Home General Discussion

Humidor Question

mjdxx88mjdxx88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey Guys,

I'm slowly coming back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I'am still kind of a newbie when it comes to cigars but I have had a fully stocked humidor in the past. This is where my problem lies, my humidor was a no name brand humi, it was very nice and worked great! But this time around I would like to do everything right, also my fiance will be more than likely getting me the humidor as a gift which means I need to tell her exactly what to get.

I am starting to look around at humidors and there is no shortage of them, but I cannot not find a lot of information on a more reputable brand like Don Salvatore (I really like the silver studded chest humidor).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had experience with Don Salvatore humi's? I'm trying to be around $300 or less. I have also seen the Dunhill, Prometheus, and Diamond Crown humis, although I'm not sure where to purchase one since I know there are a lot of fakes/knock offs floating around. I am also looking for a humi that is 50-120 cap. I am willing to go smaller than 50, since I am planning to build a coolidor in the near future, maybe even purchase the havana cafe by DS if the reviews are good. depending on the brand an cost.

Thanks,
Mike

BTW the first box I am getting will be La Aurora Preferido Cameroon Tubos :)

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Welcome to the forums! I think the answer you're gonna get is to go straight to the coolidor..get bigger then you need, so I hear.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Watch the Sprint sale, you can get a humi for $50 that will hold 100 easy with a good seal.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    +1 to both of these comments ^^^^

If you want max space for lowest cost - go cooler.
    If you want to save a few $$ and have the patience to wait - definitely go with the sprint sale.

If not, I'd highly suggest either calling or e-mailing one of the reps with your budget, size, and humidor type you're looking for and they'd set you up.
    Also, if you are willing to spend the $$$, wineador is an excellent route. honestly, with the money I spent on humidors and coolers, I could've just bought a wineador and been done.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    All the above is true. But, I have a Savoy humidor (Ashton makes then I think) that I am very happy with as well. Its a 150 ct. You can look into those too, if you like. But its always better to get one you believe is too big, than find out yours is too small
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Wal-mart usually sells Ziplocs 1 gal freezer bags for $4-$5 40 ct. You can easily fit 40+ sticks in there. :)
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    danielzreyes:
    Wal-mart usually sells Ziplocs 1 gal freezer bags for $4-$5 40 ct. You can easily fit 40+ sticks in there. :)
    They also sell huge plastic bins with the snap lock sides ($10) and weather stripping (cut thickness in half to make it more pliable, discard the non-stick side $3), and a digital hygrometer ($2.50). Put them together and you got a hella-of-a-humi for around $15. That is what I did finally after a dozen wooden humidors of various sizes from small to huge and 2 wine coolers. To tell you the truth, I wish I'da done this from the gate and spent the "wasted" money on cigars. You can even start with a smaller bin ($5-$7) and upgrade as needed. Just my $0.02.
  • mjdxx88mjdxx88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great info guys, but I'm not trying to go cheap. I'm looking for quality and workmanship with function. This humidor going to either be in the living room or dining room (needs to pass the wife factor as well). Size isn't a huge deal either 50 would be ideal I can store my box of La aurora's and some singles. Going smaller or larger would work too. As I stated above I'm planing to do a coolidor in the near future for mass storage

I saw savory mentioned above, has anyone else had luck with them?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    mjdxx88:
    Thanks for the great info guys, but I'm not trying to go cheap. I'm looking for quality and workmanship with function. This humidor going to either be in the living room or dining room (needs to pass the wife factor as well). Size isn't a huge deal either 50 would be ideal I can store my box of La aurora's and some singles. Going smaller or larger would work too. As I stated above I'm planing to do a coolidor in the near future for mass storage I saw savory mentioned above, has anyone else had luck with them? Thanks, Mike
    You can try Overstock for a humidor. I got two of the Cuban Exotica ones from them and they were really really nice. They have Cuban Crafter humidors that are much cheaper than on CC site plus you get free/cheap shipping and no tax. They have a nice selection right now too! Good luck on your humi endeavor and welcome back!
    mjdxx88:
    Thanks for the great info guys, but I'm not trying to go cheap. I'm looking for quality and workmanship with function. This humidor going to either be in the living room or dining room (needs to pass the wife factor as well). Size isn't a huge deal either 50 would be ideal I can store my box of La aurora's and some singles. Going smaller or larger would work too. As I stated above I'm planing to do a coolidor in the near future for mass storage I saw savory mentioned above, has anyone else had luck with them? Thanks, Mike
    go the wineador route then bro... Mass storage, looks classy, better smoking experience, no beetles, perfect storage conditions. My two cents....