Home Non Cigar Related

boots

Comments

• *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    Amos Umwhat:
    the same way I suggest to ignore the advice: "never touch the front brake, it'll throw you over the handlebars" when learning to ride a motorcycle. Some legends never die, no matter how dumb.
    hahahaha. yeah the way some folks avoid the front brake boggles my mind. It must go back to the old BMX days, where you only have a rear brake, but yeah your so right, you get like 3 times the stopping power off the front than you do the back.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    They'll cost you but look at Lucchese and Old Gringo. You might be able to find a steel toe in one of those brands. If this is your first pair of cowboy boots, look at companies like Zappos and Endless to buy from, since they offer free shipping and free return shipping. Plus, their prices are pretty reasonable. Also, remember, they don't fit like sneakers and they shouldn't. They should be a little tight when you first put them on. Honestly, mine were borderline painful the first few times I wore them and now they fit like slippers.
  • KimemKimem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
    I've had a couple pair of Double-H boots (lacers). I've rode my Honda Shadow cruiser and four-legged critters in them. They make steel toe versions and very comfortable. These are work boots so don't try to give them a shine, but still not bad looking. They don't have the high spanish heels (that's why cowboys didn't walk far...) but lower heels. If ya aren't in the saddle, partner, those high heels are best left to the ladies. They're USA made too. Double-H will run $150's to $200+ but they are solid and lasted longer than my Tony Lama's. Try them on as sizes vary considerably with the style. My 2 pennies on the matter.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    You guys are rekindling a desire in me to get a pair of walking around boots. I own a pair of Ariat work boots, they never did get comfortable for me, too narrow for my fat feet...Love my Redwings when it comes to work boots, haven't had a more comfortable boot than those. I'm sure I'll be coming back here when I end up getting a pair of cowboy style boots for normal wear.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    *Petey*:
    Amos Umwhat:
    the same way I suggest to ignore the advice: "never touch the front brake, it'll throw you over the handlebars" when learning to ride a motorcycle. Some legends never die, no matter how dumb.
    hahahaha. yeah the way some folks avoid the front brake boggles my mind. It must go back to the old BMX days, where you only have a rear brake, but yeah your so right, you get like 3 times the stopping power off the front than you do the back.
    I've been told by old time hog riders that front brake phobia is actually a sensible Hardley Ableson strategy, employed for the same reason that they ride in packs in the right lane doing 55 mph or less. It's because the suspension sucks so bad that you will dive over the front, while the brakes themselves suck so bad that if you use them at high speed they'll fade.

After fifty plus years riding countless British, Jap, and German bikes year round and daily, I can aver without doubt the best bike braking system ever made comes on the BMW oilheads. First, you have that yoke in front called the telelever, which prevents (does not lessen but actually makes physically impossible to occur) any front end dive whatsoever. Then you have integrated ABS power brakes. The integrated means if you apply the rear, then a smaller proportion of front is automagically applied, and vise versa if you apply the front. ABS of course means your wheels will never lock. Power means fingertip control. Last, you have what's called a paralever attached to the shaft drive which prevents the rear wheel from trying to squat up under you during acceleration or hop back when braking. The geometry is perfectly controlled and the power is incredible.

True story: Four of us astride two beemers and two Hardleys were returning from an HD factory tour in York PA, winding quickly through Amish country. Because we were riding hard, naturally the two beemers led. Came round a curve, over a hill, there was a tractor pulling a trailer full of hay out of a farm lane. Of course, both beemers simply clamped down on the brakes. It was not even a panic stop for us. Then I heard tires squealing, peeked in the rear views, and jerked her out of the way to the right. Here came both Hardley riders, teeth clenched, veins standing out on their forearms, fishtailing past us. Had they been in the lead, they would both have eaten hay. This is not an unusual story. Many beemeristas refuse to ride with HDs anywhere but behind because they've been through this.

I mean, as a patriot and a motorcyclist it is embarrassing to me that this country can't make a better motorcycle.

My big beemer bagger, Annie, a BMW R1200CLC, with myself at 15 stone and the RedHead at I hesitate to say how much and all the RedHead's copious ponderous luggage aboard will stop on a dime and give you eight and a half cents change.

Now back to boots. Double H, I tell ya. Kuzi, would I steer you wrong?

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    +1 on the Ariats and Tony Lamas, I have a couple pairs of each, from everyday to dress-up. Very comfortable.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471

so here is what i got. CLICK

thanks for all the help guys!

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    kuzi16:

so here is what i got. CLICK

thanks for all the help guys!

Very nice kuz!!! Hope you enjoy them!!!
  • txpooltxpool Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I've been at a custom bootshop last several years.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    JDH:
    I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Luchesse ostrich boots once - it was like sliding my feet into butter - but the $$$$ made me back off.

I made that 'mistake' with a pair of Lucchese '2000' african elephant skin boots in solid black. I wore the soles out pretty quick from wearing them so much. I need to find a good place to get them re-soled.
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    Take the $$$ you would spend on 1 pair of Ariats or Tony Lamas and get 3 pairs of Justin ropers. 2 black and 1 brown. Keep 1 pair of black polished up and clean for special occasions.
    txpool:
    Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I've been at a custom bootshop last several years.
    what advice would you have given?
    kuzi16:
    txpool:
    what advice would you have given?

Style wise its all personal preferance. Quality wise i would look for a boot with all leather construction.

Most composite soled boots are not repairable. I would also look for a boot made in the USA, most of the best are made in Texas.

The best brands in my opinion are Luchesse, Rios of Mercedes, and Anderson Bean. Or you could buy the best and get Beck Cowboy Boots (Shameless Plug).
    I've got a question for you tx. I'd like to get a pair of boots but don't want to spend Luchesse money on a first pair. I've done some looking around at the brands you recommended and noticed the Horse Power line by AB. What is your take on that line? Obviously they're cheaper, but do they retain the same quality or should they be avoided?
    j0z3r:
    I've got a question for you tx. I'd like to get a pair of boots but don't want to spend Luchesse money on a first pair. I've done some looking around at the brands you recommended and noticed the Horse Power line by AB. What is your take on that line? Obviously they're cheaper, but do they retain the same quality or should they be avoided?
    I have no experience with that line, but I think they would look great on any cowgirl.
    Streater:
    j0z3r:
    I have no experience with that line, but I think they would look great on any cowgirl.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I can definitely see how several of the styles would appeal to women primarily, but likewise there are some that are decidedly un-girly...unless my ignorance of cowboy boots is that bad.
    I apologize, J0z3r. I came across uppity and snotty, which was not my intention. I'm sincerely sorry for offending you.

As far a brands of boots, the best advice that I've been given is just to bite the bullet one Saturday and go out and try a bunch on. Every foot has their own "Brand". Some are Justin, some Tony Lama, some will be Ariat. Every brand has their own individual characteristics that are specific for that particular brand. You will need to find that brand that feels the best on your foot. This is why it is difficult for any of us to give you accurate advice on a particular brand that would best suite your needs.

After finding your brand, you will want to inspect the different styles, and find what type of material the boot is made of. Find a good quality leather or animal skin that is strong and durable, but will soften over age. You do not want a boot made with a cheap material that will stretch out. This is where a lot of people go wrong.

Some people will buy a neat lookin boot, but the material it's made with stretches out, rips, or just won't hold a good shine. Sometimes when a boot falls apart, it's not inferior materials or poor design. It is directly related to a poor fit. An ill-fitting boot will not last no matter how expensive the skin. A good pair of cowboy boots can be worn almost anywhere, weather it's church, court, the deer lease, the ranch, or the beach. They can be worn with just about any attire, but if they do not fit your foot, or the way you walk, they will look cheap and ugly.

I hope this helps. Again, I sincerely apologize for my previous post. After re-reading it, I agree that I came across like a ***.
    j0z3r:

The horsepower by AB are alright I guess. Cheaper material, and I'm not too sure they're not made in Mexico. If you just want something to wear once a month they'd be fine, probably not repairable.

Anderson Bean is owned by Rios of Mercedes. Rios are handmade while AB's are partially handmade.

In the end you usually get what you pay for. If you take care of a good pair of leather boots they should last you several years. They will also be able to be resoled several times.

One more thing, stay away from caymen aligator..terrible leather.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    the only pla ce to buy Boots is Tims Boots. ive had my eyes on these hornback Crocodile Boots for a while....... My next Purchase. I am not a Cowboy boot wearing guy, they are Horibly uncomfortable but these boots are BAD ASS!
    Streater:
    I apologize, J0z3r. I came across uppity and snotty, which was not my intention. I'm sincerely sorry for offending you.

As far a brands of boots, the best advice that I've been given is just to bite the bullet one Saturday and go out and try a bunch on. Every foot has their own "Brand". Some are Justin, some Tony Lama, some will be Ariat. Every brand has their own individual characteristics that are specific for that particular brand. You will need to find that brand that feels the best on your foot. This is why it is difficult for any of us to give you accurate advice on a particular brand that would best suite your needs.

After finding your brand, you will want to inspect the different styles, and find what type of material the boot is made of. Find a good quality leather or animal skin that is strong and durable, but will soften over age. You do not want a boot made with a cheap material that will stretch out. This is where a lot of people go wrong.

Some people will buy a neat lookin boot, but the material it's made with stretches out, rips, or just won't hold a good shine. Sometimes when a boot falls apart, it's not inferior materials or poor design. It is directly related to a poor fit. An ill-fitting boot will not last no matter how expensive the skin. A good pair of cowboy boots can be worn almost anywhere, weather it's church, court, the deer lease, the ranch, or the beach. They can be worn with just about any attire, but if they do not fit your foot, or the way you walk, they will look cheap and ugly.

I hope this helps. Again, I sincerely apologize for my previous post. After re-reading it, I agree that I came across like a ***.
    No need to apologize, I didn't take offense, just wasn't clear on your meaning.
    txpool:
    j0z3r:
    The horsepower by AB are alright I guess. Cheaper material, and I'm not too sure they're not made in Mexico. If you just want something to wear once a month they'd be fine, probably not repairable. Anderson Bean is owned by Rios of Mercedes. Rios are handmade while AB's are partially handmade. In the end you usually get what you pay for. If you take care of a good pair of leather boots they should last you several years. They will also be able to be resoled several times. One more thing, stay away from caymen aligator..terrible leather.
    See that's the kind of stuff I just don't know. Probably better off biting the bullet and getting a good pair. Thanks for the info.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    j0z3r:
    txpool:
    j0z3r:
    The horsepower by AB are alright I guess. Cheaper material, and I'm not too sure they're not made in Mexico. If you just want something to wear once a month they'd be fine, probably not repairable. Anderson Bean is owned by Rios of Mercedes. Rios are handmade while AB's are partially handmade. In the end you usually get what you pay for. If you take care of a good pair of leather boots they should last you several years. They will also be able to be resoled several times. One more thing, stay away from caymen aligator..terrible leather.
    See that's the kind of stuff I just don't know. Probably better off biting the bullet and getting a good pair. Thanks for the info.
    A good pair of boots last a lifetime. You can grab cheap luchesse for $300 and they are worth it for dress, the comfort and feel is unparalleled. My Ariats have caught fire and have puke, beer, mud, blood, and god knows what else on them. After ten years, they still feel like home. I'd like to be buried in them honestly.
    catfishbluezz:
    j0z3r:
    txpool:
    j0z3r:
    A good pair of boots last a lifetime. You can grab cheap luchesse for $300 and they are worth it for dress, the comfort and feel is unparalleled. My Ariats have caught fire and have puke, beer, mud, blood, and god knows what else on them. After ten years, they still feel like home. I'd like to be buried in them honestly.
    I think it's just a natural tendency to want good quality for less. Who wants to spend $300 if they can get comparable for half that? But I've got no problem spending the money on a good pair if it's money well spent and I get what I want. I've bought enough cheap work boots to know what quality is worth.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    bootbarn.com rocks. My Justin work boots should be here tomorrow. Ill let you know how they are.
    they are here:

sweet.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    they are here:

sweet.
    Hey! I've got a pair just like those & I love'em.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Congrats!!! Now what about a cowboy hat?
    kuzi16:
    they are here:

sweet.
    webmost:
    *Petey*:
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've been told by old time hog riders that front brake phobia is actually a sensible Hardley Ableson strategy, employed for the same reason that they ride in packs in the right lane doing 55 mph or less. It's because the suspension sucks so bad that you will dive over the front, while the brakes themselves suck so bad that if you use them at high speed they'll fade.

After fifty plus years riding countless British, Jap, and German bikes year round and daily, I can aver without doubt the best bike braking system ever made comes on the BMW oilheads. First, you have that yoke in front called the telelever, which prevents (does not lessen but actually makes physically impossible to occur) any front end dive whatsoever. Then you have integrated ABS power brakes. The integrated means if you apply the rear, then a smaller proportion of front is automagically applied, and vise versa if you apply the front. ABS of course means your wheels will never lock. Power means fingertip control. Last, you have what's called a paralever attached to the shaft drive which prevents the rear wheel from trying to squat up under you during acceleration or hop back when braking. The geometry is perfectly controlled and the power is incredible.

True story: Four of us astride two beemers and two Hardleys were returning from an HD factory tour in York PA, winding quickly through Amish country. Because we were riding hard, naturally the two beemers led. Came round a curve, over a hill, there was a tractor pulling a trailer full of hay out of a farm lane. Of course, both beemers simply clamped down on the brakes. It was not even a panic stop for us. Then I heard tires squealing, peeked in the rear views, and jerked her out of the way to the right. Here came both Hardley riders, teeth clenched, veins standing out on their forearms, fishtailing past us. Had they been in the lead, they would both have eaten hay. This is not an unusual story. Many beemeristas refuse to ride with HDs anywhere but behind because they've been through this.

I mean, as a patriot and a motorcyclist it is embarrassing to me that this country can't make a better motorcycle.

My big beemer bagger, Annie, a BMW R1200CLC, with myself at 15 stone and the RedHead at I hesitate to say how much and all the RedHead's copious ponderous luggage aboard will stop on a dime and give you eight and a half cents change.

Now back to boots. Double H, I tell ya. Kuzi, would I steer you wrong?

Kuzi apologies for the thread hijack . . . . . . Just noticed this post webmost, and I gotta point out the obvious here.

As a Harley Rider for a dozen years now I can tell you that different rides are made for different riders. BMWs are not better motocycles than harleys, and harleys are not better than BMWs are. They are just different, so, just like everything else in life, it depends on what is imporant to you. Yours is made for peak efficiency with out the least bit of consideration for anything else, and it sounds like that fits your personality. Therefore, BMWs would be the bike you would gravitate to, and you don't think other bikes stack up at all.

But thats not my personality at all, and I gravitate towards a different type of Bike than you do because I like different things. Thats all. Harleys are "better" in my eyes than any other bike out there. But I know that is only my opinion.

Seriously, comparing the two is like comapring a porsche to an old Muslce car. There's no point to the comparison they are just different and different people will gravitate towards different things.

Thread Jack over.
    kuzi16:
    they are here:
    Cool Boots Kuzi, enjoy em
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Needs the Belt buckle first, Nice boots,, got me a pair of some Black Snakeskin Tony Lamas
    rzaman:
    Congrats!!! Now what about a cowboy hat?
    kuzi16:
    they are here:

sweet.