Home General Discussion

Going to Cancun in 2 weeks ----Cubans!!!

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
I need suggestions on what kind of Cubans I should look to purchase on my honeymoon in Cancun. I am hoping to get enough to smoke at least one per day while I'm across the border. I'll leave this as broad as possible, I'm just looking for suggestions from anyone who's had the pleasure and enjoyment of tasting Cuba's finest. Thanks!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Bolivar petit corona, H. Uppman #2 or Magnum 46, Montecristo Edmundo, El Rey del Mundo choix supreme, Partagas Lusitanias, Romeo y Julieta churchill...those are some good ones
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    cool dude. I haven't got them yet, but my wifes best friend has a wife of a relative who lives in Cuba with their own tobacco field. I guess she comes up in the summer and always brings some with her, I was told she'd bring me a box this summer. I'm skeptical but if so I will not say no. Good luck on your trip.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    FAKES!!!look out for fakes...there are tons on them! real cohiabas do not taste like rat piss...there's a start....and check out these guys...http://www.cancuncd.com/cancun cigars.php .... the cigar I had from there was top knotch...and you can tour the place and what not..they will roll you a cigar to smoke too..right in front of you
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
    I was planning on only visiting La Casa del Habano on the strip for my cigars. I've heard very good things about them and that they're one of the few reputable places in the area. But I will have to look into your suggested shop as well. Thanks
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    jeff_connors:
    FAKES!!!look out for fakes...there are tons on them!
    a greed. Look >a href="http://www.vitolas.net/index.php?cat=16"> HERE to brush up on counterfeit identification.
    jeff_connors:
    FAKES!!!look out for fakes...there are tons on them!
    a greed. Look HERE to brush up on counterfeit identification.

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Good info on the counterfeits, Kuzi. Thanks. While on the subject of Cubans, let me ask you this - - I read somewhere that an American citizen, no matter where in the world he might be, would be in violation of the law for owning or possessing a Cuban cigar.

Do you know if there's any truth to that??

Thanks,

Marty
    P.S. I sure hate having to compose a post in html. Don't have to do that on other forums...
    That is ridiculous if true and I will rebel to the fullest degree!!!!!!!!

While in Mexico of course ;)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    jlmarta:
    Good info on the counterfeits, Kuzi. Thanks. While on the subject of Cubans, let me ask you this - - I read somewhere that an American citizen, no matter where in the world he might be, would be in violation of the law for owning or possessing a Cuban cigar.

Do you know if there's any truth to that??

Thanks,

Marty
    P.S. I sure hate having to compose a post in html. Don't have to do that on other forums...
    It is true. Several months back I looked up the actual text of the law and it did state that an American citizen would be in violation if in possession of any Cuban goods regardless of where they were in the world. But, it's not like they really enforce it...or can enforce it, what are they gonna do, follow you around everywhere?
  • kent1146kent1146 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    If you want to be sneaky, bring an empty cigar box of the dominican republic-made version of whatever brand you'd like (Cohiba, Montecristo, etc), with the Dominican sticker on it.  Then fill that box up with Cuban cigars (bands removed).

In the unlikely event that your luggage gets searched, you can convincingly claim that the cigars that you are bringing in are Dominican made.  If you get asked why they aren't Cubans, you can say that you WISH you got Cubans.... you got those cigars from a friend / family member that doesn't know jack about cigars (hence, the reason they didn't know to buy you the higher quality Cuban-made cigars).

I've been to Amsterdam before and I've heard their law books label Marijuana as an illegal drug and we all know it is illegal here in the states but for some reason no one who owned Coffee Shops seemed to care about the law books and of course I wanted to bring them business while touring there ;) Same goes for Mexico and their right to sell Cuban cigars, I'm only trying to help the local business owners out.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Just take the bands off the cigars before you come back and you won't have any problems. You can always put some of the bands in another suitcase or something else that probably won't be searched.
    Krieg:
    Just take the bands off the cigars before you come back and you won't have any problems. You can always put some of the bands in another suitcase or something else that probably won't be searched.
    i hear that because of this practice they consider all cigars that are unbanded as contraband.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    take your own bands with you and a stick of glue
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Casa del Habano is reputable, so you have the right place there. One of the few places you can rely on. I've only had two cuban Cohibas and one Montecristo to date, so I can't make the best recommendations, though all of them were good (the monte was the best so far). Coming back from a cruise in November, I brought my travel humi and filled it up with about a dozen or so cuban cigars and didn't bother taking any bands off - any precautionary measures and I had no trouble at all.
  • WafflebobWafflebob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 118
    I know that quite a few people have been busted trying to bring them into the US, especially if they have large amounts of them. While it's illegal for an American citizen to buy them, regardless of where they are, I don't think anybody has actually been busted for purchasing or smoking one outside of the country. If I were you, to be safe I wouldn't bring too many back, and I'd get something that is made under the same name and sold legally in the US like Partagas, Cohiba or Montecristo, or some of other brands people have mentioned. Besides, just because they are Cuban doesn't mean that they are the best, or that you will even like them. Cuban's are mostly just special now due to reputation and the fact that they are illegal in the US. Since Castro took over many other high quality brands have popped up all over the world. The only thing that can't be duplicated exactly is the tobacco grown in Cuba.
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    lol, im so tired of hearing people say..."just cause they're cubans doesn't make them awesome" I swear there is always someone to say that when anyone even mentions a cuban cigar. I know that they may not be the best, but cigars are my hobby and if I go out of the country I'd like to try something that is a rare treat. Just like if I go to austria, I'm probly gonna try the shnitzel...*spelling*, lol. I'm pumped about my honeymoon to mexico next year. We're planning a day of just walking around trying different kinds of tequila and smoking cigars with nothing else to do. (with frequent trips back to the resort of course.../wink)
  • WafflebobWafflebob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 118
    nsezell:
    lol, im so tired of hearing people say..."just cause they're cubans doesn't make them awesome" I swear there is always someone to say that when anyone even mentions a cuban cigar. I know that they may not be the best, but cigars are my hobby and if I go out of the country I'd like to try something that is a rare treat. Just like if I go to austria, I'm probly gonna try the shnitzel...*spelling*, lol. I'm pumped about my honeymoon to mexico next year. We're planning a day of just walking around trying different kinds of tequila and smoking cigars with nothing else to do. (with frequent trips back to the resort of course.../wink)
    I was mostly bringing it up because nobody had yet. I would love to try them too, given the opportunity. My main concern here is from the talk of people trying to smuggle them back into the US. I'd hate to see somebody drop a bunch of money and risk huge penalties only to find out they don't even like them as much as legal brands. By the Way, I looked up the laws regarding it and getting caught bringing Cubans into the US runs up to $250,000 in fines and 10 years in prison. Typically they will confiscate unbanded cigars at the border and they are trained to identify cigars that have had the bands swapped.
    nsezell:
    i understand that cigars are your hobby.
    really. I do.
    the statement "just cause they're cubans doesn't make them awesome" has more truth to it than you may know. while i encourage you to try every cigar that you can get your hands on i also want you to be aware that there are cuban brands out there that are not as good.

for example...
    I am not a fan of the cuban brand "Diplimaticos"
    i know people that love them. they are a bit on the lower end of the Cuban cigar premium hand made spectrum, and in my opinion it shows.

cuba doesnt pump out only the highest rated cigars in the industry. they also produce some real crap. if you want it to taste good, make sure its real, and dont go for the "deal" on a cheaper brand.
    A list I found online had these Cuban Cigars rated as the best of all time, can't remember the link but here it is.

99 -- Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona (Winter 1992/93)
    96 -- Cohiba Robusto (Autumn 1992)
    96 -- Flor de Cano Short Churchill ( Autumn 1992)
    96 -- Punch Double Corono (Spring 1995)
    96 -- Romeo y Julieta Fabuloso (Summer 1993)
    95 -- Montecristo No. 2 (June 2000)

I'm guessing all of these cigars are still excellent smokes today but notice that all of them go back over 15 years ago with exception of two.