Home General Discussion

stock up on ammo

2»

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    oh yes, solar flare, thats the other thing i couldnt remember. ithas happend before, but there was no technology at the time we still dont know would happen.
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    If I had to stock up on ammo, it would be 9mm, .243, and 12 ga. But, since I gave all my guns to a guy named Bob at the gun show, I don't have any need.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Streater:
    If I had to stock up on ammo, it would be 9mm, .243, and 12 ga. But, since I gave all my guns to a guy named Bob at the gun show, I don't have any need.
    Did he at least have trustworthy face?
  • The buffalonianThe buffalonian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 919
    Alex Svenson:
    The buffalonian:
    bigjohn125:
    Alex Svenson:
    mainly because it is getting expensive to shoot my 375 and 458.
    Go big or go home, right Alex!
    those are like my 45-70 , what gun to you have to shoot that 458. a SOCOM ?
    Both my 375 and 458 are CZ 550 American safari. Great dangerous game guns. Took a cape buffalo with 458 and will be taking my second lion next week with the 375. The 375 is one of my favorites. Lots of planes game and black bear under its belt. That said, ever since someone introduced me to 270 I have been shooting that almost exclusively. What a great caliber that is! I'd take it for the lion hunt but 375 is the minimum for dangerous game where we are going :(
    NICE!! i've always wanted to go on a safari hunt . i did get my first kodiak brown bear and caribou a few years back with a 300WM and had a 45-70 as my back up.
    Streater:
    please tell me you filled out a RFT ,if anything happens with those firearms and you haven't reported the serial numbers as stolen you can have a few issues ...just saying.
    jthanatos:
    Streater:
    Did he at least have trustworthy face?
    He sure did.
    The buffalonian:
    Streater:
    please tell me you filled out a RFT ,if anything happens with those firearms and you haven't reported the serial numbers as stolen you can have a few issues ...just saying.
    We aren't required by law to register our guns in Texas... Just saying
    Streater:
    The buffalonian:
    Streater:
    Sorry i 'm used to NY and technically the 4473 is a form of registration ...just saying
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    ***slowly backs away with his eyes on the people on the room but with a clear path to the front door realising these are similar conversations I hear at the mental hospital in my job***
    to be fair, I never did say I was sane! lol. im not crazy, but the other guy in my head is!!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    The buffalonian:
    Streater:
    The buffalonian:
    Streater:
    Sorry i 'm used to NY and technically the 4473 is a form of registration ...just saying

And there is what I miss least about NY .... all the forms and shenanigans and red tape .... I love Vermont ... you walk in to a gun store ... show them an ID with a valid residence in VT and you exchange some greenbacks for a gun. Just a quick NICS check and you are on your way and ready to conceal and carry a weapon. Thank god its just hippies that live here .... LOL
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    The buffalonian:
    Alex Svenson:
    The buffalonian:
    bigjohn125:
    Alex Svenson:
    Both my 375 and 458 are CZ 550 American safari. Great dangerous game guns. Took a cape buffalo with 458 and will be taking my second lion next week with the 375. The 375 is one of my favorites. Lots of planes game and black bear under its belt. That said, ever since someone introduced me to 270 I have been shooting that almost exclusively. What a great caliber that is! I'd take it for the lion hunt but 375 is the minimum for dangerous game where we are going :(
    NICE!! i've always wanted to go on a safari hunt . i did get my first kodiak brown bear and caribou a few years back with a 300WM and had a 45-70 as my back up.
    Brown bear is on the to do list. It is probably right at the top. I have always wanted to do it but it is a huge time and $$ investment. Someday!
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    I like to shoot those rare orange circles. Sometimes I commit genocide on those poor orange circles.Show them for flying away from me..
    Alex Svenson:
    The buffalonian:
    Alex Svenson:
    The buffalonian:
    bigjohn125:
    Alex Svenson:
    Brown bear is on the to do list. It is probably right at the top. I have always wanted to do it but it is a huge time and $$ investment. Someday!
    i have already planned an ibex hunt with my uncles next year i cant wait for that
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I will add that each gun and ammo is to it's own owner exclusive. I've seen ZOMBIE guns in .50 cal and .22lr.... So do whatever you need. .22lr is cheap and consistent but is not totally FATAL in just one shot, but when you get into the FATAL in one shot ammo, you also have to deal with when you miss and who is behind the next 10 walls and who else you may hurt if you overshoot etc...

Currently I have tons of 9mm ammo I load myself and that's my go to for if the shlt hits the fan.... But I have a .460 Magnum with around 100 rounds that can shoot flat at 250 yards and kill any big game on this planet at that distance.... It's not an everyday shooter, but if I need to take down a dinosaur or a car engine block, that's what I'm grabbing...

I also always have around 300 rounds of 12gauge shotgun shells.... Mainly for clay pigeons, but if you want to spray a groups of non-zombies real quick to get a message across, that is the best stuff!

All in all... shoot everything, pick what you are comfortable with and buy up on THAT
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    the more people buy weapons and stock up on ammo and get trigger happy... the more shootings we can expect to see... and then more people will buy up weapons and stock up on ammo, ad infinitum. i havent heard of any action to remove guns from the hands of american citizens... 300 millions guns and counting last i read.
    one of my favorite quotes
    The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Krieger:
    the more people buy weapons and stock up on ammo and get trigger happy... the more shootings we can expect to see... and then more people will buy up weapons and stock up on ammo, ad infinitum. i havent heard of any action to remove guns from the hands of american citizens... 300 millions guns and counting last i read.
    I'm no economist but I will disagree with you here.
    For one, the people that buy and stock up on ammo are doing it for self defense, they are rarely the ones that go out looking for targets or things to shoot at unless the end of days does come and then it's going out hunting for food.

You might see more shootings form home invasions or self defense but those tend to be justified. But the man in Wisconsin 30 minutes away from my home that shot up the Sikh temple wasn't stockpiling for the end of days, he was a lunatic that snapped.

My stance is I have a TON to lose at the hands of others so I abide by the law, and I will protect myself from those that have nothing to lose that do not care for the law.
  • PadronPetePadronPete Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 73
    Lasabar:
    Krieger:
    I'm no economist but I will disagree with you here.
    For one, the people that buy and stock up on ammo are doing it for self defense, they are rarely the ones that go out looking for targets or things to shoot at unless the end of days does come and then it's going out hunting for food.

You might see more shootings form home invasions or self defense but those tend to be justified. But the man in Wisconsin 30 minutes away from my home that shot up the Sikh temple wasn't stockpiling for the end of days, he was a lunatic that snapped.

My stance is I have a TON to lose at the hands of others so I abide by the law, and I will protect myself from those that have nothing to lose that do not care for the law.
    Agree 100%, thank you for this excellent post my friend.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Lee.mcglynn:
    One name comes to mind...Hornady!!!! Best ammo ever!!!! Consistent and good distance with plenty of power behind it
    I'm only familiar with their 50 cal muzzle-loader ammo, and it's all I use in said rifle. Very precise, at 80-90 yards, iron sights, free-handed I can put 6 rounds in succession in a 3 inch circle. Knocks a deer down, no questions like "did I hit it?". Good stuff, in my opinion.
    srry to bring up an old thread, but i wanted to tell what ive decided on. 9mm Luger Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 grain JHP Hollow point 9BP ive done a lot of research, and this is what ill be stocking up on. i can get 1000 rounds for under 300 dollars, thats cheap enough to even practice with. but for my every day carry i still use federal hydra shok 124 grain.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Just make sure you know the laws, some states it is illegal to use Hydras for carry ammo.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    I like the Winchester White Box bulk ammo from Wally World. Cheap and works good for practice. It will also do the job on any zombie. I would rather have 1,000 rounds of WWB than 100 rounds of the expensive hollow points. They all do the same job.