Home General Discussion

Making your own ash tray?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
So has anyone done this? Now I'm no stranger to using clay and firing but I am wondering how to do it where I can use a lot of bands? What type of glaze or coating to put over the item while protecting it and where it will function like a ashtray should?

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    I have not ...... However I'm looking into making my own but it will be out of wood ...... I'm not sure if you remember the CAO cubist ashtray ..... I've always liked that one and never could get my hands on it so I will be replicating it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    phobicsquirrel:
    So has anyone done this? Now I'm no stranger to using clay and firing but I am wondering how to do it where I can use a lot of bands? What type of glaze or coating to put over the item while protecting it and where it will function like a ashtray should?
    not since high school have i made an ashtray. might wanna go to a local art supply store and ask if there is a place that does pottery or teaches classes.

as far as the bands go, you cant put them on until after they have gone through the kiln. there is no glaze on earth that will protect paper from 1300 degrees.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Ever try acrylic? You can form the ashtray with clay, fire it up. Then put the bands on and then coat in acrylic. A craft shop should have the stuff.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    beatnic:
    Ever try acrylic? You can form the ashtray with clay, fire it up. Then put the bands on and then coat in acrylic. A craft shop should have the stuff.
    good idea. Like kuzi said, the bands will have to be an "after " addition, after the clay is fired once, glazed, and fired again. This kind of makes me want to make one!
  • The buffalonianThe buffalonian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 919
    a record ashtray ?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    The buffalonian:
    a record ashtray ?

Records are usually Vinyl .....
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I would use a clear epoxy or such and just coat a stainless steel ashtray (like a stinky) and then let the glaze just dry and look like a badass..... But I've never really thought about it, so don't listen to me...

Or melt a kickass bottle of booze down into a bowl and put your bands in it... no kiln necessary!
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    Here is an ashtray I made before I could afford a nice one.... it is made from some scrap wood and just right for one.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    jadelt:
    Here is an ashtray I made before I could afford a nice one.... it is made from some scrap wood and just right for one.

I like that! I would prefer something cool like that, I think it looks classy too. Good job, man.