Home General Discussion

Need some pipe tobacco recommendations

xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
I love AJ Fernandez - MOW, MOW PA, Diesel Unlimited, etc - I'd like a pipe tobacco with this same kind of profile, if anyone can recommend one.

I asked this question on some pipe forums, but it seems most of those people have never smoked a cigar in their life, and just recommended me some general pipe tobacco with strands of cigar leafs in it.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    I think the problem you may run into is that there really isn't a flavor profile in pipe tobacco like cigars.
    Peterson Irish Oak, Capt Black or Ashton Artisan may be the closest things, but even those are going to be way off a cigar profile.

If your local B&M carries pipe tobacco, you may be better off going down and checking out what they have and getting small samplers to try.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Pipe tobacco is a different universe. My understanding its grown for its aroma more so than its bite.
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.comaeon_spiral@yahoo.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Nogt too mention you can visibly tell the difference in the leaves if you cut open a cigar and compare
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    xmacro:
    I love AJ Fernandez - MOW, MOW PA, Diesel Unlimited, etc - I'd like a pipe tobacco with this same kind of profile, if anyone can recommend one.

I asked this question on some pipe forums, but it seems most of those people have never smoked a cigar in their life, and just recommended me some general pipe tobacco with strands of cigar leafs in it.
    X. Call Sean at C.Com. I'm telling you. He generously gave me a fair amount of time on the phone to get me going. He knows pipes/pipe tobacco AND Cigars. I know very very little. I'm trying to figure out what pipe tobacco I like right now. (So far I've only tried Captain Black Gold and Planta Danish Black Vanilla & neither is anything like a cigar).Sooooo, I'm of no help to you that way.. But, I think Sean will give you some good recommendations/info.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Check out Sam Gawith macro. You're not likely to find a pipe tobacco that is like a cigar, they are just different, but SG 1792 is one of the few tobaccos that has satisfied me the same way a cigar does. It's an incredibly potent blend, very rich, and reminiscent of smoked meat.

The thing to keep in mind is that you just won't get that same experience with a pipe that you get with a cigar, so if you're not prepared to appreciate the pipe for what it has to offer, I doubt you'll enjoy it. Good luck with your pipe though, don't give up on it.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    I am really not in a place to help much. I have been smoking a pipe for about 1.5 years now. There are some blends that include cigar leaf and that might be a good place to start. I have tried Gawith and Hoggarth's Brown Irish X, which has a cigar spice to it, but it is a long way off the cigars you mention above. It is also quite strong so if you try it be ware and if you have not smoked enough pipes to know how to keep it slow and avoid tongue bite you might let this go until you get your pace and style down.