Home General Discussion

Cigar Review Panel Member

rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
I have been selected to be a review panel member for a new blend. I am not allowed to release any information about this cigar. However, this is one of the largest Latin American business conglomerate and not into cigar business. This business family is also one of the richest and largest in the entire Latin America. They will not release the cigar or officially come into the cigar business if they cannot come up with a top quality cigar. This is the reason why they do not want to publish their interest in the cigar business. The master blender is a prominent Nicaraguan-American. I am very humbled to be selected as a member of the tasting panel. This is going to be the first round and we are going to taste six different blends. This is suppose to be a pure Nicaraguan Puro. I am super duper excited. Stay tuned...

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    rzaman:
    I have been selected to be a review panel member for a new blend. I am not allowed to release any information about this cigar. However, this is one of the largest Latin American business conglomerate and not into cigar business. This business family is also one of the richest and largest in the entire Latin America. They will not release the cigar or officially come into the cigar business if they cannot come up with a top quality cigar. This is the reason why they do not want to publish their interest in the cigar business. The master blender is a prominent Nicaraguan-American. I am very humbled to be selected as a member of the tasting panel. This is going to be the first round and we are going to taste six different blends. This is suppose to be a pure Nicaraguan Puro. I am super duper excited. Stay tuned...
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    And as always, I envy you.....
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Dude, that is awesome!
    Thanks James and Randy. It comes with a price. I am not allowed to eat any heavy meal, meat, fish or even chicken. The palate needs to be super clean. However, I smoked a cigar this morning the Zino Crown Series LE 2008. This cigar has been aged well and end with mild aftertaste. Although I was not suppose to smoke any cigar but how can I wait until 3:30PM without smoking a cigar? Anyway, I am not a vegetarian and already very hungry but can't take a full meal. This part sucks.
    Maybe they are setting you up. They tell you not to eat then hit you with a monster, full body smoke ;)
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    you know if you could convince them to bring a couple a hundred for your "brothers" we would gladly help out!! sounds like a great experience, enjoy!
    Nope...a good cigar is not about strength. It is about the maintain the balance between the strength and flavor with long finish. This is going to be a straight medium bodied cigar. Nicaraguan tobaccos is more into the spicy side so it is not a easy task to create a balanced medium bodied smoke with solo Nicaraguan Tobacoo leaves unless the leaves are 8-10 years aged. This is the secret of Padron cigar and also a reason Davidoof use little Nicaraguan tobacco in their blend. Dion of Illusion cigar use a lot of Nica tobacco but use less ligeros to keep the strength weak. You can easily find a strong cigar but not easy to create a balanced blend.
    Rain:
    Maybe they are setting you up. They tell you not to eat then hit you with a monster, full body smoke ;)
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    I will be curious for more details when you get done Rip
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Surprise, surprise. More "beautiful women" for Rip. Surprise, surprise. (congrats. I can't wait)
    marineatbn03:
    i love you
    jliu:
    marineatbn03:
    i love you
    Love you too Jiunny Jam
    LOL...I love you too
    jliu:
    I love you
    Once they finalize the blend, I can definitely manage couple boxes for the BOTLs here. However, finalizing a blend can be time consuming. This company is very picky and apperently they are not in rush.
    reggie713:
    you know if you could convince them to bring a couple a hundred for your "brothers" we would gladly help out!! sounds like a great experience, enjoy!
    rzaman:
    Once they finalize the blend, I can definitely manage couple boxes for the BOTLs here. However, finalizing a blend can be time consuming. This company is very picky and apperently they are not in rush.
    reggie713:
    Not being in a rush is definately a good thing, come out good and come out strong.
    thank you james and rip <3
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Ive been liking some of the newer NC puro blends that are in the medium vein and not spicy and overpowering. I did a tasting of a new blend recently that was a NC puro with medio tempo filler that was fantastically smooth. I can't wait to hear your thoughts, seems like some NC smoother blends have been coming out lately.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    LUCKY !! Enjoy the experience.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Rip,
    They couldn't have picked a better person.
    Sounds like an excellent adventure.
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    0patience:
    Rip,
    They couldn't have picked a better person.
    Sounds like an excellent adventure.
    +1 I always enjoy your insight on the super premiums, by choosing you this company is on the right track for success!
    Thank you all for your encouraging words. Just came back home after the tasting session. It was a great experience. I got a strong nicotine buzz and will post detail tomorrow. I met the master blender of Brickhouse cigar who was also a panel member. Learned a lot about J.C. Newman cigar company and their brands. man never felt so tired after smoking cigars.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Sounds like a awesome invitation and congratulations on being selected. I know it was an exciting day and I can't wait to hear the details. But, I do have one thing to say. Jiunn having a man crush on you is priceless, lol. If that doesn't show the brotherhood in the forum, I don't know what will :).Looking forward to tomorrow Rip...
    So rip, did you smoke several cigars to the nub and decide which one you liked? Or several for the first third or so. I've heard the latter is common in tasting blends to narrow them down.
    Here is the update:
    We were total seven people tasted the preliminary sample blends. We were suppose to taste six different blends but we stopped after fourth blend. All of us attended with clean palate, closed door with various drinks and plenty of water and club soda. Club soda is the best drink to clean the palate.

During initial tasting, tasters do not smoke any cigar to the nub because a good cigar welcome a smoker to the first third. Dustin, you are correct, at this stage we smoke 1/3 to narrow them down. When the blend comes closer then tasters smoke it up to the nub. I was lucky to taste several tasting blends when the Cuenca and Blanco cigar was in the development stage and did the same>

Long story in short, the first blend started with a nice sweet, nutty creamy texture but after 1/3 it didn’t change the complexity that much so it was time to stop smoking the blend. We drank some club soda to clean our palate and lighted up the 2nd blend. It started with more strength with distinctive caramel and cedar notes. However, I putted it down pretty quickly because it lacked intensity and flavors. Couple other members continued . We all took our own tasting notes so it was up to us when to light up and stop smoking. I started the 3rd blend before anyone else. It started with very aromatic flavor and aroma with medium finish and less creamy texture. I smoked it up to the 2/3 but stopped for lack of complexity just before final/3rd. The fourth one was very spicy at the same time aromatic. The goal is to make a creamy, sweet, flavorful and complex blend with medium strength. After three an half hours, I decided to stop tasting because it wasn’t close to the objectives.

Each of the panel members took their time and notes and controlled the timing by themselves. My main role was to identify the super premium blend quality. I have no certification on cigar blending or formal training so I had to go with my instinct and limited smoking experience. My take on the blends was little straight forward- none of them met the objectives and criteria of the company. I liked the 1st and 3rd in a certain extend. I put my suggestions as to decrease the ligeros and add little more Jalapa viso to add more sweetness to it and change the wrapper. It was not aged long enough. I suggested an aged Corojo98, someone suggested an aged Connecticut. My concern was the bitterness of the Connecticut but if the wrapper can be aged in a port or cognac barrel then it is possible to reduce the bitterness of the Connecticut. We explored the option using Subido wrapper but it was dropped by the master blender for some valid concern.

However, we all agreed, it was not ready. We identified the strength and weaknesses and decided to add all the strength into one cigar for the next sample blends. The blender asked for a 2-4 weeks to accommodate all the changes and we will get together soon for the next round. In a nutshell, we are far away from the final blend.

It is fascinating to see how the different palates and personal likes influence the tasting. People also become very emotional, specially the Master blender. It is very hard for him to see how his unborn baby has been criticized by the tasters even before her birth . People become angry and frustrated during tasting. However, at the end, it is all cool, we thanked each other, apologized to each other for our “agree to disagree” position.

I believe some of you are thinking how I got into this. Remember, my friend He-Man: The Master of the Cuban Cigar”? He has been selected to oversight the entire project by the owner of the company. He is an expert on cigars from all over the world and also the distributor of Cuban cigars here. His knowledge is based on extensive traveling, smoking and from armature blending. He is the one who invited me to be a member of the review panel.

As I mentioned to you earlier that this company is not into cigar business and they want the cigar of Nicaragua. They are still ready to get out from the venture if it does not meet their criteria. This is a reason why they asked He-Man’s help rather than from a cigar producer. This is a clear private sector mentality- looking for the right person not the certification. He-Man also decided to change two panel members who were also cigar producers. They were heavily comparing the blends with their top creations. A blend born with a lot of hard work, emotion, creativity, personal pride and prejudice. It is a difficult task unless like as usual commercial blends. It is very easy to make a strong cigar but very difficult to create a balanced, medium bodied premium blend. Nicaragua’s weaknesses is- it still extensively depends on foreign wrapper. When a cigar come to the market, the producer never reveal the true blends. Many times when they say Puros, they do not want to tell us that there is something from another country.

Anyway, I am not allowed to talk a lot so I will limit and end the topic here. All I can say is, I am very humbled to be part of this creation. It is a eye opening experience. I love cigar and the culture around it.
    Photobucket
    Interesting Rip, will be curious to see how the next session develops and whether they heed the panels advice.
    marineatbn03:
    Interesting Rip, will be curious to see how the next session develops and whether they heed the panels advice.
    If they are smart they will..
    Just got a phone call from He-Man. The owner wants to meet me in person. Don't know why but I am very curious.
    rzaman:
    Just got a phone call from He-Man. The owner wants to meet me in person. Don't know why but I am very curious.
    Good luck brother!