Home Non Cigar Related

Are you old?

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
How to tell if you are old.......

You have no idea what toonami is or have heard your kids mention it, but are clueless.

You remember watching Speed Racer, when it wasn't re-runs.

You got up in the morning before school early enough to watch an hour of cartoons, before going to school.

Saturday cartoons ran all morning long on every broadcast channel.

Sunday nights were Wonderful World of Disney

If something was on and you weren't home, you missed it.

"Darn" was a risque word on TV. Harsher words weren't even allowed.

You remember when there was no HBO, Skinemax, MTV or other premium channels.

You know what UHF is and how you got those channels.

You remember cars with AM or AM/FM radios only.

You can remember folding up matchbook covers to keep the 8 tracks playing.

You remember shopping carts with ashtrays on them.

Movie theaters were thick with cigarette and cigar smoke, so you could see the light beam to the screen.

You would run to the store for cigarettes/tobacco for your parents, with only a note and some change.

There are tons more. What do you remember?

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Growing up in Detroit, I remember Speedway 79 gas stations and 19 cents per gallon gasoline.
    There were 5 or 6 channels on your black and white TV and if the picture got too 'snowy' you could sometimes clear it up a bit by adjusting the rabbit ears.

A burger, fries, and a shake for around 50 cents.

Coffee was 10 cents per cup with free refills.

EDIT: Man, don't get me started .......
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 147
    We had 4 channels growing up, 7 was CBS, 9 was ABC, 12 was NBC (which didn't come in very well because it was coming out of Rhinlander) and 2 was PBS. This was on a dial channel changer.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I had 4 channels and they played the National Anthem when they went off the air at midnight.
    The traffic lights all flashed yellow after 10
    Festus coming to our town was a big deal.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    First gaming console was Pong. Arcades in the early 80s were the places to be. When you left home, no one could reach you. Social networking was actually being outside with friends. Getting spanked when I was bad was a prerequisite for growing up. Large sodas were not in the government's crosshairs. Trick or treating was actually fun as a kid and most people gave out good candy.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Big hair baby.

We didnt have to wory about our neighbor cooking crack

Tough skin jeans from sears

Marlin Perkins
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    No remote controls for the TV...Transistor radios...World series games played on weekday afternoons...Five and Dimes...Damn I'm old!!
    Poker Slob:
    No remote controls for the TV...Transistor radios...World series games played on weekday afternoons...Five and Dimes...Damn I'm old!!

Transistor radios??? When I went through electronics school to become a sonarman in the navy, everything was vacuum tube operated. Transistors didn't yet exist. And later, after I was out of the navy and one of my kid brothers was in and had gone to electronics tech school, he tried to explain to me the theory of a transistor. It was all Greek to me then and today I'd put into the same category as 'new math'. Pure gibberish.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    Lol Welp I'm somewhat old I remember some of those!!!
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Four channels on the TV, and you had to turn the dial to tune them in. The antenna was up on the hill behind the house with 300' of coaxial line running to it.
    All of the channels played the National Anthem when they signed off.
    Captain Kangaroo before leaving for school.
    8-tracks and vinyl where the sh*t!!
    Cartoons all day, on every channel on Saturday.
    H. R. Puffenstuff!
    Internet... Nope!
    Marlin Perkins and his trusty sidekick Jim.
    Your parents had to make you come in after dark instead of forcing you to go outside.
    Should I continue?
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Toombes:
    Four channels on the TV, and you had to turn the dial to tune them in. The antenna was up on the hill behind the house with 300' of coaxial line running to it.
    All of the channels played the National Anthem when they signed off.
    Captain Kangaroo before leaving for school.
    8-tracks and vinyl where the sh*t!!
    Cartoons all day, on every channel on Saturday.
    H. R. Puffenstuff!
    Internet... Nope!
    Marlin Perkins and his trusty sidekick Jim.
    Your parents had to make you come in after dark instead of forcing you to go outside.
    Should I continue?
    Don't forget proper tuning included the use of Aluminum foil on the rabbit ears
    And television sets could weigh as much as a Mini Cooper
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Corduroy pants... Everybody walking down the halls in school sounded like this... vrripp...vrripp...vrripp...
    Cans had pull off tabs. And speaking of televisions, they were a piece of furniture that mothers and wives decorated the top of with girly things. VCRs cost almost a grand and had the POP up top that you slid the tape into.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    .29 cent items at Taco Bell and a .25 cent Dilly bar from Dairy Queen.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    SaVas:
    Cans had pull off tabs. And speaking of televisions, they were a piece of furniture that mothers and wives decorated the top of with girly things. VCRs cost almost a grand and had the POP up top that you slid the tape into.
    Using a can opener on your pop. Punch one side, then puch a smaller hole on the other side, cause if you punch too big a hole on the opposite side, the pop would run out that hole all over you.

Howard Cosell on Wide World of Sports.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

This is a test. Only a test. Of the Emergency Broadcast system. If this were an actual emergency there would be information on where to tune for more information. Boooooooooooooooooop!
    And those tests only happened in the middle of a good boxing match, a great sport event or when Columbo or Perry Mason was announcing who the killer was.

Sneaking a drink of beer from your parents and it was perfectly acceptable.

Getting your butt beat for doing something wrong and it wasn't child abuse. It was discipline.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    0patience:
    SaVas:
    Using a can opener on your pop. Punch one side, then puch a smaller hole on the other side, cause if you punch too big a hole on the opposite side, the pop would run out that hole all over you.

Howard Cosell on Wide World of Sports.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

This is a test. Only a test. Of the Emergency Broadcast system. If this were an actual emergency there would be information on where to tune for more information. Boooooooooooooooooop!
    And those tests only happened in the middle of a good boxing match, a great sport event or when Columbo or Perry Mason was announcing who the killer was.

Sneaking a drink of beer from your parents and it was perfectly acceptable.

Getting your butt beat for doing something wrong and it wasn't child abuse. It was discipline.
    And teacher were allowed to whoop that azz!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    You could still get leaded gas
    Direwolf:
    You could still get leaded gas
    Regular or Ethyl, super, premium (depending on where you were)?
    And gas stations checked your oil and tires and washed your windshield.
    There was NO such thing as the ebola virus of television... "reality" tv shows
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I remember being 14 years old, taking my $2.00 for school lunch every morning and buying a Coke, a donut, and a $1.25 pack of Marlboro's with it every morning.

I remember being OUTRAGED when the price of a pack of Marlboro's went up to $1.30 per pack and SWEARING I would quit if they ever went higher.

I remember saying the same thing when I paid $4.25 a pack for them in 1999.

And here's one for you MMA fanatics out there - I remember watching actual real boxing heavyweight championship matches on TV regularly. FOR FREE.

You know you're dirt old when you can remember a time before pay per view anything. :-)

Poker Slob:
    When I was a kid, I was teh remote for the TV. :-)

SaVas:
    Cans had pull off tabs.
    Remember when you used to get GLASS bottles out of vending machines?

• jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    remember when facebook mobile app would crash and you couldn't "like" a picture? man, I'm freakin old.
    The Sniper:
    And here's one for you MMA fanatics out there - I remember watching actual real boxing heavyweight championship matches on TV regularly. FOR FREE.

Do you remember watching that phony-assed fight between Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay (I won't dignify the draft-dodging SOB by calling him by his assumed MUSLIM name) when Clay was so dumb he kept missing his cues to deck Liston until Liston finally threw up his hands wide-open so Clay could hit him? What a farce!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread....
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

Do you remember watching that phony-assed fight between Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay (I won't dignify the draft-dodging SOB by calling him by his assumed MUSLIM name) when Clay was so dumb he kept missing his cues to deck Liston until Liston finally threw up his hands wide-open so Clay could hit him? What a farce!!

Ok, you win. You ARE old. LOL!
    That was what, 1965?
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    The Sniper:
    SaVas:
    Cans had pull off tabs.
    Remember when you used to get GLASS bottles out of vending machines?

we used to have one of those machines here at the house. Ill admit, im not old, but around here mullets and jorts are common things, and my elementary school had the old "green screen" computers that took the huge floppy discs, Oregon trail baby!
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

Ok, you win. You ARE old. LOL!
    That was what, 1965?

Right. The rematch was in 1965. There are still questions as to whether Clay connected with that punch or whether Liston just took a dive. To me, it was pretty clear. Dive city, baby.......
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Yeaaaa I'm young..Although I do remember when cars didnt have Sat radio or ipod stuff