Home General Discussion

GOING to CUBA!!!!!!

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Thank you all! I have been so excited all day long and couldn't accomplish any work. My supirior granted an early release so I can come home and relax. Well, I straight ran to my friend He-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar's office. He is setting up couple of appointments with cigar people in Cuba and a trip in famous Pinar del Rio. Life is good. I will keep you updated.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    rzaman:
    Thank you all! I have been so excited all day long and couldn't accomplish any work. My supirior granted an early release so I can come home and relax. Well, I straight ran to my friend He-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar's office. He is setting up couple of appointments with cigar people in Cuba and a trip in famous Pinar del Rio. Life is good. I will keep you updated.
    Congrats on the visa and the long awaited trip. Just curious are you a forign sevices officer?
    This can sounds little odd. After I came back from Cuba very recently, I thought about it almost everyday. Today, I have decided to go back to Cuba. I think I am in love with Cuba. It is not only about cigar- it is the culture, music, food and the great people of this country. I need another spiritual journey. This time, I want to take tons of picture of Cuban people and its culture. I just initiated the long paper process. I hope I get the visa. Wish me luck guys.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    good luck Rip. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Good luck Rip!!
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    May you get your wish Rip!!
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    rzaman:
    I just want to go there, learn about their cigars and take pictures for my coffee table book "Old Havana: The Cigar and its Culture".

I'm really jealous, Cuba has been a place I've wanted to see since reading some of Hemingway's work, then when I found cigars, man! But your expression for why you want to go is how we start bringing down silly walls like the embargo.
    I agree with you and do not understand this unjustifiable embargo against Cuba. Last time when I was in Havana, I visited Hemingway's two favorite bars- La Bodeguita del Medio and La Floridita. La Floridita has Hemingway's original stool and a statue of the writer standing next to it. You just immediately feel something spiritual about Hemingway why he fell in love with this great city. the best part of Havana is- the world has changed but Havana is still in 1950s. It is hard to come by to a place like this.
    perkinke:
    rzaman:
    I just want to go there, learn about their cigars and take pictures for my coffee table book "Old Havana: The Cigar and its Culture".

I'm really jealous, Cuba has been a place I've wanted to see since reading some of Hemingway's work, then when I found cigars, man! But your expression for why you want to go is how we start bringing down silly walls like the embargo.
    Kevin, I would recommend read the article below about Hemingway in Cuba:

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/65aug/6508manning.htm
    rzaman:
    I agree with you and do not understand this unjustifiable embargo against Cuba. Last time when I was in Havana, I visited Hemingway's two favorite bars- La Bodeguita del Medio and La Floridita. La Floridita has Hemingway's original stool and a statue of the writer standing next to it. You just immediately feel something spiritual about Hemingway why he fell in love with this great city. the best part of Havana is- the world has changed but Havana is still in 1950s. It is hard to come by to a place like this.
    perkinke:
    rzaman:

• Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Rip, I believe u are the most envied man on the forums even more so now than before!! I guess u can give Alex a run for his money!! Take plenty of pics I'm sure I am speaking for all of us we love reading your reviews and seeing the sites living vicariously threw you!!! Enjoy and congrats bro!!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Rip leaving Cuba with cigars in tow

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    dennisking:

Yes!
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    Master cases of cohiba 1966s. Rip indeed is a sexy man
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    The boxes say socks and I'm cool with that too ha!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    This time see if you can get this whole embargo thing worked out while your there:)
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    rzaman:
    Kevin, I would recommend read the article below about Hemingway in Cuba:

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/65aug/6508manning.htm
    rzaman:
    perkinke:
    rzaman:

You're killing me man, as if I wasn't jealous enough already! Seriously though, that was an awesome read, and I have always found it interesting that the Cubans seem prouder of Hemingway than we are. I think the only drawback to ending the embargo might be Havana losing that "place out of time" feel you and others have talked about. Enjoy for all of us!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Yes, I saw a documentary recently and would love to go. I haven't been able to justify the price but... Where in the world could one go and step into the 1950's? The documentary made it look very romantic. I'm guessing the reality is not quite the same.
    Thanks Brian. I will definetly take a lot of pictures this time. I know how much you enjoy the stories from Cuba. I still need to add a lot of information from the last trip.
    Medic45:
    Rip, I believe u are the most envied man on the forums even more so now than before!! I guess u can give Alex a run for his money!! Take plenty of pics I'm sure I am speaking for all of us we love reading your reviews and seeing the sites living vicariously threw you!!! Enjoy and congrats bro!!
    Exactly...you get out from the airport and suddenly you are in 1050s. Havana is truely a romantic and classic city and the only unique city on earth. Everything will change once they open up so I want to enjoy as much as possible. I agree the reality can be little sad at the same time.
    Roberto99:
    Yes, I saw a documentary recently and would love to go. I haven't been able to justify the price but... Where in the world could one go and step into the 1950's? The documentary made it look very romantic. I'm guessing the reality is not quite the same.
    Right and then take over Secretary Kerry's position-:)
    Rhamlin:
    This time see if you can get this whole embargo thing worked out while your there:)
    Hi Dennis, this time I will be very selective. My goal is to buy more paintings and humidors not cigars.
    dennisking:

How do you know? I do want to get couple boxes of 1966. BTW, you are sexier Jliu-:)
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    rzaman:
    How do you know? I do want to get couple boxes of 1966. BTW, you are sexier Jliu-:)
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    hahah. we can only fantasize about your incredible cigar collection. truly amazing! as for the 1966s, I am wanting to get a couple boxes as well. It's just so darn pricey
    rzaman:
    Hi Dennis, this time I will be very selective. My goal is to buy more paintings and humidors not cigars.
    dennisking:

That sounds like a great time. I'm jealous. Could you end the embargo while you are there? Smile [:)]
    jliu:
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    hahah. we can only fantasize about your incredible cigar collection. truly amazing! as for the 1966s, I am wanting to get a couple boxes as well. It's just so darn pricey
    Yeah, but Jiunn, you're super rich. We all know the truth. :Jiunn lights cigar with $100 bill and walks away:
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    dennisking:
    jliu:
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    Yeah, but Jiunn, you're super rich. We all know the truth. :Jiunn lights cigar with $100 bill and walks away:
    True on all accounts as far as I can see! Rip just dont go all Beyonce and Jay-Z on us and create an international incident.

I can't believe I just used and compared Rip and Beyonce/Jay-Z in the same sentence. HA! BAN HIM! Have fun Sir!
    Bombay:
    dennisking:
    jliu:
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    dennisking:

Yes!
    True on all accounts as far as I can see! Rip just dont go all Beyonce and Jay-Z on us and create an international incident.

I can't believe I just used and compared Rip and Beyonce/Jay-Z in the same sentence. HA! BAN HIM! Have fun Sir!
    I aint no big pimpin on B L A D's. get real dawg
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    jliu:
    I aint no big pimpin on B L A D's. get real dawg
    I'm sorry, I grew up in the 80's. Could someone please translate this for me?
    I got my visa today and now it is official. I am going back to Cuba. Man, I dreamed about Havana everyday and now my dreams come true. If you have any question please let me know. Viva Cuba...here I come!!!
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    rzaman:
    I got my visa today and now it is official. I am going back to Cuba. Man, I dreamed about Havana everyday and now my dreams come true. If you have any question please let me know. Viva Cuba...here I come!!!
    I expect a ton a pictures.