Home General Discussion

I Should Know Better By Now

StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
I got my ass handed to me at a B&M yesterday. This place is AWESOME as far as selection and prices. They beat everything I have seen online or locally. The thing is, their salesmen are sharks. It's a beating.

I went in there yesterday with the intent of buying just 3 different sticks. I wanted to get 2 or 3 Undercrown, Oliva V and some Cain f. I know I love those sticks and I should have stuck to the game plan and bought just those. Unfortunately, I got the smackdown by the salesmen.

I had 3 Undercrown, 3 Oliva Vs and was looking for the Cain F. They had rearranged their inventory. One of the sharks asked if he could help me and I asked where the Cain F were. Big mistake. He pointed them out, but then he started putting sticks in my hand. "If you like the Cain, you'll love this... and this...OOH this is a bigtime ass-kicker..." He handed me a 10 pack of Don Linos while giving me the "I got a killer deal on this" crap. Then he sells me a couple Brickhouse dog rockets telling me that if I didn't like them to bring them back. Right. I finally told him that I didn't have anymore money and he immediately turned around and started on another poor moron without even a thank you.

I ended up putting back a couple Olivas and Undercrown to keep from breaking the budget. I should know better by now. I allowed my curiosity to cloud my judgement. Stupid noob mistake. Lesson learned.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I have been in a similar situation, but maybe a little less pushy! The guy started handing me to Rocky Patel's, which are ok but not what I wanted, so I pushed back a little and said, ok lets put those rocky's back! But I know the sometimes overwhelming feeling of having cigars pushed in your face. I would much rather do my own shopping, even if its just grabbing random sticks.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    My favorite line is "I know what you'll like"" then right over to the Perdomo or Patel.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Every place I go I just say I'm just looking and if I need help I get straight to the point and nothing else.
  • SporusSporus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 236
    I stopped through a B&M by my work in SF not too long ago. They're a Viaje dealer so I picked up a bunch of Viaje stuff and a four kicks. They guy was helping said "You have a lot of boutique stuff here, have you ever tried an Illusione candela? These Cain F's are fantastic, too."

I bit my lip and said, "Naw, I'll just take these." (I also grabbed a Dunhill while walking out, how do you just leave that there?!). Didn't really want to tell him "Yeah, I love those sticks, but I can get them for half the price on CCOM." That probably would have been a no-no. Never had a guy try to hand me sticks though.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I use to go to 1 B&M (before I knew better) the humidor was locked and an employee had to be with you and they had to hold the sticks for you. There was a sign on the door saying no more than 2 customers in the humidor at a time with an employee accompanying at all times. Needless to say thast was my first time at a B&M so I didn't know any better, I thought that was standard. Well I haven't been there in 6+ years, good riddance.