of Cuban style Cortadito coffee:
    Photobucket
    Classic car in Havana street. I took many pictures of old cars:
    Photobucket
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Aw, aww, awww!
    Awesome pics!
    The car looks close to an old Pontiac or possibly a Canadian Plymouth, but some differences. Do you know what model it was?
    I have no idea Tony. I took many pictures of old cars. Please note, how clean Havana is. I was very surprised to see this. havana is cleaner than many major American cities. I rented one of this with a driver and he gave me a tour of old Havana. He drove me five hours- i smoked, drank coffee and Havana Club rum during the ride. Where can you have this kind of fun? Sometime I want to retire overseas and enjoy life.
    0patience:
    Awesome pics!
    The car looks close to an old Pontiac or possibly a Canadian Plymouth, but some differences. Do you know what model it was?
    rzaman:
    I have no idea Tony. I took many pictures of old cars. Please note, how clean Havana is. I was very surprised to see this. havana is cleaner than many major American cities. I rented one of this with a driver and he gave me a tour of old Havana. He drove me five hours- i smoked, drank coffee and Havana Club rum during the ride. Where can you have this kind of fun? Sometime I want to retire overseas and enjoy life.
    "Smoked cigars, drank coffee and Havana rum during the ride."
    Now that, in itself would be worth the trip right there.
    It's the simple pleasures that often bring the most joy.
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    "Smoked cigars, drank coffee and Havana rum during the ride."
    Now that, in itself would be worth the trip right there.
    It's the simple pleasures that often bring the most joy.
    My man, you did it up right !!! That's what it's all about, enjoying life.