Home General Discussion

New humidor in!

biodarwinbiodarwin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 260
I just got my humidor kit and notice I have both a disc with a solution to use and a little bottle with crystal gel humification gel on the side. Should I use both of these? Only one? Someone mentioned in my newbie thread the discs are bad and can cause mold? What do you think?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Toss the disc and solution. Use the gel or get some beads. Also, get a digital hygrometer. Search the Cigar 101 threads for seasoning/charging a humidor. There's lots of info there.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Ross the disc keep the solution!! After a bit your crystal will be more water then solution causing the humidity to rise...then add the solution!! May as well save it so you don't have to buy some later down the road
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    If you have a hockey stick the disc makes for a great puck... thats it. Toss it.
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 260
    When my humidor came in after a few hours of just sitting on the table before I had a chance to put things together it was already at 65%RH. After 24 hours it has been at 70%RH. In the bottom is a Boveda seasoning packet. I pulled the disc out today. I guess its not fair if there are no pictures :)
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Looks a little...empty.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Rain:
    Looks a little...empty.
    It's almost Christmas...
    Rain:
    Looks a little...empty.
    I am new to Cigars. I do have several sampler packs coming in. Should have about 30 in there by the end of next week.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    The worst (or best) thing you could have done is post a picture of an empty humidor on this forum. Might wanna give your maillady some flowers tomorrow.
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    Looks a little...empty.
    I am new to Cigars. I do have several sampler packs coming in. Should have about 30 in there by the end of next week.
    I don't mean "It looks empty, silly nooblet harharhar", I mean "It looks like you need some help filling that thing up."
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    Nice Humi Bio. Enjoy and start picking out your next size up now.
    Rain:
    I don't mean "It looks empty, silly nooblet harharhar", I mean "It looks like you need some help filling that thing up."
    I did not take it as such :) Filling it up has been the hardest part. So many options and I have smoked so few cigars. So far I think I prefer dark, cocoa/coffee like sticks. The RP Vintage 1990 has been my go to smoke so far as it is available locally. I have had one nice person offer to send my first "bomb". Not surprising tho, you guys are one of the nicest and sincere online communities I have came across! Looking forward to bomb someone once I get this humidor filled up :)
    cooch36:
    Nice Humi Bio. Enjoy and start picking out your next size up now.
    Sadly enough I have already started to look :)
    biodarwin:
    So many options and I have smoked so few cigars. So far I think I prefer dark, cocoa/coffee like sticks. The RP Vintage 1990 has been my go to smoke so far as it is available locally.
    Along these lines does anyone have any suggestions? I picked up these samplers so far: Ultimate Connoisseur’s Collection http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST208-V Vintage Collection http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-CIGASST230 and for variety: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/586478.aspx A diesel sampler and a man' o war sampler from todays daily deal.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    keep that pic for reference! and compare in 2 or 3 weeks!! i havent bombed... i mean welcomed, anybody in awhile. pm me your addy!!
    reggie713:
    keep that pic for reference! and compare in 2 or 3 weeks!! i havent bombed... i mean welcomed, anybody in awhile. pm me your addy!!
    Thank you sir!
    reggie713:
    PM'ed. You guys are too awesome!
  • Big TexBig Tex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    biodarwin...pm to you!
    Big Tex:
    biodarwin...pm to you!
    Thank you sir!
    reggie713:

You were correct. It does not take too long :)
  • Big TexBig Tex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    biodarwin:
    reggie713:

You were correct. It does not take too long :)

I still see some room in there..... ;)
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I'm so confused.
    I went to my local cigar store asking for some of the 'bead jars.' He sells those as well as the gel packs and the round and rectangular humidifiers, and he emphatically told me NOT to use anything other than round and rectangular units. He told me that bead stuff will put a film over my cigars and won't provide enough humidity. I mentioned what I'd heard here about the round and rectangular humidifiers causing mold and he said, "Don't listen to what they say on the Internet. As long as you don't oversoak them and you use distilled water they'll work perfectly and they won't ruin anything."
    So, for the moment I'm taking his word and only using the humidifier that came with my new humidor.
    raisindot:
    I'm so confused.
    I went to my local cigar store asking for some of the 'bead jars.' He sells those as well as the gel packs and the round and rectangular humidifiers, and he emphatically told me NOT to use anything other than round and rectangular units. He told me that bead stuff will put a film over my cigars and won't provide enough humidity. I mentioned what I'd heard here about the round and rectangular humidifiers causing mold and he said, "Don't listen to what they say on the Internet. As long as you don't oversoak them and you use distilled water they'll work perfectly and they won't ruin anything."
    So, for the moment I'm taking his word and only using the humidifier that came with my new humidor.
    Bro, we will not lead you astray. Gets beads or boveda and get those mold magnests called round/rectangular humidifiers out of your humi ASAP. You don't need bead jars, just by the beads and put em in anything you want..socks, tupperware, dead bodies....well, not the bodies. Search around the forum and there are like 10000 articles on beads.
    Given how cheap they are, I do not see why people just don't use the Heartfelt humidity tubes. It seems like a no brainer.
    biodarwin:
    Given how cheap they are, I do not see why people just don't use the Heartfelt humidity tubes. It seems like a no brainer.
    Because, just like cigars, everyone has a different opinion. Some people swear by Heartfelt, other Boveda. I think everyone agrees, though, that the standard ones (circle/rectangle) are garbage.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    raisindot:
    I'm so confused.
    if your local B&M uses those "round and rectangular units" to humidfy his cigars at the store, he has room to talk. however, i would stop buying cigars from him. Some of the guys on this forum have years and years of experence. i'd listen to the nation. havent steered me wrong so far.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    Rain:
    biodarwin:
    Because, just like cigars, everyone has a different opinion. Some people swear by Heartfelt, other Boveda. I think everyone agrees, though, that the standard ones (circle/rectangle) are garbage.
    I take the cheep round ones apart and rip out the foam. Then I put a small piece of plastic window screen in and fill them with Heartfelt beads...... works great. I found out the hard way that the original metal mesh will rust if not replaced with plastic screening.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    raisindot:
    I'm so confused.
    No offense, that guy is an idiot. I know people with collections that are probably bigger then his store...they use kitty litter. FYI...most B&M's I've ever been too are filled with morons or salespeople. Heed the advice of the members here. Oh....and ask WhoDeyGal about using those humidifiers... For the record, I normally refuse to smoke anything out of a B&M until it has sat in my humi for a week because most overhumidify.

Sounds like the kind of owner that sells "plume" on a regular basis to his customers, not mold.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    catfishbluezz:
    No offense, that guy is an idiot. I know people with collections that are probably bigger then his store...they use kitty litter. FYI...most B&M's I've ever been too are filled with morons or salespeople. Heed the advice of the members here. Oh....and ask WhoDeyGal about using those humidifiers... For the record, I normally refuse to smoke anything out of a B&M until it has sat in my humi for a week because most overhumidify.

Sounds like the kind of owner that sells "plume" on a regular basis to his customers, not mold.
    +1 to what Cat said.
    Like he said, there is a thread by WhoDeyGal, about mold and the foam humidifiers.

That being said, you can use the foam ones and they will work, but they require a lot of maintenance and a watchful eye. If anything goes wrong, you will end up with a mess in a hurry.

The other thing to think about...........
    Do you listen to guys who are trying to sell you products or the guys who invest in their cigars for aging and would never jeopardize their valuable cigars to mold?
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    0patience:
    Do you listen to guys who are trying to sell you products or the guys who invest in their cigars for aging and would never jeopardize their valuable cigars to mold?

Since I'm a complete newb, I try to listen to lots of points of view, since there is as much disinformation and old wive's tales from 'experts' out there as there is good information. Not that any advice from anyone here would fall into the folk remedy category, of course.

Anyway, I ended up calling up a total of 9 different cigar retailers--5 local B&Ms and 3 online to ask the same question. No one was trying to sell me anything and all carried beads and round/rectangular humidifiers. The results:

Foam humidifiers: 3
    Beads/crystals: 5
    Either approach is fine--mold will only happen if you over-saturate the foam: 1

In the end, I've decided to go for the beads because they both absorb and emit humidity and require less maintenance.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    raisindot:
    Since I'm a complete newb, I try to listen to lots of points of view, since there is as much disinformation and old wive's tales from 'experts' out there as there is good information. Not that any advice from anyone here would fall into the folk remedy category, of course.

Anyway, I ended up calling up a total of 9 different cigar retailers--5 local B&Ms and 3 online to ask the same question. No one was trying to sell me anything and all carried beads and round/rectangular humidifiers. The results:

Foam humidifiers: 3
    Beads/crystals: 5
    Either approach is fine--mold will only happen if you over-saturate the foam: 1

In the end, I've decided to go for the beads because they both absorb and emit humidity and require less maintenance.
    good choice!