Home General Discussion

Things that DON'T Age well?

scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
I hear lots of blah blah blah aging well, but what about cigars that don't age well? I know it is a limited % of the cigars out there, but what do you guys think doesn't age well? Go.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    LP 9, all the flavors except coffee wash right out. Much better at 6-8 months and not much more.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Miley Cyrus and Sara Jessica Parker...... But both started off harsh and ugly anyhow..... OHH CIGARS!

Rocky Patel. I just dont like them with age. Just my opinion
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    bigharpoon:
    LP 9, all the flavors except coffee wash right out. Much better at 6-8 months and not much more.
    Huge +1 on this. I bought my brother in law and I a couple of #9's a few a while ago. We let them sit and rest for about two months or so before lighting them up. We did not get any flavors at all except maybe in the after taste. Since then we have both smoked some 9's ROTT and what a huge difference it made. We found all kinds of flavor profiles and really enjoyed them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bigharpoon:
    agreed that they dont age well at all, and in the exact way mentioned here. its all coffee. it loses all of the dynamics. the fresher, the better. when i smoked one off the rolling table i was even more impressed.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Vision:
    Miley Cyrus and Sara Jessica Parker...... But both started off harsh and ugly anyhow..... OHH CIGARS!
    Damn! Beat me to it. I was gonna say "women - get 'em while they're young and impressionable." I guess us MA guys think alike.
    Rob1110:
    Vision:
    Damn! Beat me to it. I was gonna say "women - get 'em while they're young and impressionable." I guess us MA guys think alike.

AB SO LUTE LEE!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Vision:

I can see Miley Cyrus... But what does the other Horse you mentioned have to do with aging?
    Lasabar:
    Vision:

I can see Miley Cyrus... But what does the other Horse you mentioned have to do with aging?

The horse face killer gets uglier everyday. When she was in Striking Distance shes at leaste a 2.5 now shes a 1. Worse got worse.

Sorry for the thread redirect. Back to cigars
    Im also not a fan of aged Graycliff. Hes a 1666 with about a year on it..... not a fan at all.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Vision:
    Im also not a fan of aged Graycliff. Hes a 1666 with about a year on it..... not a fan at all.
    But a real Graycliff does tend to age nicely. 1666, G2, Turbo, Red and White LE...all those use the Graycliff name, but are not truly Graycliff cigars. And I think that's a major point of distinction when talking about that brand. The blends that are produced in the Graycliff resort are a different animal all together. The Blue label, IMO, is wonderful with a couple years and only continues to improve, I can say the same about the White label as well.
    j0z3r:
    Vision:
    But a real Graycliff does tend to age nicely. 1666, G2, Turbo, Red and White LE...all those use the Graycliff name, but are not truly Graycliff cigars. And I think that's a major point of distinction when talking about that brand. The blends that are produced in the Graycliff resort are a different animal all together. The Blue label, IMO, is wonderful with a couple years and only continues to improve, I can say the same about the White label as well.

I've been to Nasty Nassau and had a fair amount when there. None made it back to the states tho :) I know AJ blands for them as well but in general, for what you find in the states or local b&m usually suck IMO. The Green Label and Double Espresso are my favs. The espresso in Churchill is amazing.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Fair enough...if you're not a fan in the first place, then yeah I'd see how you wouldn't think they age well. To each his own. I'm still a fan...for the right price. I don't think Graycliff makes any amazing cigars personally, but I do enjoy some of them at the discounted prices that are sometimes offered.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    bigharpoon:
    Crap I was given one in a trade and probably will not get around to smoking it for a while.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Vision:

I'd have to go with Lindsay Lohan. Yeah I saw the playboy picture online but that has to be all makeup and photoshop.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    Lee.mcglynn:
    bigharpoon:
    Crap I was given one in a trade and probably will not get around to smoking it for a while.
    I hear you lee... Now I gotta go smoke 24 #9 toros. SOB
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Cu avana and Blue Label,,(not the Blue Label Joz3r is talking about) it is what it is and no amount of aging will help!!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Tig ol bitties.

• *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    bigharpoon:
    LOL, there are worse things to happen to a guy than being "forced" to smoke 24 LP #9s. hahaha.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    Vision:
    +1 to this. I was going to mention RP here as well. My brother got a box of 1990s ~5 years ago and we still had a few left over 3+ years after he got the box. They started out ok, nice flavors, super smooth and mild, a little boring but a nice cigar. So the 3+ years of aging on these guys just seemed to age away all the flavors. It was weird.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    *Petey*:
    Vision:
    +1 to this. I was going to mention RP here as well. My brother got a box of 1990s ~5 years ago and we still had a few left over 3+ years after he got the box. They started out ok, nice flavors, super smooth and mild, a little boring but a nice cigar. So the 3+ years of aging on these guys just seemed to age away all the flavors. It was weird.
    no, that isnt all that weird. that makes perfect sense.
    a cigar that is "ok" and "smooth and mild" will not get "better" if what you are looking for is more flavor.
    cigars age in two ways:
    1) the oils marry together
    2) the oils break down.

each of these smooth out the cigar and mellow it out to a degree.
    the reason why people like aged cigars is because of how smooth they are and what subtle flavors are still there after the in your face flavors have mellowed out.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    webmost:
    Tig ol bitties.

+1
  • OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Roberto99:
    Vision:

I'd have to go with Lindsay Lohan. Yeah I saw the playboy picture online but that has to be all makeup and photoshop.
    They say no one knows what she really looks like under the makeup. I guess even her parents aren't sure. Nobody can get that close to it.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    bigharpoon:

Every palette is different so don't worry too much on the aging LP9's. I've heard just as many people praise them after age as people who tend to like them fresh and young. Don't get your panties in a knot, and trust me you will have NO trouble selling them in a year or 2 if you don't like the aging effects.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    I was reading this thread and I had to jump in. I couldn't disagree more with sayign the 1990s don't age well. I know I'm partial to them and I'm a fan of the brand. But I had a Vintage 1990 and I as less than blown away to say the least when I first got them. A friend of mine at the B&M i chill at raved and raved and raved. I got a bbunch in a bundle and thought they were good but they weren't stellar.

When I revisited them a year later it was a much more charming cigar. The flavors were all there they just weren't punching you in the face it was simply delicious and smooth. The 1992 is even better aged I think.

But I mean these flavors are so subjective I can't sit here and say anyone's wrong. I am not the worlds largest fan of the real heavy hitting cigars. And I've gotten quite a few of them along the way. I age them for at least a year before I smoke them and I've been enjoying them alot more lately. Lately meaning this week :-)
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    I have found I don't really like OSOK's with age on them. I find them much better fresh (under a year.)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Gurkha beauty's suck with age. This is a great thread I got me 1 liga#9 and 1 osok that I've been sitting on guess I better get them out of the bottom of the humi and fire em up.