Home Non Cigar Related

Scotch??

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Rail Jockey:
    This bottle was great. But for some reason it didn't last too long. Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Going to break this one open tonight. We will see. It will be hard to beat that 17 year old double wood, but damn, they are proud of that stuff.
    I really like the 17 doublewood. Almost through my second bottle of the stuff. Probably my second favorite Balvenie, after the Tun 1401.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    I got nosing glasses. I disagree with the notion that scotch tastes better with them, but I can easily say I enjoy it more. Being able to properly nose and savor each drop of it is truly THE way to enjoy scotch.

Ironically, I'm finding that I don't really enjoy smoking cigars with GOOD scotch. I like my cheapo blends on the rocks with a stogie, don't get me wrong. But if I pay $75 or more for a bottle of soemthing, I want to taste it and only it. The cigars overpower a good scotch and kinda take away some of the nuances for me. anyone agree or am I crazy?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Big T smokes:
    I got nosing glasses. I disagree with the notion that scotch tastes better with them, but I can easily say I enjoy it more. Being able to properly nose and savor each drop of it is truly THE way to enjoy scotch.

Ironically, I'm finding that I don't really enjoy smoking cigars with GOOD scotch. I like my cheapo blends on the rocks with a stogie, don't get me wrong. But if I pay $75 or more for a bottle of soemthing, I want to taste it and only it. The cigars overpower a good scotch and kinda take away some of the nuances for me. anyone agree or am I crazy?
    Did you get the Glencairn glasses? I am a fan them, though I will admit I only tend to bring them out for initial tasting or for doing comparisons. After that, I almost always just use a standard rocks glass or gill glass.

I agree to a point on drinking, or smoking, something by itself. If it is the first time I have had a particular whisky, I want to taste it all, see what is there. Same with a cigar. But after the first time or two? I will pair things I enjoy. Whisky and cigars are my relaxation. I don't want to 'work' to enjoy them. I want to have them as I like, to enjoy how they mingle, to enjoy the company I have them with.

Just remember, the best way to have whisky is the way you enjoy it. Some love it pure, no water (or just a drop or two from the same spring the distillery sources), no ice, room temp, perfect glasses, and everything. Others want it in a cocktail, or buried in coke, or opened up with a big water splash, or chilled below freezing. Neither of these people is enjoying it the 'wrong way'. In my opinion, if you are drinking whisky, you are doing it right.

So, I guess my point to this off topic rant is "Welcome to the world of Scotch Big T. It is awesome that you have found so much you like. If you ever are in my area, the dram is on me." :D
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    jthanatos:
    Rail Jockey:
    This bottle was great. But for some reason it didn't last too long. Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Going to break this one open tonight. We will see. It will be hard to beat that 17 year old double wood, but damn, they are proud of that stuff.
    I really like the 17 doublewood. Almost through my second bottle of the stuff. Probably my second favorite Balvenie, after the Tun 1401.
    They never last long JT, nice taste though. I like mine with just my frozen marble stones, not a big fan of ice or mixing it, I agree with u I wanna taste it, and some smokes over power the scotch. But if it's a cheaper blended 1 I don't mind smoking with it.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    Glock1975:
    I agree with u I wanna taste it, and some smokes over power the scotch. But if it's a cheaper blended 1 I don't mind smoking with it.
    I'm with you 100%. I got "into" scotch because I like whiskey on the rocks with a stogie. So Jameson, Tully eventually i threw in some Dewar's and Johnny Red. These are wonderful drinks on the rocks but thankfully that's now graduated into me enjoying scotch in it's own right. And I like to taste it for what it is. The good stuff anyway,.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Gotta bump this thread. Been talking with Rail Jockey and we're both big Balvenie fans. Thinking I may buy a bottle of the 17 Year Doublewood. They never seem to last long. May get some JW Gold for mixing too.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Scotch and cigars!. I'll leave it at that.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    This is where being Canadian can suck! I can get great cigars (at 4X the US price) and I can get ok Scotch (again, at 4X the US prices), and then the anti-smoking laws are so strict that I can't enjoy a cigar anywhere except my back yard (which they plan to ban ANY public smoking, even if it's your own yard but the smoke drifts out into the public street). So when I do get out into the woods for camping/fishing I bring my cigars and the best Scotch I can afford and I enjoy the hell out of both!

For now, I get no complaints from my neighbours when I smoke in my garage, but it's not the same as being outdoors and getting some fresh air.

I do find that some cigars don't stand up to Scotch and vice versa. I tried brandy with a cigar, but for me, that does not go well with a cigar of any strength.

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Big T smokes:

I love my Glencairn but I also got a set of Ardbeg glasses that I won last year at Ardbeg Day and they are my favorite. the nosing ability is just awesome. In regard to cigars, if you drink Highland malts, I would understand. I drink Islay malts and I find they pair well with a nice medium body spicy / savory smoke
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    So I was hangin out in the liquor store/bar yesterday evening and tried a couple of new to me scotches. The first was a Glenfiddich 18, which there wasn't enough in the bottle for a full drink and the owner just gave it to me for free. Absolutely loved it, had it neat. For his generosity, I figured I better pay full price for another nice glass. So I went with a Glenmorangie 12 Lasanta. I had this with just a couple of ice cubes and it actually got better as the ice melted. I didn't like the taste up front, nor did I care much for the overbearing sherry flavors. I've yet to have a Glenmorangie that I've liked, however, I've never had a Glenfiddich that I didn't like.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    speyside is great.. not sure if that was said or not.
  • armaes8armaes8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 279
    Depends, just like stogies. Smokey, peaty, super smooth. I think the best bang for your buck and something to ease into would be REDBREAST or KILLBEGGAN, both are Irish, and super smooth. I used to work at a Whiskey/Scotch bar where we had 260 bottles to choose from. I've had everyone you can imagine. I prefer Johnny Black on the rocks as my go-to. But now they have the Johnny double Black as a small release. its a solid choice. McCallan 10yr fine oak is a good one. If you can find Glenmorangie PORTWOOD finish it is stellar. All of these bottles are anywhere from 60-85 bucks and a glass shouldn't be more than 12$ Enjoy. I would like to hear what you get.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    We almost finished my Balvenie 21 portwood at the Socal herf. Tastes so damn good neat with every habano I've thrown at it. Seeing this makes me want to try the 12, 15, and 17's. definitely my favorite brand. I just don't know where to go from here trying different brands.
    pelirrojo:
    So I was hangin out in the liquor store/bar yesterday evening and tried a couple of new to me scotches. The first was a Glenfiddich 18, which there wasn't enough in the bottle for a full drink and the owner just gave it to me for free. Absolutely loved it, had it neat. For his generosity, I figured I better pay full price for another nice glass. So I went with a Glenmorangie 12 Lasanta. I had this with just a couple of ice cubes and it actually got better as the ice melted. I didn't like the taste up front, nor did I care much for the overbearing sherry flavors. I've yet to have a Glenmorangie that I've liked, however, I've never had a Glenfiddich that I didn't like.
    I could drink Glenfiddich if there's nothing I want because it's better than most blended that a bar has in stock. I agree on the Lasanta. I'm not a Sherry Cask fan either. The Nectar d'Or is also just OK
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    james40:
    We almost finished my Balvenie 21 portwood at the Socal herf. Tastes so damn good neat with every habano I've thrown at it. Seeing this makes me want to try the 12, 15, and 17's. definitely my favorite brand. I just don't know where to go from here trying different brands.
    I need to attend one of these SoCal Herfs one of these days
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    Cardhu 12 year old right out of the bottle.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Just went to a Scotch tasting at one of my local liquor stores today. Tried the Glenfarclas 17, 21 and 25 and was impressed with all. 17 was the weakest, 21 had lots of character and 25 was pretty straight forward but buttery smooth. Laphroaig 18 was pretty impressive with quite a bit of sweetness that really balanced out the smoke and peat. Glenmorangie Elanta (this year's limited release - a 19 year old in new American Ozark Oak) was one of my favorite new releases - hints of citrus and cereal grain that I'd expect from a younger scotch with heavy tannins and a hearty dose of vanilla from the fresh barrel.

Aside from that, most of the stuff on the tables was stuff I'd already tried. Also got to try the Dewar's new Highlander Honey. I'll preface this with: I was reluctant to try this as I expected it to be syrupy, sickly sweet and artificial tasting but I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The rep knows me well and knows I can be a complete d!ck when I don't like something - way too honest and he was pretty surprised at how I really had nothing bad to say. Not an every day but a nice, slightly sweet sipper or great mixer.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    A good, cheap single malt that I discovered lately is the Old Pulteney 12 yr. For around 35-40 for a 750ml bottle, this is a great mix of salty and fruity flavors for when I don't feel like getting a iodine peat punch in the face from my standard Islays.

Try it out!
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    allsmokedup:
    A good, cheap single malt that I discovered lately is the Old Pulteney 12 yr. For around 35-40 for a 750ml bottle, this is a great mix of salty and fruity flavors for when I don't feel like getting a iodine peat punch in the face from my standard Islays.

Try it out!
    I had read some pretty positive reviews on the scotch so when I found a deal too good to pass up (27.00 750ml @ trader joes) I had to jump. I agree, it's really pretty good. I always try neat and then with a little water and the water (as in most cases) really opens this up.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    wow, that's a fantastic deal! For that price, I'd probably buy a cask.
    IMO, best single malt scotch under 40.
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked at the price. They had several more and I should have grabbed them but my bride was watching and I'd just dropped another 50.00 on cigars.....priorities. If you're interested, let me know. I can probably grab another one for you.
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    We just recently had a tasting at our cigar lounge. Macallen brought 10 12 and an 18. Damn if I don,t have expensive taste, the 18 was amazing and really really smooth. highland Park 12 15 and 18 were presented and I had to go with the 12 only because I,m not a fan of the peaty tast and it seemed to get stronger as it aged. Over all with scotch I am a fan of the Spyside region. They appear to make the smother buttery scotches. Another expensive habit .
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    I had a few glasses of Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask Tuesday evening. I was quite disappointed to see the pricetag on the can. Man that stuff was good.
    pelirrojo:
    I had a few glasses of Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask Tuesday evening. I was quite disappointed to see the pricetag on the can. Man that stuff was good.
    It's certainly unlike any other single malt out there. very spiced like rum. It was my first bottle purchase
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I'm looking for suggestions for a scotch to celebrate my impending (assuming the thesis is approved) graduation from grad school. I have already selected the cigar, Davidoff Year of the Snake, and now am looking for the right scotch or whisky to go with it. I'm thinking about $200 or less. I have a Glenlivet French Oak 15-yr that I really like, and my favorite so far has been the Bushmills single malt 16-year.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Got a package from my son yesterday, opened it up and there was a bottle of "The Balvenie" single barrel, 15 years old. Absolutely the richest scotch I've ever had. Smooth, lightly sweet background, flavors of oak, sherry. Very distinctive.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    i had some macallan 18 year old the other day, and damn was it good.....had a friend selling a few bottles for abou 60 less than in the stores....i still may get a bottle of that. if you have never tried it, you should.
    perkinke:
    I'm looking for suggestions for a scotch to celebrate my impending (assuming the thesis is approved) graduation from grad school. I have already selected the cigar, Davidoff Year of the Snake, and now am looking for the right scotch or whisky to go with it. I'm thinking about $200 or less. I have a Glenlivet French Oak 15-yr that I really like, and my favorite so far has been the Bushmills single malt 16-year.
    Ardbeg Correyvrecken is a nice malt. I also like Lagavulin quite a bit. If you are looking at blended at all, Johnnie Walker Blue Label is $200 a bottle and very nice.
  • armaes8armaes8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 279
    oh yeah if you can get your hands some Johnny Double Black it is ultra smooth. If you like Irish can never go wrong with REDBREAST. I used to work at a scotch bar we had over 300 different ones. Ive just about everyone you can think of high and low end prices. The 2 i mentioned are reasonable in price and something you can drink everyday.
    Anyone feel free to PM me with specifics on any bottle.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Amos Umwhat:
    Got a package from my son yesterday, opened it up and there was a bottle of "The Balvenie" single barrel, 15 years old. Absolutely the richest scotch I've ever had. Smooth, lightly sweet background, flavors of oak, sherry. Very distinctive.
    been needing to try stuff from them.