Home General Discussion

***.... Beetles

LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
Well I came home super excited for it's super cool night out, the rain has gone away and the lady is out for the evening. I went of Facebook for a little bit, I went on Reddit for a little bit and then I picked a cigar. I thought that I'd want to try something a little different so I grabbed a Gran Habano 3 Siglos white label that I bought a bundle of right when they were being discontinued.

I got my Palio Cutter and my Rocky Patel torch and set it on the counter..........
Then I noticed a dark spot on my cigar.
It was a pin-hole. I quickly paced up and down the cigar looking for more and I didn't see much until glanced at the foot, in the crack of the cello there was a hole in the tobacco and a HOLE IN THE CELLO! SUNUVABICTH!
I grabbed the box that had the Gran Habanos (it's a Romeo y Julieta box of Habana reserve that is 50/50 Habana reserve and 3 Siglos.
There were two more 3 Siglos that had holes and no Habana reserve that had holes.
Then I GASPED, this was in my BIG fridgeador that housed around 450 sticks, all my cubans and all my really special ones were in there! I hand checked every loose cigar and every box I had in there and there were no more holes. It looks like literally there were three 3 siglos effected and that's it. No real tobacco dust in the humi on the floor, just inside those three cigars cello was the real dust.

The worst part is that the majority of my sticks are now possibly tainted, I only have sandwhich bags which won't hold a SINGLE cigar let alone multiples and my freezer is already full, and it's 11pm so no place is open to run to!

For now I used up all my plastic wrap and wrapped all the cigars within the immediate vicinity of the 3 siglos and they are in the freezer now, and I may either do it in shifts to freeze the cigars or I'll stop in the store tomorrow and buy huge gallon ziplocs to put the cigars in
Either way I'm glad I caught it when I did, I'm glad I decided on a 3 siglo that I normally wouldn't smoke and I'm glad it was only them. Part of me wants to just make sure the RH is down and just see how it goes and not uproot everything and freeze it all. I only say that because I think I know when this happened, during the big heat wave my A/C's coils were messing up so it probably got around 77-79*F in my apartment for a day or two, other than that my apartment has been at a consistent 75*F ever since. I think that one or two days hatched them, they grew and ate their way out but didn't survive too long in 65% humidity and 75*F weather. I know that's being naive and I'm most likely going to freeze everything, but we'll see, just suuuuuucks

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Dude, ( I don't use that term often) I know this is not your first time with B*****s. I can't even type that word. You have the worst luck with that. I hope you caught it all in time.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Sorry to hear this dude. Makes me wanna check all mine..
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    checking mine as we speak, especially since I left them for a month.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I didn't want to take any chances so I turned my monolith down to 41 degrees for abo ut a week twice. Then I turned up the temp 5 degrees per week until I settled on 64 degrees. So when the monolith hits 66 the compressor kicks in and drops to 64. From what I read temp has more to do with it than rH. I also freeze everything I get. My botton shelf runs high and the top shelf is lower rH because the denser air drops to the bottom. But I feel confident that I won't have any issues now. (fingers crossed).

Lassie I feel your pain.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    If you are buying CCs and not freezing, this is going to happen. HSA claims they freeze, but either all the hot shipping or whatever has eggs hatching. If you are stocking CC's and not freezing, well this is going to happen at some point, I learned the same hard way beginning of this summer and freezing a cooler is not fun.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Beetles bloooow