Home General Discussion

Travel Questions

scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
I'm going to be away for about a month and I was wondering would a Herf-a-dor with a couple humi-pillows suffice as a mini humidor? My question is more focused towards the pillows will 1 suffice (it is a 15ct)?

Also for future traveling what do I need to take into account when flying and security (ie lighters, cutters, & sticks).

Thanks

Comments

• Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    The one bit of advice is in the us they want you to bring your lighter on the plane with you. The problem I ran into coming back from Jamaica was that they want you lighter in you check bags so I had to give security my zippo blue. Bahamas was no problem though. I would try and check other countries rules if your leaving the us. Cutters are fine in checked bags and you could probably bring sticks on the planes but the pillow is probally going to be an issue so I check those too.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Spencer, instead of a pillow I would slightly dampen a paper towel and put it in a ziplock baggie; either clip an end off or leave it open and you should be fine.

Last time I flew I couldn't take anything like a torch lighter, a BIC is okay in your carry on. Cutters and scissors can be taken in your checked bag.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    They make an FSA approved lighter container that you can travel with. I'm not sure if you can bring it in a carry-on or if you have to check it with your luggage. I only know this because one came in my goody bag at Cigarfest. I had know idea what it was until someone told me. I'll post a pic of it later.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Or you can do what i did ............... I took an aluminum tubo and drilled tiny holes and the filled it with beads, it stays in my Wineadoor till i travel then it takes the place of 1 stick.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    kingjk729:
    Or you can do what i did ............... I took an aluminum tubo and drilled tiny holes and the filled it with beads, it stays in my Wineadoor till i travel then it takes the place of 1 stick.
    What about the gel stick things?
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Also, you can take a lighter, and place it in a lubricated (preferably) condom and....well...you know.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    If you are going to travel with a lighter, it is better if you play it safe and place it in a checked bag. I have been through airport security with a lighter before, but then other times made to give it up. And by the time you go through security, your bag has already been checked. I fly ALOT, and TSA is not the most consistant government agency there is. Play it safe and check it so you don't lose the lighter. Unless ofcourse, it is a cheapie that you are willing to chance.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    scarlin:
    kingjk729:
    What about the gel stick things?
    I use the drymistat and they are good. You shouldn't have a problem with it being less than 2 ounces too. Hell...we had a dozen small bottles full of booze in our bags and as long as they are small enough, no one cared.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    y2pascoe:
    They make an FSA approved lighter container that you can travel with. I'm not sure if you can bring it in a carry-on or if you have to check it with your luggage. I only know this because one came in my goody bag at Cigarfest. I had know idea what it was until someone told me. I'll post a pic of it later.
    I have an extra one of these. It's yours if you want. I'd be safe and put the lighter in it in a checked bag. PM me if you want it
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    As someone who travels nearly weekly and works in the industry I have a little experience with it. You can't carry on torch lighters. Soft flame lighters are Ok so are matches ( my preference when I travel ) in your carry on. Cutters are fine ( I travel with a xi2 and a punch). The one issue with a gel is if the TSA can't verify it is under 3.4 ounces they can take it. Doubt they will if its small enough but Jack Bauer (aka TSA) knows no bounds some times.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.shtm
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm
    These are obviously domestic policies. However, I've not had any problems travelling in the EU or Asia when I stick to these rules.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    bigfnsteve:
    As someone who travels nearly weekly and works in the industry I have a little experience with it. You can't carry on torch lighters. Soft flame lighters are Ok so are matches ( my preference when I travel ) in your carry on. Cutters are fine ( I travel with a xi2 and a punch). The one issue with a gel is if the TSA can't verify it is under 3.4 ounces they can take it. Doubt they will if its small enough but Jack Bauer (aka TSA) knows no bounds some times.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_multi_image_with_table_0099.shtm
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm
    These are obviously domestic policies. However, I've not had any problems travelling in the EU or Asia when I stick to these rules.
    How bout Shrimp , how many of those lil suckers can a guy bring in his carry-on,,lmao
    LMFAO- I've taken 15 pounds of smoked tuna in my carry on before!
    Funny story about fish and carry ons. Coming back from Alaska a few years ago. Someone had carried on fish in some styrofoam coolers. Well they didn't bleed out the fish and after a little turbulence the cooler cracked. Well a few minutes later this chick jumps out of her seat, starts running to the galley and starts screaming that shes bleeding. The blood from the fish was dripping on her head and she hadn't notice until it started running down her face. Funniest thing was she was yelling at the flight attendant give her a free flight for the "inconvenience". We were lucky the FA was calm. Yelling at a flight attendant mid flight typicaly gets you a night in jail, hefty fines for the diversion and black listed from flying. I'm sure she was compensated in some fashion.
    One of many stories I've experienced on my travels.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Speaking of bringing food when flying, I do know that any food brought from outside the USA into the US is subject to confiscation and elimination. I think I saw it on Nat Geo or something..It's all about invasive species and illnesses from elsewhere.
    That is very true... just don`t get searched :p I always bring back ensemada (sp) and oiless peanuts from the philippines. They havnt taken them yet. I get searched routinely. Well every time coming into seattle. I swear Im on a list but they say its `random`.
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    yes coming back from my cruise to the bahamas i picked up some rum cake, still sealed in the box with the plastic and got held up in customs in Jacksonville for 45 min over it.. I finally told them I would eat the dang thing right now if it was such a big ordeal.