Home General Discussion

Traveling with cigars

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
S'up y'all, wondering if anyone can answer this for me. Just booked my honeymoon to Punta Cana, DR and I want to just bring some cigars with me rather than pay inflated tourist prices down there. Is that legit? Will I have any problems bringing a 10 ct herfador packed in my luggage? Thanks.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    y2pascoe:
    S'up y'all, wondering if anyone can answer this for me. Just booked my honeymoon to Punta Cana, DR and I want to just bring some cigars with me rather than pay inflated tourist prices down there. Is that legit? Will I have any problems bringing a 10 ct herfador packed in my luggage? Thanks.
    Congrats on the honeymoon! Not sure about the gars..
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    y2pascoe:
    Cigars are fine, one book of matches (I think) is fine, cutters are fine in checked baggage, but DO NOT bring a butane lighter.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    I really can't see why it would be a problem. I have never been to the DR but I have been to several other destinations in the Caribean and have brought a travel humidor with me each time with no issues. I would suggest leaving the labels on all the cigars when you return into the states because this may someone think there Cuban. Lighters are what most people have issues with flying due to countries having their own rules to were you can keep them. On your person or in your checked luggage. Also congrats on the wedding/honeymoon.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I wouldn't see a problem with the smokes. As for the lighter, do you still have the yellow NTSB approved lighter transpak thingie that they gave out at CigarFest?
    skweekz:
    I wouldn't see a problem with the smokes. As for the lighter, do you still have the yellow NTSB approved lighter transpak thingie that they gave out at CigarFest?
    What the what? Know anywhere a person might find one of these other than CFest?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    just cigars are not a problem.
    cutters and fire are a different story.
    i tend to find them at my destination. I dont wanna chance loosing my expensive accessories to the TSA.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Ken Light:
    skweekz:
    I might know a guy that has 2 if you're interested.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Ken Light:
    skweekz:
    I have used this in the past. Still, call ahead to security offices at airports you will be traveling, the local agents always have 'final say' until you are home and able to file a proper complaint.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    i tend to find them at my destination. I dont wanna chance loosing my expensive accessories to the TSA.
    Listen to these words. You can get matches anywhere, and you can just pre-punch or cut them all before you go. Save yourself a headache.
    skweekz:
    Ken Light:
    skweekz:
    I might know a guy that has 2 if you're interested.
    PM to you.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    1st...congrats on the wedding 2nd. enjoy your honeymoon 3rd That was the case we have received @ CF the last 2 years. Realize though that DOT and TSA are really only US 'approved,' no one else really cares about them. (nothing personal) 4th. Since u will be travelling to another country where they likely do not care, nor recognize the "approval." I would never use that case other than for domestic flights within the USA, where those approvals are supposed to be valid for....but even then, the potential loss is greatly outweighed by any potential gain. Buy a bic in the airport when u land, and pack in checked baggage, the $.10 plastic cutter they used to include randomly in orders that most of us have a few of to use in a pinch. PS. get married, enjoy your trip....and sacrifice a few smokes...however u end up cuttin and torching them up :)
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    kuzi16:

Finally, something I can chime in on. I travel a lot and from trial and error. What Kuzi said is on point. The best option if you just have to have that favorite lighter and cutter. Put everything in your luggage and pray no one goes through it or it gets held up in transit. I always travel with three or five cigars on me. But never take my lighter or cutter. If someone at your destination can help you with getting it for you. Or point you in the right direction where you can get a lighter and cutter. I would go that route. I never once had my cigars taken. But my lighter and cutter, I have twice..
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Also, as for the DR. I just had a friend bring me back some cigars. And they (airport) didn't care that they had lighters and cutters in their carry on luggage.
  • SheehanadamSheehanadam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    Travel every second week for the last couple yrs. Always pack my preferred cutter and lighter in checked bag but drain fuel from lighter before hand. Haven't had an issue. Only thing I've experienced is TSA *** taking matches when I've had multiple boxes. Oh yeah and take your cigars as carry on. Had a couple in unseated holds come out cracked on the other side, from what I can only describe as temp fluctuations.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Thanks for the congratulatory words and information guys! Much obliged!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Heck with the cigars... It's your honeymoon ... who's getting out of bed for a smoke?

CONGRATS!

I'm thinking of Jimmy Durante singing "Make Someone Happy"