Home General Discussion

Father's Day smoke

JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
So I'm trying to get the lady to warm to the idea of takin' me to the B & M on Father's Day, but it's hard since she's all like, "You have a ton of cigars here, why do you need to go buy one to smoke it?" Being fairly new to cigars, though, I don't have a good response to this other than, 'but they have better ones there and I wanna try one." She looks at me like I'm our 3 year old begging for a new toy for her sandbox and says, "Like what?" My question is: what would you recommend as a good, special occasion, smoke that won't break the bank but would also set it apart from your every day, go-to sticks?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Don Pepin My Father - great smoke IMO; B&M's, if they're a nice one, are great for kicking back on a big leather chair, good sports on the tube, and guys to chew the fat with, along with some nice libations - not to mention that you can smoke indoors, at a table, and enjoy something to eat with your cigar. A good B&M will have employees that can recommend cigars you may like based off ones you tell them (good employees won't be pushy; they'll only ask if you need help)
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    If you really want a memorable experience I recommend an A. Funete Anejo or any Davidoff (if the B&M carries them of course. Those are 2 cigars that will absolutely seduce your senses. Amazing sticks! They can be a little pricey, but well worth the $ they carry.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    If its to be a Father's Day smoke that wont break the bank, I'd have to go with x-mac... the My Father has got to be a no-brainer, right?

However, to offer some variety instead of the good ol "+1", here's a thought - its a special occasion right? Go ahead and break the bank, just once, to celebrate it! If there's a high dollar stick you have been going "I'd LOVE to try that, but I aint paying $XX for a stick..." about, I say F it and go for it! If its a $30 stick (Opus X, God of Fire, et all) and the spousal unit complains, remind her that $30 wont buy A ticket for you to go to a pro baseball game, much less for both of you and the kid(s) to enjoy one.

If you have her think about what she usually spends on you for the holiday in gifts, $30 should seem a bargain to her i would imagine, especially for something she knows you're gonna absolutely love. Problem solved! Dont break the bank? Bump that, I say do it! Lord knows that being a father, you have earned it. :-)

• JZerbyJZerby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 122
    xmacro:
    Don Pepin My Father - great smoke IMO; B&M's, if they're a nice one, are great for kicking back on a big leather chair, good sports on the tube, and guys to chew the fat with, along with some nice libations. A good B&M will have employees that can recommend cigars you may like based off ones you tell them (good employees won't be pushy; they'll only ask if you need help)
    The guys at the B&M I go to are pretty cool. All but one are older and they know their stuff. Plus, it's never busy. It's right next door to a Starbuck's so most people get what they want and go next door for some coffee and sit outside. Which is what I usually do and why I want my wife along. She can get a little more insight into my hobby and not feel uncomfortable doing so.

That said, I'm going whether she comes along or not, but I want her to know, and see, that I am not just blowing money on something I can do for free at home.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    The Sniper:
    If its to be a Father's Day smoke that wont break the bank, I'd have to go with x-mac... the My Father has got to be a no-brainer, right?

However, to offer some variety instead of the good ol "+1", here's a thought - its a special occasion right? Go ahead and break the bank, just once, to celebrate it! If there's a high dollar stick you have been going "I'd LOVE to try that, but I aint paying $XX for a stick..." about, I say F it and go for it! If its a $30 stick (Opus X, God of Fire, et all) and the spousal unit complains, remind her that $30 wont buy A ticket for you to go to a pro baseball game, much less for both of you and the kid(s) to enjoy one.

If you have her think about what she usually spends on you for the holiday in gifts, $30 should seem a bargain to her i would imagine, especially for something she knows you're gonna absolutely love. Problem solved! Dont break the bank? Bump that, I say do it! Lord knows that being a father, you have earned it. :-)

I agree with Glen. It's your(our)day, so have at ye! Spend the extra cash to splurge on yourself for once instead of making sure that everyone else is happy on any given day. Have a GOF, Opus X, Davidoff or any other stick that strikes your fancy. Personally, I forsee a T-52 and a Feral in my future since JHewey was nice enough to beat the snot out of me with both of them last week.
    The Sniper:

For some reason, I had not thought of it that way. Plus I do have holiday pay from working Memorial Day...I'm gonna just go for it! Still want recommendations, but forget the worrying!
    JZerby:
    The Sniper:

For some reason, I had not thought of it that way. Plus I do have holiday pay from working Memorial Day...I'm gonna just go for it! Still want recommendations, but forget the worrying!
    Good for you my brother, Im very glad to hear it!

Toombes:
    Spend the extra cash to splurge on yourself for once instead of making sure that everyone else is happy on any given day.
    Toombes has the right of it. These forums are made up of some of THE finest individuals Ive ever known. As good men, its in our nature to think of our families and loved ones first, and make sacrifices for their happiness - often at the sacrifice of our own. While this is certainly laudable and IMHO one of the things that makes a REAL man, we tend to get into that mindset so deeply sometimes that we forget to enjoy the fruits of our labor ourselves.

$30 or so, a couple times a year, for something we really enjoy? I dont think thats such a big deal at all.

Smoke it, feel no guilt, reflect on the day and everything you put into it, and SAVOR it all.

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Also consider the high-end Padron's! They seem to be a little easier to find in B&M's, at least in my experiences.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    SleevePlz:
    Also consider the high-end Padron's! They seem to be a little easier to find in B&M's, at least in my experiences.
    Cazy! As soon as I read the post I scrolled all the way down thinking I'm going to reply with "highend Padrons" ... and what to i see lol. GO LIONS!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    danielzreyes:
    SleevePlz:
    Cazy! As soon as I read the post I scrolled all the way down thinking I'm going to reply with "highend Padrons" ... and what to i see lol. GO LIONS!
    Great minds think alike!
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    There is a lot of great advise and suggestions being thrown around on this thread. What I use that my wife likes that somewhat compares to my hobby of smoking cigars is when she gets her hair and nails done. When I ask to buy more sticks and I get the look as if I have enough already I ask her when she planning on touching up her hair or getting her nails filled. As she put its it, I smoke money away, that's when I remind her it costs more for her monthly up keep lol.

If there I one cigar or cigars I would suggest, it would be any the Padron 1926 #9 or anything from the anni lines. I like a good back story when I'm smoking a special occasion sticks, most cigar brands have a similar story to the Padron families but I like theirs the best.

Also, in my opinion, you would be hard pressed to find a better cigar to go with a cup of coffee. The Padron anni sticks are packed with flavors of espresso and dark fruits and are so smooth. No matter what you end up trying, I'm sure it will always be one to remember.
    SleevePlz:
    You totally beat me with the Padron suggestion LOL
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    The Sniper:
    JZerby:
    The Sniper:

Good for you my brother, Im very glad to hear it!

Toombes:
    Spend the extra cash to splurge on yourself for once instead of making sure that everyone else is happy on any given day.
    Toombes has the right of it. These forums are made up of some of THE finest individuals Ive ever known. As good men, its in our nature to think of our families and loved ones first, and make sacrifices for their happiness - often at the sacrifice of our own. While this is certainly laudable and IMHO one of the things that makes a REAL man, we tend to get into that mindset so deeply sometimes that we forget to enjoy the fruits of our labor ourselves.

$30 or so, a couple times a year, for something we really enjoy? I dont think thats such a big deal at all.

Smoke it, feel no guilt, reflect on the day and everything you put into it, and SAVOR it all.

Thanks, Sniper. I've always made sure my family has everything they require and I usually let myself fall to the side and pick up the pieces later. I don't want this to turn into an "I never get anything" pity party rant thread, but I feel that any true man/father/husband does this out of unconditional love. Given that, I don't see the harm in having a day were we can pamper ourselves by enjoying a cigar that we would never buy under normal circumstances.
    Also, to echo the above suggestions the Padron '26 is an outstanding stick if you want to pair it with a good cup of joe and relax.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    I second alot of what has been said here, so I won't recap or hit the quote button but good discussion fellas.

My advice is to try to do what you want on fathers day as long as everyone is cool with it. As for which cigars are "worth it" that is unfortunately a real subjective question, but I think the padron anniversaries are all good no matter who you ask.

Another compromise if she's hesitant for the B&M thing is to ask her to go for a cigar walk with you. bring a nice cigar that oyu have and have been wanting to try and go for a walk together as a family and smoke the cigar while enjoying each others company. Might be the start to a new trend for you both and she might start asking you to grab a cigar and go for a walk with her.

For me, my little guy unfortunately can't be around the smoke or my smokey clothes, ever, so I always need to work around that but I'm hoping to start and end the day with my first two My Fathers that Jiunn and RCY blew me apart with last month. Will probably go for a long walk in the morning with the dogs and take down a Special Edition or the original and finish the day in the back yard after the little one goes to bed with my beautiful wife, the Dogs, a glass of Eagle Rare, and a MF Le Bijou.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    +1 padron 26 if you want full flavor. But any of the family reserves are awesome and delicious!!!!! Writing this make me want to break into my humi and smoke one lol
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Smokindaddy:
    SleevePlz:
    +1 padron 26 if you want full flavor. But any of the family reserves are awesome and delicious!!!!! Writing this make me want to break into my humi and smoke one lol
    I know how you feel, so I had to smoke a 26 #1 tonight lol
    *Petey*:
    I second alot of what has been said here, so I won't recap or hit the quote button but good discussion fellas.

My advice is to try to do what you want on fathers day as long as everyone is cool with it. As for which cigars are "worth it" that is unfortunately a real subjective question, but I think the padron anniversaries are all good no matter who you ask.

Another compromise if she's hesitant for the B&M thing is to ask her to go for a cigar walk with you. bring a nice cigar that oyu have and have been wanting to try and go for a walk together as a family and smoke the cigar while enjoying each others company. Might be the start to a new trend for you both and she might start asking you to grab a cigar and go for a walk with her.

For me, my little guy unfortunately can't be around the smoke or my smokey clothes, ever, so I always need to work around that but I'm hoping to start and end the day with my first two My Fathers that Jiunn and RCY blew me apart with last month. Will probably go for a long walk in the morning with the dogs and take down a Special Edition or the original and finish the day in the back yard after the little one goes to bed with my beautiful wife, the Dogs, a glass of Eagle Rare, and a MF Le Bijou.
    We do something similar already, only it's out on the front porch. We go out after our daughter goes to bed sometimes and have a drink and I'll sometimes have a cigar and she'll smoke the occasional American Spirit. This kinda thing is a REALLY good idea, though. And if there are those who don't do it, they should.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    I was just going to add, that if you swung by a jewelry, clothing, shoe, or whatever shop for her on the way, you may not be met with any hesitation at all....just my .02!!! Good luck and Happy Father's day!
    mmccartneydc:
    I was just going to add, that if you swung by a jewelry, clothing, shoe, or whatever shop for her on the way, you may not be met with any hesitation at all....just my .02!!! Good luck and Happy Father's day!
    HERE is a man who knows how to play the game CORRECTLY! "He went to Jared!" LOL While this would work well for some holidays, I dont see where it would be necessary for FATHERS Day though.

Still, a good trick to file away for future use. :-)

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Hmm, I forgot about this holiday, soooo, I supose I will be having an ordianry smoke.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    JZerby:
    *Petey*:

We do something similar already, only it's out on the front porch. We go out after our daughter goes to bed sometimes and have a drink and I'll sometimes have a cigar and she'll smoke the occasional American Spirit. This kinda thing is a REALLY good idea, though. And if there are those who don't do it, they should.
    thanks man, yeah the big thing here for me is that by including my wife in the hobby, even though she won't smoke a cigar, she's WAY more apt to enjoy me having the hobby. Plus some QT with the wife is always a perk too. Sometimes I still like smoking alone but its good to hang with the missus as well.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    *Petey*:
    JZerby:
    *Petey*:

thanks man, yeah the big thing here for me is that by including my JIUNN in the hobby, HE WILL FOR SURE smoke a cigar. Plus some QT with the JIUNN is always a perk too. Sometimes I still like smoking alone but its good to hang with the JIUNN as well.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    LMAO. Jiunn, you so funny