Home Cigar 101

Cat Litter for Humidification

2»

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    kuzi16:
    they are right that you do have to train the cat litter. the best way to do this is to buy several bovida packs that are at the RH that you want. just place the boveda packs in with the litter and let them sit for a week or so. from there on, if you want to train more just add it to the humidor and the humidor will train the litter as its being used.

Exquisicat Pearl (the all white stuff, not the ones with blue) will work too.

i still like heartfelt beads. they take the human error aspect out of it.

...given half a chance i would *** up twice...

I use the Exquisicat Litter Pearls and they work perfectly. My humi holds a perfect 70% all the time.

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    bump!

Getting Kitty Litter for my cooler-a-dor!
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    I use cat litter in my coolador. I'd take pictures but I'm on vacation in Vegas right now. They are handy and fairly easy to use but they do take a little tedious work to get them to hold the appropriate humidity at the beginning.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Yea I've since switched to using the gel crystals. Both the cat litter and heartfelt beads I had started getting mold right about a year. I have/had three different humidors and all three did the same thing. Plus they crack all up and make a mess. I like the cleanliness of the crystals.

In my coolerdor is and has always been a Cigar Oasis and the kitty litter was just there to soak up any excess humidity. If you have a large humidor(300+) of any kind the Oasis is the only way to go.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I've had kitty litter beads for about 2 years or so. Never had a problem. It's a lot easier in San Francisco because the normal humidity is just about perfect - when I take out my hygrometer, it's almost always right around 70%. All of my humidors are pretty much spot on with the beads.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Unthought_Known:
    I've had kitty litter beads for about 2 years or so. Never had a problem. It's a lot easier in San Francisco because the normal humidity is just about perfect - when I take out my hygrometer, it's almost always right around 70%. All of my humidors are pretty much spot on with the beads.
    You're in San Fran? I've been in Concord working all week flying out tonight at midnight.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    my brother & his wife live in concord...small world sometimes....eh! guess if he smoked, his handle might be bearbz-bro :)
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    EDIT: double post