Home General Discussion

Noob question: Plugged cigar

cshmoldascshmoldas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
Ok, so I've been smoking cigars off and on for the past 12-15 years and had never had any issues with too tight/plugged cigars until recently.  In the past month, I've had 2 seriously plugged cigars (both Gurkhas).  I keep my humidor at around 68% rh and other cigars in there have not had any problems, so I don't think its a humidor issue...but what the heck do I know, I'm a noob.

I guess my question, is 3 part:

1)  Are there any steps that can be taken to lower the chances of getting plugged?
2)  Is there any way to save a severely plugged stick?  I've just had to toss them...
3)  Are there popular brands that are more susceptible to getting plugged than others (Ex. I've tried to smoke 4 Gurkha in the past month or so, and 2 were plugged and a third was really tight, but not unbearable).

Any thoughts?

On a positive note, after the last plugged cigar, I grabbed a 5 Vegas Miami out of the humi, which I really enjoyed.

Shmo

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Gurkha...don't buy them...problem solved. Honestly it happens, happened in a couple Cubans to me recently... As long as they are stored properly, it happens with hand rolled cigars from time to time.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    I personally haven't smoke many Gurkhas, but I can tell you that the concensus of this forum is that you will have burn issues with them. The one's I've had, have been fine.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    If you'll make yourself a poker you can solve most plugged stick issues. They're available for sale, too, but I made mine out of a nice straight piece of coathanger wire of the smallest diameter you can find. Just be careful to go straight down the middle. If you come out the side it can still be repaired but it's best to avoid that happenstance. I never go anywhere to smoke without my poker.
    jlmarta:
    If you'll make yourself a poker you can solve most plugged stick issues. They're available for sale, too, but I made mine out of a nice straight piece of coathanger wire of the smallest diameter you can find. Just be careful to go straight down the middle. If you come out the side it can still be repaired but it's best to avoid that happenstance. I never go anywhere to smoke without my poker.
    Got any pics of that to share?
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    This is what I use. Won it in a contest. But he still makes them.
    JHewey:

Looks a whole lot nicer than my piece of wire. I think my diameter is smaller but yours is prettier.
    mmccartneydc:
    jlmarta:
    Got any pics of that to share?

I'll go take one for ya. Check back in a little while.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    JHewey:
    Think I saw that dude advertising on another forum. Had some nice draw tools
    Okay, here ya go: image

You can tell it's had a lot of use. The little black disc is a piece of rubber from an old bicycle tube and is used as a depth gauge. I don't try to poke it all the way through - sometimes only an inch or two will do the job. When I get it in as far as I'm going, I slide the rubber up against the cigar head so I can remember how deep I went. Then, if that didn't work, I can go a little deeper if need be.

I find that, frequently, torpedoes are more likely to be plugged and mostly within the first inch or two at the head end. I think it's because of the torcedores having to twist the tobacco a bit to get the taper. Just my guess.

Like I said, it's nowhere as good looking as Jhewey's but it always does the job.
  • cshmoldascshmoldas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for all of the feedback.  Sounds like its time to find a fine coathanger to shape into a cigar awl...

This probably isn't the last noob question I'll have for you guys.

Shmo
  • interpiminterpim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    JHewey:

This looks fairly easy to make... how thick is that pokey end?
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    jlmarta:
    I saw Marty's last year, and went home and made mine the next day.
    but mine's purdyerr......heh heh heh........
    if you have a grinder, you can get that tip sharp and tapered, which helps a lot.....
    do NOT use when intoxicated!!

KingoftheCove:
    jlmarta:
    I saw Marty's last year, and went home and made mine the next day.
    but mine's purdyerr......heh heh heh........
    if you have a grinder, you can get that tip sharp and tapered, which helps a lot.....
    do NOT use when intoxicated!!

Intoxicated?? Who gets that way? Who has the time?? LOL
  • slum_lordeslum_lorde Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    How about just an old fashioned ice pick? You can get them cheap, it looks like, off of Amazon. Your local Walmart or Target might carry them as well--perhaps for a few bucks.

It kind of looks like an ice pick in the photo.

You might want to look around for a small one, with a small diameter poker.

To store the thing just put a cork on the end. That way you won't accidentally poke yourself with it if you store it in a drawer or whatever and have to rummage through the drawer looking for it or something else.

From the photo, it looks like it could have another purpose as well--as a roach clip for cigars.

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I use a straightened out paper clip and if that doesn't work then I break out the poker RBeckom sent me made of the top piece of a portable radio antenna sharpened on the end. And if that doesn't work there the next section of antenna that hollow and sharpened that just cores a hole thru the cigar.
    Awesome guys! Great info. I definitely need to get one of these. Saw your post on FB JHewey, I'll look into that! Thanks