Home General Discussion

Another Newbie Question - Storing Cigars In Humidor With or Without Cellophane?

Benno123Benno123 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
Ok, another newbie question for all the people here on the forum. With my humidor do I want to store cigars with or without the cellophane? I have seen things online saying yes and saying no, and have come to no conclusion so I thought I'd turn to all of you here. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Benno123:
    Ok, another newbie question for all the people here on the forum. With my humidor do I want to store cigars with or without the cellophane? I have seen things online saying yes and saying no, and have come to no conclusion so I thought I'd turn to all of you here. What are your thoughts?
    It's all your preference. I will put cellos on some sticks because I tend to handle them more often moving around the humi.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    With is my opinion. Keeps each stick to it own as far as smells and flavors go. And the cellophane allows moisture in and out so it makes no difference as far as that is concerned.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    You have just stumbled upon the greatest debate in cigar history
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    If you are aging? No cello. If you are fondling and smoking...cello. Some say the cello helps against mold too if it is spreading, but I can't prove that. Me....no cello in the aging boxes, Cuban humi or boxes obviously, and cello in everything else.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I personally prefer with cellophane so that I'm able to safely touch them, move them around, etc...
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I put them in the humi exactly how they came from the maker. If he wanted them in cellophane I figure he would put them in cellophane, if not then not.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    bandyt09:
    I put them in the humi exactly how they came from the maker. If he wanted them in cellophane I figure he would put them in cellophane, if not then not.
    hard to argue with this logic . . . .

I'm a cello off kind of guy though. Just like the way it looks more than anything else.
    *Petey*:
    bandyt09:

I'm a cello off kind of guy though. Just like the way it looks more than anything else.
    Honestly....I only purposely took it off for a couple boxes I wanted to age, otherwise....I hate not having it. I finger through my sticks way to much to not have it...
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    catfishbluezz:
    *Petey*:
    bandyt09:

Honestly....I only purposely took it off for a couple boxes I wanted to age, otherwise....I hate not having it. I finger through my sticks way to much to not have it...
    yeah this the biggest thing for me that makes me think about leaving it on. But I started taking it off way back when and I got used to the way it looks and being real careful and just sorta keep on it now. Everytime I have a chipped foot though I think about it, but then I smoke it and it smokes fine and I give up on worrying about it.

And I'm not sure if its any different but it smells f'ing magical in there.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    bandyt09:
    This. Only time I take it it off is if it stinks. Happens sometimes after a herf.
    *Petey*:
    catfishbluezz:
    *Petey*:
    bandyt09:

yeah this the biggest thing for me that makes me think about leaving it on. But I started taking it off way back when and I got used to the way it looks and being real careful and just sorta keep on it now. Everytime I have a chipped foot though I think about it, but then I smoke it and it smokes fine and I give up on worrying about it.

And I'm not sure if its any different but it smells f'ing magical in there.
    The only smokes I have uncello are maduro's for aging, that's it, or they came that way. I agree on the scent....my CC humi smells so damn good I jsut open it to sniff....daily...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Benno123:
    my thoughts?
    i think you suould use the search feature on this forum
    now that im done being an ass...

the real answer is it doesnt matter at all in any way beyond what you like. there is no "correct" answer.
    it doesnt matter.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    catfishbluezz:
    If you are aging? No cello. If you are fondling and smoking...cello. Some say the cello helps against mold too if it is spreading, but I can't prove that. Me....no cello in the aging boxes, Cuban humi or boxes obviously, and cello in everything else.
    +1
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Alex also had a writeup about this in the most recent catalog basically saying the same stuff.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I too am a "cello on" guy. You gotta protect your investments - even if they're sure to go up in smoke at some point. :-)

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    I'm a non-cello kinda guy but....
    One of the CCOM catalogues just had an article on this. Thinking of going that way, cello off to age, then cello them when they are aged to your liking to more preserve that aged state. I think Alex wrote the article.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    I used to be a take the cello off type of guy, but now I tend to agree with Todd. If they come with, I leave it on, except for sticks that Im aging.
  • Benno123Benno123 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for the replies. My conclusion is I think if I get them with the cello, I'll keep them with the cello. As many said, I handle them too much to want to cause any harm. However, I am considering getting a second smaller humidor once I get going on this one that I have so I can store and age cigars in that one. After reading all the thoughts and opinions here I thought it may be a good idea.

Thanks again!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    By the way Benno123, welcome to the forum! My suggestion is that if you are new to the hobby, keep the cellophane on. If down the road you get really good at controlling the humidity and temperature of your humidors and you want to start aging some cigars then start taking the cello off. That's what I learned to do for myself anyhow.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you should also post your address here so that the brothers and I can send you a *cough* *cough* welcoming gift.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Benno123:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. My conclusion is I think if I get them with the cello, I'll keep them with the cello. As many said, I handle them too much to want to cause any harm. However, I am considering getting a second smaller humidor once I get going on this one that I have so I can store and age cigars in that one. After reading all the thoughts and opinions here I thought it may be a good idea. Thanks again!
    I too keep them the way they came. UNLESS, and this maybe sacrilage, but, certain cigars i experiment with. I will take 2 cigars that i love or are simliar and like their certain qualities, I will take the cello off and place them next to each other to age together so that the oils will blend with each other, just random experiments ive gotten some pretty nice smokes out of it. but it takes AWHILE for results. try at your own risk.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Benno123:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. My conclusion is I think if I get them with the cello, I'll keep them with the cello. As many said, I handle them too much to want to cause any harm. However, I am considering getting a second smaller humidor once I get going on this one that I have so I can store and age cigars in that one. After reading all the thoughts and opinions here I thought it may be a good idea. Thanks again!
    I too keep them the way they came. UNLESS, and this maybe sacrilage, but, certain cigars i experiment with. I will take 2 cigars that i love or are simliar and like their certain qualities, I will take the cello off and place them next to each other to age together so that the oils will blend with each other, just random experiments ive gotten some pretty nice smokes out of it. but it takes AWHILE for results. try at your own risk.
    define: AWHILE

im not trying to hate but two cigars sitting next to each other even for many years (5+) will not marry oils enough with each other that anyone but the most refined palates or master blenders would be able to tell a difference.
    you may just be aging some cigars and ending up with a good smoke. if what you are suggesting was true then there would be a ton of people buying some average inexpensive mild cigars and throwing one high end premium that is full bodied in with them so that the inexpensive ones will pick up the flavor. it doesnt really work like that.
  • slum_lordeslum_lorde Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    I've stored cigars both ways. You might get better aging on sticks without the cello--I don't know. But there are risks. For instance, the wrapper can become damaged over time. Some cigars are more easily damaged than others. For example, the wrappers on a good number of the CAO Brazilias I have without the cello on them have started to fall apart. The wrappers on my CAO Sopranos, stored for the same duration without cellos right next to them, are just fine, however. It could be, too that some cigars might just unravel over time on their own due to construction issues--thin skins perhaps--and perhaps humidification as well.

Also, the only mold I've found on my cigars has occurred on cigars without their cellos on. Just a few days ago, I had to throw out a couple because they were sitting side by side and mold apparently jumped from one to the other. They were cheap cigars that I really didn't have an interest in, so there was no real loss.

Still, I do like storing better cigars without the cello if possible. It's just that you have to be careful.

I do have a bunch of Rocky Patel sticks that I've been storing for a number of years now. I kept the cello on because I wanted to store different types together--ie Sungrown, Vintage, Decade, etc., and I wanted to try to keep flavors from blending, if possible (and if actually necessary). The cello on those have turned brownish yellow. It's kind of a nice thing to see.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    catfishbluezz:
    Hole
    Oh no you didn't hahahahahahaha
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Hole
    Oh no you didn't hahahahahahaha
    This not Nam...there are rules!!!
  • duckshooterduckshooter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    All good advice given as I have researched the same thing alot. All I know is that after lurking for a year I've learned to pay attention when Kuzi speaks. :)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Short term I take them off I feel they acclimate quicker but long term I keep them on