Home Pipes

Pipe Tobacco storage

robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
My first Pipe post! yay

so back in November Wes sent me a small pipe and a bunch of tobacco to try... ochozacho also sent me some Holiday blend and house blend from his local spot (both were AMAZING BTW)... I fired the pipe up about 15 times or so, but haven't messed with it since early January... I left all the tobacco in the original ziplocks and put them all in on tupperware... I never thought to humidify it or anything... is this stuff toast or can it be salvaged? As for the aromatic stuff, do you need to store them apparently or an I just leave then in their individual zip locks like I have? Thanks!

IMG_20120709_155607

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    If it's dried out a bit, you can easily moisten it a bit. Just pour the tobacco onto a plate and cover with a damp paper towel for a little while...check every so often with the pinch test, if you take a pinch of tobacco between your thumb and forefinger and it holds together lightly then falls apart after releasing it then your moisture level is pretty good. Keep in mind that pipe tobacco does better at a much lower rh% than cigars, generally going straight from a tin to a sealable jar is sufficient to store it for a good long time.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Thanks Joe! Yeah, It's basically been in the zip locks the whole time, so I think it should be good... i'm guessing a jar is better for storage than ziplocks... I'm a complete pipe noob... so it;s all pretty foreign to me...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    robbyras:
    Thanks Joe! Yeah, It's basically been in the zip locks the whole time, so I think it should be good... i'm guessing a jar is better for storage than ziplocks... I'm a complete pipe noob... so it;s all pretty foreign to me...
    I'm gonna shoot you a pm in a bit here regarding jars, give me a few mins and check your inbox.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    j0z3r:
    robbyras:
    I'm gonna shoot you a pm in a bit here regarding jars, give me a few mins and check your inbox.
    will do, thanks!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    From what I read it is pretty forgving. As long as you keep it sealed good you can keep it without much maintenance.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    I seriously doubt that the tobacco has even lost moister at this point. I would just get some small mason/ball jars (4 oz. or 8 oz) works great and put it in. If you want to age the tobacco instead of just store it you need to get a vacuum seal on it. There are ways to do that too but for now just getting it into proper storage would be the best thing to do.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Long term aging put the mason jar in the microwave for 2 minutes after washing it. Let sit until you can hold it with a paper towel and not burn your hands. Put the tobacco in 3/4 full and put the lid on. The rubber seal on the lid will heat up and seal beautifully. When the oxygen in the jar is used up the tobacco will start aging.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Guess I'll be picking up a couple cases of jars now lol