Home General Discussion

can you humidifiy inside a box

jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826

i don't have any room for a cooler and i have about 5 boxes i can't fit in my bigger humis.  can i just place some beads inside the partial boxes and know they will be alright till room opens in the humi?

jeep

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    yes and no. i dont trust the seal.
    it will be better than nothing, but not as good as it should be. better make some room quick.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    unless...
    the box was designed to be a humidor as well. a few out there are. usually they are higher end cigar boxes. they will usually say that they can be used as such.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I wouldn't do it unless its a box that is somewhat made for that. The boxes breath so maintains humidity would be tough unless you live in a humid area.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    i live in south florida. so it is more about lowering humidity rather than raising it.  i'll look at some of my older high end boxes and see if they mention anything about using as humidor.  if so i will transfer into those boxes. 
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    You can do it but like Kuzi said you can never trust the seal. You will need to check them more often and add them to the humi's a quickly as possible. I have done it for a couple of weeks with a box 5 Vegas Gold Maduro since they really are a cheap everyday smoke and it worked OK. I think I would have been pretty stressed if it had been some premium sticks, however.
    well sounds like i did the right thing and put the better sticks in the humis and left the everyday smokes in the boxes.  maybe i can bomb every person on the fourm and make some room. haha
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    You can always put the boxes in a big ziplock bag and go that way. But I have the same problem on keeping the humidity down!! So far coolador and wineador are working fine it's my actual humis that are having the issues since wood absorbs The moister
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    i am in the process of building a house and have a trophy room for all my animals.  i was thinking of a nice stand alone humi for the man cave.  so in the mean time i will try the zip lock and correct boxes for the meantime.  thanks for the ideas guys.