Home General Discussion

Glass top humidor seal / seasoning question

Lift603Lift603 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 253
With all the great welcoming bombs aimed at me, my starter humidor is almost filled to capacity. (no complaints at all). So it is time to look into a bigger humidor. I was thinking of getting a glass top humidor as I find them to be more appealing. My question is is there any problems with the seal of a glass top humidor? And also I've read three different ways to season the humidor. Wiping the cedar down, shot glass with water or the boveda season packs. What do you all think is the best way to properly season the humidor? This is what I am looking into getting. image

Comments

• WaterDemonWaterDemon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I recently just got a glasstop humidor, similar to the one you have up there^ just for my JdN cigars. It took a bit longer to get the humidity right, about 4days before I stashed my cigars in it. After that I closed it for a few days without opening it, keeping an eye on the humidity. It's now sitting about 65-66%RH and hasn't budge since. I use a 4oz gel cup for the device, I wiped it down and did the shot glass when it was seasoning.
  • interpiminterpim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    I have a glass top humi and it seals up fine.
    as far as seasoning goes, I did the damp sponge on the wood, and dropped in 1/2 pound of charged beads. After a few days it stabilized and has been rock steady since.
  • Lift603Lift603 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 253
    So it is safe to use the damp sponge method? I've read it could possibly warp the wood or is that if you add too much moisture? Also after you damping the wood and such what rh are you looking for to know it is stabilized?
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    LIGHTLY wipe down the humi. You aren't looking to soak it. LOL!
    The RH. Different people like different things. Personally, I look to get 65-68%. But that's just me.
    As for the glass tops. If the glass moves in the top, then worry about leakage. If it don't, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've never had any problems with the ones I've had/have.
  • interpiminterpim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    with the damp sponge, your not supposed to soak the wood...
    just dab it around all of the wood inside, and you should be fine.
    The RH you are looking for is basically whatever your beads or humidification method is aimed at.
    I use 70% beads, so when I was getting 70% for a couple days in a row, i knew that it was stable...
    Opening the humidor once a day to basically dump the ambient humidity, to see how quickly it recovers is a good measure as well.
    -Robert
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    The only thing I can add and stress on to the other great advice given so far is, do not use the humidification foam flower sponge that comes with the humidor. Those things are designed to release humidity down and since it's a glass top box there is no place to mount it so the humidity can fall and cover evenly. If you haven't already, check into getting some beads or a jar of cigar gel.
  • Lift603Lift603 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 253
    Thank you all for the help!
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    what helps me in general regarding cigar "how tos" is honestly youtube. shows you exactly how to do things. Sight and sound is a winner for me.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    jliu:
    what helps me in general regarding cigar "how tos" is honestly youtube. shows you exactly how to do things. Sight and sound is a winner for me.
    Like books with them there pictures and pretty colors, I reckin
  • nickiamnickiam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 603
    I have a glass top kind of like that one and have had no issues with sealing. I seasoned mine with two 84% Boveda packs and let it sit for about a week with a hygro in it. once it got up to 73 i took the 84's out and am now rocking it with two 72 bovedas which are keeping it at about 71.