Home General Discussion

I am a cheap date

webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
While sitting on the throne this morning, I reviewed the highest rated entries in my android cigar rating app and came to this conclusion: There appears to be zero correlation between the price of a stick and whether I enjoy it.

Just yesterday, for example, I smoked a six buck Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina Natural I bought at the cigar lounge we visited in Merryland. It was a dead ringer for the Riata I bought at Otter's Pocket for a buck sixty eight. Saturday, I smoked an eight buck Hoyo Excalibur Cam which reflection tells me is right along the lines of the AJ Fresh Rolled Habano which c.com sells for $35 for a mazo of 20. Even from the same house: I tried an MOW and loved it; then tried a Side Project and couldn't stand to finish it. Mike bombed me a San Lo maduro I thought was da bom; someone else bombed be a San Lo CT I tossed in the trash halfway. On the other hand, I know I can reach anywhere in a bundle of Factory Throwout #49s at $23 a bundle and enjoy a great smoke. While the few sticks I've tried north of ten, twelve bucks, I was not impressed.

Is it just me?

I know all my beemer riding buddies are firmly convinced that more money == more better. They'll hock the house for a new R1200GSA, and by the time they've got it farkled they spent $29,000, so they are convinced they have the best. But now they're afraid to drop it. I spent a tenth of that for a used KLR cause it weighs a hundred fifty pounds less and if I drop it who cares. I'm starting to think that stogies work the same way.

Apparently, I am a cheap date.

Comments

• VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I had a Graycliff 1666 with about a year on it last night and couldn't get thru 2 inches of it.... Right in the fire it went. I then grabbed a Helix with the most yellowed wrapper and also over a year on it. The Helix was smoked to a nub and the flavor was enjoyable the entire time. The Graycliff had a 14.99 price tag on it and the helix had a 3.99 on it (I only paid about 5 for the pair). I enjoy finding that "cheap" smoke at my B&M. Enjoying a $3 stick beats tossing a $15 dollar stick.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Nothing wrong with being a cheap date. I enjoy many an economical smoke now and then but I do believe that (to a point) you do have to pay a little more for better tobacco. Purchasing from Ccom is a little misleading since they cut out ALL the middle men from the equation so what you might think of being 'cheap date' worthy may actually cost a pretty penny if you were to buy it at a B&M.

The Diesel line can be had for $3/each but they sell for much, much more in the few B&M's that carry them (I've heard tale of up to $16!!!). Another reason Ccom is the best.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    cheap date?....maybe.....
    But there are other factors that are contributing to the phenomena that you are experiencing (finding that a lesser "priced" smoke is, in your experience, "better" that one you paid more for, or is listed as more expensive)

1) your palate - it's unique, what you like/dislike is different from anyone else, and changes over time
    2) your storage - some cigars do better (burn, flavor, etc) at higher or lower RH, 62 versus 70 for instance
    3) smoking style and vitola - depending on how you smoke, certain vitolas, at certain rh, might taste quite different......... smoking a "Cigar A" Robusto "fast" at a higher RH, will result in a totally different experience, than smoking a "Cigar A" Lancero slowly, stored at lower RH.
    4) some cigars (most of us would say many!) are simply over-priced/over-hyped......so it's easy for an individual to find lesser priced cigars that taste better to them
    5) some cigars are probably "under-priced", and thus, for many of us, compare favorably to cigars we've smoked that are priced much higher

Cheap date?.......I don't think so.........just a cigar smoker like the rest of us

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Perdomo is my favorite budget brand. Their Maduro's and conny's are solid across the lines and surprise me every time. The esv, lot 23, habano, and champagne lines are all good. I've never had a bad one.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I will add H Upmann majestic for $4 a piece as my absolute favorite, and I will be grabbing some RyJ cedros here soon for a bit over $3. Given they are ISOM corona's, not bad.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I can agree to an extent. I liked the few fuente curly heads that I had years ago which are mixed filler and I liked them. It all depends of multiple factors with palate being the biggest imo.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Cheap doesn't mean bad at all!! But in most respects I believe that you get what you pay for. Price gives you higher expectations and a lot of the time you'll be let down. But IMO cheaper sticks really need rest!! So IMO it's up to you wether you'll pay more for a great stick rott or a great stick after a year. But even with some higher end I've found still prosper with rest on them
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Man I'll take a 5 Vegas classic, blue label, est. 1844, any the whole perdomo line all day and enjoy them the same as higher priced blends...
  • SchroozSchrooz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 165
    COuld be your current mood was just not primed to enjoy a cigar at the time. I remember Chief Alex mentioned that there are sticks out there that are rebranded and sold at a different price level. Could it be that the cheappies you enjoyed were actually these premium sticks he spoke of that were being sold cheaper? Anyway, WOuld be nice if we could compile a list of these 'rebranded' sticks so some of us can enjoy premiums without breaking bank.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im all over the place with this topic. i agree that price is no indicator of if i will like it. my favorite cigar is a Davidoff Maduro and close behind is LFD airbender and JdN celebracion. there is a huge spread there.

in my experience there is a bit of an indicator of over all quality of construction when it comes to price. if you are paying $0.90 a cigar and you have one or two in a bundle that dont burn you arent upset. if you are paying $18+ a cigar and one out of a hundred dont burn right then you are pissed.
    the manufactures know that. the pricier ones have better quality control and in part that contributes to the higher price.

of course once you get above $7-9 range in my opinion, that construction quality better be there.

near the lower end it is clearer. the difference between the quality of $1 cigar and a $4 cigar is usually a bit clearer than the quality of a $11 cigar compared to a $14 cigar.
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 171
    I always try to be as subjective as possible while smoking any cigar but sometimes it is difficult when you know what you are smoking! Blind reviews are a fun way to eliminate that factor and just take the cigar for what it is not what's on the band.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    The big thing I like about inexpensive smokes is it makes it easier to try again if you have a bum stick. Bad $4 stick? Sure, grab another one, give it a second chance. Bad $20 stick? ....Yeah, I can find something better to do with it.