Home General Discussion

Cigar and Whiskey Pairings.......

TizzleTizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
Proud to be a first time Poster..... I finally made the financial plunge into serious cigar smoking..... purchased a who's who of fine cigars as well as a great starter humidifier ( CUBAN CRAFTERS HAVANA HUMIDOR - 120 CIGAR CAPACITY - EXOTIC HIGH PIANO GLOSS BIRDSEYE MAPLE BURL EXTERIOR, VIRGIN SPANISH CEDAR INTERIOR.)  at least I think It is quality.... like I said I am a rookie and will be looking for any advice I can get..... I'm 25 and have spent about  $1,000 + $$$$ to get started and hope my investment can propell me to a GREAT start as a serious Cigar smoker.....

I LOVE Gentleman Jack and would very much appreciate a starter Cigar that would compliment this whiskey nicely..... any suggestions will be taken VERY seriously and will be tested.....

I also will be posting a list of the 200+ Cigars I have recently purchased..... any critiques and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated......... I am here to learn!!

I know I'm a NEWBIE but I am taking this VERY seriously....... I look forward to any advice, critique's, or encouragement I can get from true Aficionado's!!!!! Thanks so much!!!

Gem Toussaint

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Welcome aboard! I actually like more woodsy, leathery cigars with Gentleman Jack, try Gurkha Regents or Carlos Toranos Exodus 1959.

As far as other advice, joking aside, get a bigger humidor. I got serious about cigars about three months ago, and I started with a 50 and a 20. Within a month I bought a 150 and just recently I started up a coolerdor, lol.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Welcome

Relatively new myself, Ive found that mild cigar flavor almost totally get wiped out by scotch or whiskey.
    So that being said, I would agree that your stronger cigars go better with hard alchohol.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, those humis fill up fast. I started with a 50 (fool I was) and have since added a 75, a 300 and a coolerdor. And they're all busting at the seams.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Tizzle:
    Proud to be a first time Poster..... I finally made the financial plunge into serious cigar smoking..... purchased a who's who of fine cigars as well as a great starter humidifier ( CUBAN CRAFTERS HAVANA HUMIDOR - 120 CIGAR CAPACITY - EXOTIC HIGH PIANO GLOSS BIRDSEYE MAPLE BURL EXTERIOR, VIRGIN SPANISH CEDAR INTERIOR.)  at least I think It is quality.... like I said I am a rookie and will be looking for any advice I can get..... I'm 25 and have spent about  $1,000 + $$$$ to get started and hope my investment can propell me to a GREAT start as a serious Cigar smoker.....

I LOVE Gentleman Jack and would very much appreciate a starter Cigar that would compliment this whiskey nicely..... any suggestions will be taken VERY seriously and will be tested.....

I also will be posting a list of the 200+ Cigars I have recently purchased..... any critiques and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated......... I am here to learn!!

I know I'm a NEWBIE but I am taking this VERY seriously....... I look forward to any advice, critique's, or encouragement I can get from true Aficionado's!!!!! Thanks so much!!!

Gem Toussaint

Alright welcome aboard Tizzle. This is a outstanding place to hang out and learn about cigars. I am a Gentleman Jack fan myself, usually drink it with La Aurora 1495's or Fuente's Don Carlos (any size) or El Rey Del Mundo's. Now , I see a problem your going to have right off the start...you got a 120 count humi, that will hold probably about 90 smokes give or take a few. You said you have ordered 200 plus smokes already !!! You Are already outta room bro' !!! If you cant afford another Humi you can set up a Cooledor or a tupperdor lots of people here use them when short on humidors. I will be looking forward to see your list of smokes ordered... Again welcome aboard ...also if you like Gentleman Jack have you ever tried Buffalo Trace ...very tasty stuff ....hmmmm I'm thirsty now ....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    alienmisprint:
    Welcome aboard! I actually like more woodsy, leathery cigars with Gentleman Jack, try Gurkha Regents or Carlos Toranos Exodus 1959.
    I'm gonna agree with alien on this one. I find that medium to full woodsy or earthy cigars tend to pair well with most bourbons and whiskeys as well as the occasional scotch.

As for my suggestions: Alec Bradley Tempus, La Aurora Barrel Aged, La Aroma de Cuba (either line), or a Padron 64 if you're looking to drop a few extra bucks for a fantastic smoke. Good luck and welcome to the boards and the world of cigars.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 207
    For a new smoker, I would recommend something like a 5 Vegas Classic to start out with (excellent quality and value) and then work your way into stronger cigars slowly. I only say that because too strong a cigar paired with some whiskey can tend to leave a newbie hurling at the porcelain throne if not taken very slowly. If that's not strong enough, you can always move up in strength later, but a bad experience early on could put you off what should be a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. Just my opinion here; welcome aboard.
  • ArgusArgus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12

I read the replies about adding humidor after humidor, and I have to laugh my butt off.  I started with a 120 cap because of recommendations I read here, and let's just say that I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.

Tizzle,

Save yourself some time and trouble, and buy a cabinet or start working on a walk in.  As far as your question goes, I had an A. Fernandez Signature a couple nights ago with a single malt.  I swear that after each sip of whiskey, the cigar tasted of grilled steak.  Really unique experience.  I also find that Man O War, Pepin Blue, Pepin JJ, Tat Hav VI , most full body Gerhkas, and just about every Camacho goes great with my stronger spirits. 

Then again, I went from mild to full body cigars during my first couple weeks, and never experienced the stomach distress that some have, so you may wish to start off with slightly lighter fare.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    alienmisprint:

As far as other advice, joking aside, get a bigger humidor. I got serious about cigars about three months ago, and I started with a 50 and a 20. Within a month I bought a 150 and just recently I started up a coolerdor, lol.
    Hey Tizzle... welcome aboard .I think a fine compliment would come from the Carlos Torano family too.. My choice would be the Torano Signature, or the Casa Torano.. Two of my favorites.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Ditto on the bigger humi, i went from a 50, then overflowed a tupperdor, added a 200 and now im over flowing the tupperdors again....time for a new.....
  • TizzleTizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thank you all for the suggestions and advice!!!! I am very surprised and encouraged by all of your posts....being new you have all made me feel very welcome.... After doing some more shopping around your suggestions with the humidor is already making sense...I am already looking at a much larger humidor to house my inventory..... Its great to see some Gentleman Jack fans on the board as well!!  gmil I have never heard of Buffalo Trance and will look forward to trying it paired with some of the cigars you suggested... I'll definately let you all know what I enjoyed!! Once I my orders arrive I will post a list of what I have and some of my thoughts.... I look forward to further discussion..... now time to go watch the Bulls vs. Celtics game 7

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Welcome to the forums! Gentleman Jack and JD are my two favorite drinks, and I usually like to smoke a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 or a RP Olde World Reserve. Both are good smokes, but if you're just starting out, you might want to stick to the Vintage 92 (vintage 90 isn't bad either). The owr is a full bodied smoke.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Tizzle:
    Thank you all for the suggestions and advice!!!! I am very surprised and encouraged by all of your posts....being new you have all made me feel very welcome.... After doing some more shopping around your suggestions with the humidor is already making sense...I am already looking at a much larger humidor to house my inventory..... Its great to see some Gentleman Jack fans on the board as well!!  gmil I have never heard of Buffalo Trance and will look forward to trying it paired with some of the cigars you suggested... I'll definately let you all know what I enjoyed!! Once I my orders arrive I will post a list of what I have and some of my thoughts.... I look forward to further discussion..... now time to go watch the Bulls vs. Celtics game 7

get a 250 count humi, cigars really add up.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    gmill880:
    Tizzle:

Gem Toussaint

Alright welcome aboard Tizzle. This is a outstanding place to hang out and learn about cigars. I am a Gentleman Jack fan myself, usually drink it with La Aurora 1495's or Fuente's Don Carlos (any size) or El Rey Del Mundo's. Now , I see a problem your going to have right off the start...you got a 120 count humi, that will hold probably about 90 smokes give or take a few. You said you have ordered 200 plus smokes already !!! You Are already outta room bro' !!! If you cant afford another Humi you can set up a Cooledor or a tupperdor lots of people here use them when short on humidors. I will be looking forward to see your list of smokes ordered... Again welcome aboard ...also if you like Gentleman Jack have you ever tried Buffalo Trace ...very tasty stuff ....hmmmm I'm thirsty now ....
    Buffalo Trace is an excellent sweeter whiskey IMO. I've never had it with a cigar but I'll work on that.

I'll echo everybody else on the humi's. I started with a small one and quickly had to buy another bigger one, and then another bigger one and now I have 5 humi's.

CK