Home General Discussion

Hello from Richmond Va

akakirbyakakirby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Dan I'm from Richmond, Va and just recently started into the Cigar hobby. I am in the process of picking a humidor (100-150 ct) and am trying to learn as much as possible!!

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Hey Dan, welcome to the brotherhood. I myself am still new, but I can assure you this board is full of people that are both nice and incredibly knowledgeable. You cannot find another resource as good as this anywhere, that's basically a promise.

Many people will give you this advice, and it's a great idea to heed it; if you're really going to start the hobby, go for a 200-300 count humi. I bought a 120 count, and it filled within a month or so. It's surprising how quickly you amass good sticks, especially here where trading is abound.

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Welcome aboard, Dan! We have a welcoming thread that you might want to post in. That's what we consider the 'front door' around here. You'll learn a lot here, and the more time you spend here, the more you get into cigars. I can't say enough about the community, and I hope you enjoy your stay!
  • akakirbyakakirby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Thanks guys, I started wanting to get a 50 ct humi but then decided a 100-150 would be better I am not sure a 200-300 would be in my budget. Also thanks for letting me know about the "front door" first day and I'm already messin up, go figure!!!!
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    welcome aboard!
  • ArgusArgus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12

Welcome Dan.  I'm a noob too with about 3 months and 250 cigars worth of experience.  The folks here are great, and I learned much from them, way before I started to post.  Just like betasynn, my first 120 stick box was full within a month.  If you catch the fever like the rest of us, you'll be needing a much larger humi.  Someone told me in the beginning to forget the desktops and just start working on a walk-in.  I'm starting to think he was right.

Again, welcome.  Any questions at all, feel free to ask.  Unlike other boards, folks here are more than willing to answer the same questions over and over again.  Wink [;)]

David

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Welcome. Don't feel like a 100-150 count is going to be too small. Even if you got a 500 count it would be too small, that's why everyone has tupper-dors and cooler-dors (eh-eh-eh). This place is a great resource and lots of great deals on sticks.
    I guess they really add up, I may start with a desktop (100-150ct) to display and then maybe an overflow coolerdor, that may be the route I go, but money is a factor on humi's and cigars so I am sure I will have to start slow and buy when I can.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    That's how it was with me when I started. Now that I have some extra spending money, it's a challenge to stock them. This is especially true if you're taking advantage of the daily deals here. You start building a collection pretty quick, lol.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Welcome aboard man! Oh another piece of advice, keep some form of log or something on what cigars you smoke, that way if you think you might have had something before, you can always go back to check and see if you liked it or not. And you can also see how your tastes have evolved.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Welcome to our humble little cigar hangout ....enjoy yourself!!!
    Garen B:
    Welcome aboard man! Oh another piece of advice, keep some form of log or something on what cigars you smoke, that way if you think you might have had something before, you can always go back to check and see if you liked it or not. And you can also see how your tastes have evolved.
    I will do that, i have been saving the bands of the ones I have smoked so i can keep track but a log will be good as well.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay! If you haven't already, check out the trades, passes, and bombs threads. Once you meet the min quals, jump in, it is a great way to try new sticks.

On a side note, there sure are alot of people here from VA....
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    It was no time at all that I graduated from a 75 to a 300 stick humi... I found a really decent one for just over $100, not that bad considering the investment you're protecting. I'm in NoVA.
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!