Home General Discussion

What instant in time turned us all into cigar smokers?

RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
For me it was when my brother offered me A cigar he had laying around in his vehicle.
Not the best cigar by far but it took hold of my senses and converted me.
The rest as they say is simply history.

I know this topic may have already been discussed but sometimes it is nice to relive old memories.

Comments

• jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    When I had my first padron 1964 principe maduro. Til this day, one of my favorite cigars. I roached that thing freezing my fingers off during the winter. After that, I went inside and got some hot cocoa and a snuggie
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    My real dad was a military man. Cigars were a part of life. Every get together, every holiday was surrounded by military and cigars when I was younger. I would partake of them when was given a chance.

My step father was an Alaskan fisherman and always had a meerschaum pipe in the wheel house.
    It was rarely ever not lit or he was fiddling with it. Occasionally, he would have a box of cigars sent up from Seattle and between crab pots or runs back to port, we'd smoke up the wheel house with cigar and pipe tobacco smoke. Greenhorns usually stayed away from the wheel house then. LOL!

My step dad passed a few years back. There are still times that I will smell pipe tobacco smoke that it reminds me of some of those times sitting in that wheel house with winter weather crashing in and his calmness to all of it and the conversations.
    Before he passed, he gave me all his pipes and tobaccos stuff. I still have all of it and it will go to my boys.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    some backwoods and parodies after a succesful deer hunt with the boys when we were teenagers.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    0patience:
    My real dad was a military man. Cigars were a part of life. Every get together, every holiday was surrounded by military and cigars when I was younger. I would partake of them when was given a chance.

My step father was an Alaskan fisherman and always had a meerschaum pipe in the wheel house.
    It was rarely ever not lit or he was fiddling with it. Occasionally, he would have a box of cigars sent up from Seattle and between crab pots or runs back to port, we'd smoke up the wheel house with cigar and pipe tobacco smoke. Greenhorns usually stayed away from the wheel house then. LOL!

My step dad passed a few years back. There are still times that I will smell pipe tobacco smoke that it reminds me of some of those times sitting in that wheel house with winter weather crashing in and his calmness to all of it and the conversations.
    Before he passed, he gave me all his pipes and tobaccos stuff. I still have all of it and it will go to my boys.

These are the memories that keep us connected to our past.
    Fine telling my man.
    0patience:

awesome story Tony Touch. very cool. Dungeoness crab for dinner it is
  • OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Well, I was with my brother in law, and other sister's boyfriend (basically my brothers) and we had just come back from a dance recital or something. They went out to smoke and I decided to join them.
  • OldBlueEyes2012OldBlueEyes2012 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    0patience:

It sounds like you had two very good influences in your life.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    when my wife and i were first dating.we spent alot of holidays at her grandparents.her grandpa smoked dutch masters and seemed so casual and relaxing i was hooked
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    A friendly poker game!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Business trip with a bunch of drunks....needed something to pass the time, a padron is what got me started
  • Lift603Lift603 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 253
    My girlfriend's father would have his buddies over every Saturday and Sunday night for a cigar. I couldn't wait to be asked to join them and when I finally was it was nice to bond with the guys especially her dad. Romeo y Juileta is what got it all started. Then it was an every weekend thing which helped me kick my 6 year habit of smoking cigarettes!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    My last night in Switzerland studying abroad, one of my professors gave me a CC that he didn't want to take back to the States. It was simply amazing.
    SleevePlz:
    My last night in Switzerland studying abroad, one of my professors gave me a CC that he didn't want to take back to the States. It was simply amazing.
    So amazing that you shafted yourself?
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    jliu:
    SleevePlz:
    So amazing that you shafted yourself?
    Oh damn, I actually saw that one coming. I've been hanging around this forum way too long. LOL!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    College Roomate, brought a cuban cigar home from a vacation... I kept in in a beer mug on my dresser for many months, then when I went to smoke it it was falling apart and worthless. He smoked a cigar from a friend over a weekend and brought two "Kahlua" cigars home for us. I liked it, but just tabled it for some months until I discovered a coworker was a cigar rep and he helped me buy my first humi, and first 10 cigars.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    An art school class mate turned me onto cigars then took me to Ybor City so I could pick up a custom rolled stick from an old Cuban immigrant. Can't verify it was an ISOM, but I can't say that it wasn't... Been lighting up ever since.
  • Cazzie13Cazzie13 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    I think i was 17 or 18 and my dad had just started getting into the cigar craze, he was on the couch smoking a cigar and watching a yankee game, he asked if I wanted to try one and that was pretty much it..I'm sure I have watched a thousand yankee games with my dad but that is one of the few that sticks out from all the memories. He doesn't smoke em anymore which is good because when he gets them as gifts they come straight to me.