Home General Discussion

Xikar VS Lotus...Opinions?

Stew3223Stew3223 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
Hey guys,
  So my girlfriend spilled the beans last night that she bought me a Xikar EX II carbon fiber lighter for my birthday next month.  Now, This is awesome because well...I love carbon fiber.  However, after looking into the lighters details I discovered its a soft flame.  I have never used a soft flame lighter for cigars and im not sure Im going to like it.  I Really liked my Xikar executive torch until it crapped out. One of the things I liked about it is I could easily aim and see where I was heating the cigar and very evenly toast the foot. Could you offer me some opinions on soft flame lighters for cigar use? 
Also, I really like some of the designs of Lotus lighters, but I would like to read some reviews or input on their quality versus Xikar.  One concern with the Lotus lighters also is that they only have a 2 year warranty.
Any Input is appreciated!  Thanx guys!

-Steven S.

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I have a NIBO triple jet = runs out after about 2 cigar lights
    and basically an old 'crack' single torch I found at a convenience store a few years ago.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    This is kinda off topic, but you said your executive crapped out on you? Have you contacted Xikar about replacing it? They have the best product replacement coverage I have ever seen, the only company I can think of that is close is Craftsman tools.
  • Stew3223Stew3223 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    Yes, Ill probably send it in and use it as a backup or give it to one of my buddies. Though it worked just fine, the quality is not the highest; the chrome on the button looks cheap, there is slop in the button, and the finish is worn off in several places. I would like something a little nicer though, and since the gift is being given, I am accepting...I just want to find the right lighter if my girlfriend is going to be spending around the $100 mark.

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I haven't had a Lotus, so I can't offer an opinion. I can, however, offer an opinion on the Xikar because I recently purchased a Xikar Exodus of my own. It is a soft flame lighter, but it's nothing like a bic lighter with a weak flame, it has a very stout and thick flame to it and it toasts the cigar perfectly with some good rotation...I also think you are less prone to scorching with a soft flame. Truth be told, I prefer a soft flame to a torch but haven't yet found a good soft-flame lighter, well now I have and I doubt I'll use anything else...though a torch will come in handy for any touch-ups needed.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    soft flame isnt that bad. many of the guys that i respect greatly down at the B&M that i go to only use soft flame.

ive never had a lotus lighter. so... cant tell ya much about that.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    I have a Xikar soft flame and love it. It evenly toasts and lights well. Also the fuel lasts a lot longer than a torch.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I think I have the same lighter as you Leonard...filled it Monday and have used it every day since on two cigars each day, it only sputtered a bit as I did a final burn correction today. With my torch I was filling it every other day.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    You should have a soft flame as well as a torch. If you send that Executive back they'll like send you a new one. They finish is warrantied as well. If given the oppurtunity MOST smokers would use a soft flame especially indoors. Your likelihood of over cooking a cigar is less with a soft flame. And they are just more classy which is what seems is important to you with the new lighter. Once you get your executive back you'll have a good torch for outside everyday use and the soft flame for those times when somethign classier is in order.

As far as the lotus goes I've never used one so I can't comment but I've never heard anything bad about them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I seem to always seem to have problems lighting a cigar outside, have a jet flame and can never see it. I usually light it inside then take it outside. One thing about Xikar, wish they'd make bigger tanks in the lighters (maybe mine is the exception).
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    My local lounge just put out the alec bradly tabletop lighter for use. I really like it and might be a good soft flame option for you.

• Stew3223Stew3223 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    Thanx for the input guys!  Now im all excited for it to come in the mail.  If I werent so inundated with summer courses and two jobs I'd probably have sent the executive in already! Im liking the idea of having the both a torch and a soft flame as lighting options.  Now all I need is the matching carbon fiber cutter!

-Steven