Home General Discussion

hakko dash for cigar lighting.

thizzcorethizzcore Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
Well it interested me to find out if anyone uses it for their cigar? im a 215 patient and find its a way better resource than a lighter may it be butane or a bic. its a ceramic soldering iron to be exact. I recently lit up a nub habano with it and to my delight it was just as nice as a packed bowl while using the hakko. Its just a way to make sure your cigar hasnt been lit with butane or any other chemical. i dont know how the "traditional smokers" or people might take do i guess im just asking for opinions.

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 207
    I've never tried that, but I guess it would be okay so long as the iron hadn't been used for actual soldering as I would think the lead from most solder would be much worse than butane or even naptha.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    well, a "traditional smoker" probably wouldnt do that just because hes traditional, but as long as it works for you....

the "traditional smoker" would only use Cedar strips.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    You know you hear all this stuff about traditional and the proper way. I watched Don Pepin cut the cap off his cigar with his thumbnail and light his cigar with what looked like a Bic lighter. Now I don't now how much more traditional you get than a guy nearly fresh off the boat from Cuba. Don't get me wrong I have a ritual to cutting and lighting mine, but seeing him do that was awesome.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    madurofan:
    You know you hear all this stuff about traditional and the proper way. I watched Don Pepin cut the cap off his cigar with his thumbnail and light his cigar with what looked like a Bic lighter. Now I don't now how much more traditional you get than a guy nearly fresh off the boat from Cuba. Don't get me wrong I have a ritual to cutting and lighting mine, but seeing him do that was awesome.
    This has always been my theory on cigar smoking...as noobs, we're always asking how you do x, y and z. But once you've got a little time under your belt, it's much easier and more enjoyable to just do what works for you. It can be intimidating ready all these posts about how things should be done. For me, lighting has always been a prime example. I use matches, a bic, whatever I have nearby. Have never invested in a good butane and frankly don't have that much desire to. I'll probably get around to it someday.
  • Smoky the BearSmoky the Bear Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    I'm with Luko, if it will light it, use it. I played cards with a long time cigar enthusiast about a month ago and he used a blow torch to light his Opus X. After seeing that, I figured if it works then go for it.....
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 80
    madurofan:
    Haha, i had almost the same experience. I was at a local B&M and they had a cigar roller doing just a "this is cigar rolling" 101 thing. Well he rolled a few then picked one up, bit the end off and held a match right up to the other end to light it with a few puffs.

He obviously knows more than I do about cigars, but you'll never catch me lighting or cutting using those methods!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    This has always been my theory on cigar smoking...as noobs, we're always asking how you do x, y and z. But once you've got a little time under your belt, it's much easier and more enjoyable to just do what works for you. It can be intimidating ready all these posts about how things should be done. For me, lighting has always been a prime example. I use matches, a bic, whatever I have nearby. Have never invested in a good butane and frankly don't have that much desire to. I'll probably get around to it someday.

good points guys. I just recently started using a butane ( a cheapie Fujima--$9.95 ) and it works great! Don't miss the point of our love for cigars...relaxation and personal enjoyment , i.e. don't sweat what the other guy does !!!
  • thizzcorethizzcore Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    i was in no way meaning that i cdare about "traditions" more than reading them and getting familiar. perhaps even trying. just wondering if anyone had actually used it and to answer a question up above you remove the metal tip and use just the ceramic element. its actually a quite tasty smoke i must say. no butane/matches etc.