Home General Discussion

Cedar... Too much?

VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
I have been tasting lots of cedar in my non cello sticks. It's pretty prominent .... Is that normal? They are in the 5 Vegas humi so it's not a cheapy

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Maybe it's the sticks? From what I've heard, only people with highly refined palates, like master blenders, should be able to taste the cedar, and even that's if the cigar has been in the humi for years
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    4 months..... It is....was the only one in that humi I've had that tasted like my humi smells
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    My humi never really had much of a cedar smell. It's no cheapie either, an ashton savoy. I cant say ive ever really had a cigar I'd call cedary, but i do have one of the hoya de Monterrey repoasados i want to try. Theyre supposedly "immersed" in cedar then come wrapped in a sleeve too.
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    xmacro:
    Maybe it's the sticks? From what I've heard, only people with highly refined palates, like master blenders, should be able to taste the cedar, and even that's if the cigar has been in the humi for years

I guess your like a master blender or something!!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Cedar is a very common note to pick up in a cigar...
    I havent had one that "cedary" since. It was on fire with cedar.

EDIT: I had a Punch today with close to 8-9 months on it. It has lived in two humi's and it had no cedar to it. Celo off.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i always like a good cedar aroma. i would even say i like the aroma more than the taste.
  • stadstad Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 386
    Kuzi, I totally agree. But this was like licking the inside of a humi.... Not that I have done that...... lately.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    cedar note, woodiness is a good thing and pretty much exist in most of the cigar. Some people say their cigar smells like horse s** t. They should take the cigar out of the celo and let the cigar rest in the humidor. the cedar note helps to kill that unpleasant pre-smoke smell.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    I noticed that last year on a couple of cigars. They actually tasted pretty good, the cedar wasn't overpowering. I figured it was because I stocked the new humi with un-cello'd sticks and they absorbed the cedar aroma on the ones placed next to the sides and bottom.
    But, what do I know.
  • slum_lordeslum_lorde Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    Just remember, if the cigars come in a cedar sleeve, take the sleeve off before lighting. That should help.Smile [:)]
    rzaman:
    cedar note, woodiness is a good thing and pretty much exist in most of the cigar. Some people say their cigar smells like horse s** t. They should take the cigar out of the celo and let the cigar rest in the humidor. the cedar note helps to kill that unpleasant pre-smoke smell.
    I love a good horse $hit smoke.
    And I just took the cello off the supposedly super-cedar Hoyo.. well, it sure smells awesome! More cedar than I've ever gotten a whiff of on any other smoke. It's almost like smelling a block of wood.

prelight is... you guessed it..woody
    Ive been burying them in my mulch.... Not a good idea?
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Vision:
    Kuzi, I totally agree. But this was like licking the inside of a humi.... Not that I have done that...... lately.
    That's not how you season a humi?
    Direwolf:
    Vision:

Everything I read said to lightly moisten......... Never said how.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Vision:
    Direwolf:
    Vision:

If you do , give it a light thanding first. The splinthers thuck
    Direwolf:
    Vision:
    Direwolf:
    Vision:

If you do , give it a light thanding first. The splinthers thuck

I had a GREAT response..... Not really PG friendly.