Home General Discussion

good firsts?

RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 248
I don't know much about cigar smoking for sorry for the misused terms... What are good cigars to start off with? and what about the shapes? or types? Do different lengths or widths taste better or worse? Any input would be much appreciated as I'm looking to put in an order within the next few days. :D

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    RobIsSweet:
    I don't know much about cigar smoking for sorry for the misused terms... What are good cigars to start off with? and what about the shapes? or types? Do different lengths or widths taste better or worse? Any input would be much appreciated as I'm looking to put in an order within the next few days. :D
    Everything is subjective. The thing is, that it is the same as with food. What you like, may not be what someone else likes and visa versa.
    So since I love cameroons, doesn't mean that you will. And since I have a preference for Robustos, doesn't mean you will.

For you, that will mean you will have to try things to see what you like and what you don't like. Keeping notes, mental or other, that will let you know which direction to go in.

And then to complicate things even worse, as your tastes develop, they will change. Making it even harder for you to determine exactly what it is that you like or want.

This may sound odd, but think about what cigars visually appeal to you. Your mind often has a way of influencing you to what it thinks is good. If you look at a bunch of different foods, usually you like the ones you find visually appealing.

Different lengths and shapes have different tastes and are they better or worse is dependent on who is making that call.

As for what to start out with, what do you currently like? That may give us some idea of which direction you are leaning.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Given what Tony already mentioned, I'll pass along the best nugget of advice that I wish I'd been told when getting into cigars...don't jump right into buying boxes, buy singles, five packs, samplers...try everything that you find interesting and really zero in on your tastes and preferences. Once you've gotten to that point, and by all rights it should take a while, then start thinking about what you would want in box quantities. So many things are subjective, but that is one piece of advice that I think holds true for all cigar smokers. I for one would've saved a lot of money over the years had I followed that one bit of advice, or I should say had someone opened my eyes.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    The Avo take 5 pack is awesome.... Padron 2000, my father no 1, ruination, black market, tatauje Havana nobles, mowpa, Avo classic, 5V classic, undercrown...all come to mind lol. Actually, the 2011 ccom awards samplers are great starters too.
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    Samplers are a great way to start exploring cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i would aim for mild to medium at first. once you feel good with that then push into stronger smokes. its not only a common progression, but it also will not "scare you off"
    nothing like just getting your feet wet in a hobby and you accidentally have a bad experience that makes you want to stop.

some of the super strong cigars out there have potential to put a new guy down.