Home General Discussion

Let's play "Guess the AJF Overrun!"

jswaykosjswaykos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
Got mine in today. Best guess on size is 4x40. Somewhat dark wrapper, about the same shade as the MOWPA. Maybe a tad lighter, but the pic makes them appear even lighter than they actually are. Round, i.e. not a box press. Thoughts? image

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I've yet to order any of these, but it certainly seems a worthwhile endeavor. I shall try to join the coversation soon. Or, next paycheck! :)
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    The BIC is 3" long, so that looks more like 5". Could be a fresh-rolled (5" - 42). One puff and I could answer that. Take a pic unwrapped. They look a bit light to be a MOWPA. Just a guess.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    That looks like a mini bic to me, so his estimate of size is probably correct. Are these the petite coronas? I too ordered the petite coronas and have no earthly idea what they are. They do look like the same size and color to me. Whatever they are, they are quite tasty.
  • jswaykosjswaykos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    It's a mini bic, and I also got my box of Ramon Buesos robustos in today (5") and side by side, these AJF Overruns are an inch shorter. I might be a little off on the rg but not by much... could be 42rg. Couple pics: imageimage
    beatnic:
    The BIC is 3" long, so that looks more like 5". Could be a fresh-rolled (5" - 42). One puff and I could answer that. Take a pic unwrapped. They look a bit light to be a MOWPA. Just a guess.
    ------ My thoughts are that they are a shade or two lighter than MOWPAs. The pics above this post are fairly accurate as far as color.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jswaykos:
    beatnic:
    ------ My thoughts are that they are a shade or two lighter than MOWPAs. The pics above this post are fairly accurate as far as color.
    They very well could be a fresh-rolled, color looks right but AJ has a lot of coronas in that same size.

If you have an iDevice, I'd recommend downloading the free app "Cigar Rings" to figure out the exact ring gauge size.
    And if you want to investigate other AJ blends, here's a list of them, Wikipedia article so it may be missing some blends, but idk...
    only way to know for sure is to smoke it....
    jgibv:
    jswaykos:
    beatnic:
    They very well could be a fresh-rolled, color looks right but AJ has a lot of coronas in that same size.

If you have an iDevice, I'd recommend downloading the free app "Cigar Rings" to figure out the exact ring gauge size.
    And if you want to investigate other AJ blends, here's a list of them, Wikipedia article so it may be missing some blends, but idk...
    Again, it's a mini bic. The cigar ordered was a Petite Corona and I'm 100% sure it's 4" long. Were the Fresh Rolled available in that size?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jswaykos:
    jgibv:
    jswaykos:
    beatnic:

Again, it's a mini bic. The cigar ordered was a Petite Corona and I'm 100% sure it's 4" long. Were the Fresh Rolled available in that size?
    I think the AJ Fresh rolled corona is a 5x42...but it's hard to say for sure because there's a lot of AJ blends/sizes that are available either in samplers or special orders that aren't listed on the website.
    Sorry bro, I know that doesn't really help answer your question.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,520
    No fresh rolled in that size that I'm aware of. I think it is probably the same ring gauge as the fresh rolled coronas (42) but it's either 3.75 or 4 inches long. Too short to be a fresh rolled, and doesn't really taste anything like a fresh rolled.
    jgibv:
    jswaykos:
    jgibv:
    jswaykos:
    beatnic:

I think the AJ Fresh rolled corona is a 5x42...but it's hard to say for sure because there's a lot of AJ blends/sizes that are available either in samplers or special orders that aren't listed on the website.
    Sorry bro, I know that doesn't really help answer your question.
    Ha, no worries! As long as it tastes good I've got no problems with it. The suspicious, cynical side of me thinks that these aren't really "overruns" of anything, but rather they are what they are: the A.J. Fernandez Overrun. So many sizes being sent out that don't match up to ANYTHING else available. Test blends/sizes? Rejects? Made with 'left over' tobaccos? Who knows.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    It is possible that AJ is experimenting with different vitola and has the overruns rolled in those vitola to let the tercadors practice.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    not a MoWPA. those all have pigtails.

i would suspect that it is Overrun Tobacco.

just knowing how the raw bulk tobacco market works it would not surprise me at all. sometimes a factory has to make a deal to get a leaf they want that includes buying leaves they dont need.
    kuzi16:
    not a MoWPA. those all have pigtails.

i would suspect that it is Overrun Tobacco.

just knowing how the raw bulk tobacco market works it would not surprise me at all. sometimes a factory has to make a deal to get a leaf they want that includes buying leaves they dont need.
    ----- That is 100% what I suspect these are. Not that that makes them 'bad' but they're not really overruns of a specific cigar, they're overruns of tobaccos they don't use/need. Looks and smells good, eager to light one up. I'm letting them settle at least a week in the humidor, since weather around the country has been so crazy. These could use a little down time, I'm sure.
  • seagarloverseagarlover Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 437
    Have U had a chance to smoke one up yet, when U do please let us know what U think, and where did U purchase if not from C.COM these are the right size for what I'm looking for. thanks.
    seagarlover:
    Have U had a chance to smoke one up yet, when U do please let us know what U think, and where did U purchase if not from C.COM these are the right size for what I'm looking for. thanks.
    Got 'em here. The 'problem' - aka: reason they're so cheap -is that the bundle you receive may be different than the bundle I received. Haven't smoked one yet, I'll light one up next weekend, perhaps.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Sorry to bump old threads (I tend not to like it), but I picked up a toro and since they are probably extra tobacco, are these blended or what? Are they almost like a side project reject?
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I just picked up a bundle of the Torpedoes, 5 X 54. The wrapper is identical in color to the Man o War, although I'm not aware of the MOW in that size. The overrun tobacco idea had occurred to me, but I didn't know if that was something that was done.
    They look and smell good, though. I'm looking forward to them. The torpedo choice was a mistake, I thought I'd ordered Toros, but checked and sure enough, my fault.