Home General Discussion

Buying a new Humi. Your input please

VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
I am looking at a Humi from the "Imperfect" section. Anyone have any experience with the "Scratch and Nicks" type humidors. Its a competitor site so I dont want to post prices or links.

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    I am assuming it is a site with humidors that are cheap. If so, I just got one from their imperfects...and I can't find any marks or anything.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    They are pretty good buys. Most of the time, the imperfection is a tiny dent or scratch or blemish on the humi.
    Most the time, it's cosmetic. If it is functional, it will say upfront. Like a hinge or something like that. But I've never got a functional problem with any that I've bought.
    Pretty sure I know what site. And if it is the site I am thinking of, I've bought quite a few from them.
    I know, Why do I buy so many humis. Because I have a hard time passing them up. How else do you think I can send them out and not miss them. LOL!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    My Johnny-O! dedicated humidor is an imperfect from a cheap site and the imperfection is that it was engraved. Nice 150 humidor that works just fine. No nicks or scratches or dings, just a nice tasteful Fire Fighter logo etched into the lid.
  • Darth VaderDarth Vader Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 219
    bandyt09:
    My Johnny-O! dedicated humidor is an imperfect from a cheap site and the imperfection is that it was engraved. Nice 150 humidor that works just fine. No nicks or scratches or dings, just a nice tasteful Fire Fighter logo etched into the lid.
    Almost to 3k there pal.....
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Just popped on one. $47 shipped for a 100ct. Now to fill'er up!!!!
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    bandyt09:
    MMMMM Johnny O... need me some..
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    JHewey:
    bandyt09:
    MMMMM Johnny O... need me some..
    Tell me about it.... Mine are resting... I've got to buy a wineador first
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Congrats on the new humi!!!!
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,922
    Pete is that the babies humidor for when he turns 18 and has some of the best aged sticks to smoke. I bought a 3 draw humidor and it is working beautiful. No complains about ordering from that site. just do it
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    Sometimes the humidors don't come with a tray or dividers, or humidifier...etc and are call "imperfect". Buddy got a humidor to put in his locker at work, and it seemed fine, didn't come with a divider though.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    FWIW - I've purchased 3 humidors that were pretty "cheap" - 2 were new and 1 was imperfect.

They all work well and I have no major complaints, but the humis have needed some adjustments/modifications - because I've noticed they leak humidity more than I'd like, and the seals have become "looser" over time. But these were all small problems that a little caulk/wood glue/weather stripping easily fixed.

And as far as the "imperfect" goes - the 1 I bought had a scratch/crack in the exterior wood, the locking mechanism on the lid does not work, and the corner joints of the SC were not flush with one another. But like I said before, a little wood glue and some caulking fixed the problems.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i will not buy more wood humidors. plastic is the way to go for me. but the ones i did buy that were scratch and dent from that site were great. i never found the scratch or dent.
    kuzi16:
    i will not buy more wood humidors. plastic is the way to go for me. but the ones i did buy that were scratch and dent from that site were great. i never found the scratch or dent.

I did consider a cooler. My basement is a 130 year old field stone foundation. It doesnt leak a drop but it get HUMID. I left a wooden humi down there for a week (One I wasnt using at the time) and it molded up pretty bad. I dont want to keep anything down there if I dont have to. I just dont have room to store a cooler upstairs where it would be cool enough.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    There's just something about a nice looking humi. Especially a full one. Nothing against coolers but they just don't look as good in the living room.
    Rhamlin:
    There's just something about a nice looking humi. Especially a full one. Nothing against coolers but they just don't look as good in the living room.
    YUP!
    I keep a few cigars in one of my desktop humis on my desk.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Vision:
    kuzi16:

I did consider a cooler. My basement is a 130 year old field stone foundation. It doesnt leak a drop but it get HUMID. I left a wooden humi down there for a week (One I wasnt using at the time) and it molded up pretty bad. I dont want to keep anything down there if I dont have to. I just dont have room to store a cooler upstairs where it would be cool enough.
    understandable.
    Rhamlin:
    i keep my plastic out of view. but it holds RH so amazingly well.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kuzi16:
    U need cabinets, that's the way to go.
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

I was looking at the Mini Tower 1000. Thats just way to much space to fill.
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

Dangerous words on this board.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I just went all out bro image
    ^^^
    yeah man! When I win the lottery, I'll be working on something like that. LOL!
    Or better yet, I'll just buy a B&M. ROFL!
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

You say that now...just give it time and you'll change your mind.
    catfishbluezz:
    I just went all out bro image

How else would you store Cigars for the A-TEAM!
    jthanatos:
    Vision:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

Dangerous words on this board.

Yup. Thats why the 100 looked better. I buy less when they get filled.
    0patience:
    ^^^
    You are thinking too small. Make an offer on Cuba.
    jthanatos:
    0patience:
    ^^^
    You are thinking too small. Make an offer on Cuba.

You might get it cheap......