Home General Discussion

Do you keep a cigar log?

RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
I'm just a lazy SOB by nature. It just always seemed like to much work for me and would take away from my expierence. Ive never been much on trying to identify flavors. Just like to sit back relax and enjoy. I always remember what I didn't like and usually they didn't stick around long.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Nope. No log.
    I tried to keep a log, but it ended up being one page of a few cigars.
    A bit ago, I got one of those programs for my phone to keep track.
    It has 4 cigars on it. All Torano's. Go figure. LOL!
  • ccezarccezar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    No log keeping here. If I experience a really tasty cigar I just jot down the name in a note app I use on my smartphone.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 590
    No formal log here. I have a bag of bands though haha. I haven't smoked enough cigars to start forgetting which ones I liked or didn't yet. I still have a mental log for the most part.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Nope. I was going to at one time and then I figured out that over time my palate and tastes changed anyways. Add to that, cigars being an agricultural product and variations in weather from year to year, cigars from one year to the next change at least somewhat if not a whole lot in some cases. So keeping a log of a cigar I really enjoyed two years ago may or may not be very helpful. Besides if I did really enjoy it I have a stock of them in my humi anyway.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    No log. If I like something, I typically can't stop thinking about it until I buy some. Then the process starts over with another cigar.... And my humi's get full lol
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I have one I kept up for a bit, but since I'm not smoking as much anymore I don't care to update it after every smoke. I may jot one down if it's really good since my memory sucks. Reading descriptions and reviews before purchases works pretty well in keeping away from dog rockets.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Absolooly. A free app named RateMyCigar. Helps me get over the newbs in two ways:

1) Makes me really buckle down to identify just what it is I like or don't. Makes me concentrate. Makes me find out what wrapper, what filler, what's in the thing that I like, so that I can look for that in the next stick. Crillo versus corojo, for instance.

2) Helps me remember what I've tried and how it worked out. That's what written records are for. In ye olde days, before printing, mnemonics used to be an important part of every education. No longer. Now we are so accustomed to written records that our memories have atrophied, the same way as our legs have since the automobile.

3) Afterwards, I compare my notes to some reviews on line. I want to see whether my flavor vocabulary meshes with how others have described a stick. It won't do much to consult other reviews on a new stick unless you can tell what someone means by "tastes like cashews" for instance.

I think the work put into a log really pays off for a newb. Dunno if I'll have to keep it up five years from now. But as a yearling stogie sucker, it's invaluable for me.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    not every cigar i have had but yes i do have a (b)log: LINK

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    For the most part my log consists of arrival dates and the cigars I will never be buying again lol
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    If I like a cigar, I keep the band, if I don't, I pitch the band. Closest I get to a log. Might jot a word or two down on the band if something sticks in my mind that I want to explore again.