Home General Discussion

Humidor Capacity????

edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
How are these humidor manufactures calculating the capacity in these boxes. As a rule of thumbs is it how many coronas they are able to squeeze in. My supposedly 300 count humidor can barely hold 100 cigars. I'm not trying to fill it up with all churchhills but mainly robustos or belicoso. Even the small 20 count humidors can't hold 20... Just wondering...

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    It's complete BS if you ask me....
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    edelrionyc:
    How are these humidor manufactures calculating the capacity in these boxes. As a rule of thumbs is it how many coronas they are able to squeeze in. My supposedly 300 count humidor can barely hold 100 cigars. I'm not trying to fill it up with all churchhills but mainly robustos or belicoso. Even the small 20 count humidors can't hold 20... Just wondering...
    probably some leeway in the calculation I'm sure. but the trend to bigger and bigger ring cigars is making it look silly. I think 1 6 x 60 takes up about as much room as 4 lanceros.

I don't have many lanceros or Gordos, but have a good mix of everything in between and I usually hit right on capacity or maybe even a little more than what they say.

Try playing more tetris too haha. Get creative if you have to.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    catfishbluezz:
    My thoughs exactly
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    catfishbluezz:
    My thoughs exactly
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Agreed!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    They are obviously using a c.com forum calculator.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    danielzreyes:
    LOL....Daniel nails it!!!! Great post bro...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    it is based off of a corona.
    this is the classic standard cuban size and the size that all humidors have been calculated off of for as long as i can remember. the corona is a small ring (42ish) by only 5 inches or so. it shouldnt be much of a surprise that you cant fit as many robustos, toros, and belicosos in there.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I still can't convince my wife there aren't 300 cigars in my 300 count. But I can get up to 180 in there with the right combo of sizes in a certain order. Though it's only been full once.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    IMO humidors are more for show... Cooladors and tupperadors are where you can't really go wrong!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    IMO humidors are more for show... Cooladors and tupperadors are where you can't really go wrong!
    disagree.

but i see what you are saying and there is a damn good argument that plastic is the way to go.

i may not disagree with you in a few years. that switch has been entering my thoughts more and more often.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    catfishbluezz:
    danielzreyes:
    LOL....Daniel nails it!!!! Great post bro...
    Bwahahahaha, yeah bc the math is so good here! Too funny!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Rated capacity on a humidor is calculated thusly...

First, remove EVERYTHING from the humidor in question except the cigars - humidification devices, shelves, trays, hygrometer, EVERYTHING.

Second, put the number of sticks the humidor is rated for inside the humidor, no matter how high you have to stack them.

Third, close the humidor lid as far as it will go. Next, take the number of sticks the humidor is rated for, and multiply that number by 37.62874%.

The resulting number is the number of times you will have to jump up and down on the lid of the humidor in order to achieve a proper seal.

I STRONGLY advise AGAINST using this technique. Instead, I recommend using this CCom Forums humidor size needed calculator.

Take the highest number of cigars you have ever owned, multiply that times the number of years you expect to smoke cigars - and GO BIGGER than that.

Using that formula generally will ensure you a good 12 - 18 months before you need to upgrade to a larger storage capacity. Results may vary.... :-D

• SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    The Sniper:
    Rated capacity on a humidor is calculated thusly...

First, remove EVERYTHING from the humidor in question except the cigars - humidification devices, shelves, trays, hygrometer, EVERYTHING.

Second, put the number of sticks the humidor is rated for inside the humidor, no matter how high you have to stack them.

Third, close the humidor lid as far as it will go. Next, take the number of sticks the humidor is rated for, and multiply that number by 37.62874%.

The resulting number is the number of times you will have to jump up and down on the lid of the humidor in order to achieve a proper seal.

I STRONGLY advise AGAINST using this technique. Instead, I recommend using this CCom Forums humidor size needed calculator.

Take the highest number of cigars you have ever owned, multiply that times the number of years you expect to smoke cigars - and GO BIGGER than that.

Using that formula generally will ensure you a good 12 - 18 months before you need to upgrade to a larger storage capacity. Results may vary.... :-D

Nice formula Glen, if your married it leads to one thing, trouble LOL
  • armaes8armaes8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 279
    Glen
    Serious math skills, I think this is part of the Da Vinci Code. Or you can do the other math, Make sure you smoke one on the hour every hour and you will always have room.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    disagree.

but i see what you are saying and there is a damn good argument that plastic is the way to go.

i may not disagree with you in a few years. that switch has been entering my thoughts more and more often.
    I guess I should have added in also to keep them filled with cigar boxes and not just plastic. I have three humidors and my cooladores and tupperadors are a lot less maitenance and easier to navigate thru when searching for some buried sticks
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kuzi16:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    disagree.

I guess I should have added in also to keep them filled with cigar boxes and not just plastic. I have three humidors and my cooladores and tupperadors are a lot less maitenance and easier to navigate thru when searching for some buried sticks
    i was assuming that is what you meant.